Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Jeff, I have just caught up with this topic so sorry if I am going over old ground.

Re the quarry. You could instead, model a transhipment shed. An example being Grassington station. The quarry was some way off, but a narrow gauge system connected it with the railway. The wagons were moved by a continuous cable. At the t-shed, which was a little way away from the station, the wagons loaded with limestone ran up a gradient into the shed. The cable was disengaged with a wooden wedge. The wagons ran forward and at a stop tipped their load into waiting railway wagons below. Be very difficult to do in it's entirety on a model but you don't need moving quarry wagons, just a suggestion of them.

I camped up their when a lad, and we were shaken out of our beds at 6 a.m. by blasting in the quarry. We used to walk down a great hill to Threshfield but on the way back stole lifts in the empty wagons returning to the quarry. Incredibly dangerous, but when you are 14 years old ----well!!

I had the arrangement of a transhipment shed on my old exhibition layout, and it gave me a lot of head scratching as well as pleasure shunting wagons loaded with stone in the very tight sidings, using a little 0-4-0T, before taking them into the station for the onward journey by main line goods, in my case a 2F 0-6-0.

Derek

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I have just caught up with this topic so sorry if I am going over old ground.

Re the quarry. You could instead, model a transhipment shed. An example being Grassington station. The quarry was some way off, but a narrow gauge system connected it with the railway. The wagons were moved by a continuous cable. At the t-shed, which was a little way away from the station, the wagons loaded with limestone ran up a gradient into the shed. The cable was disengaged with a wooden wedge. The wagons ran forward and at a stop tipped their load into waiting railway wagons below. Be very difficult to do in it's entirety on a model but you don't need moving quarry wagons, just a suggestion of them.

I camped up their when a lad, and we were shaken out of our beds at 6 a.m. by blasting in the quarry. We used to walk down a great hill to Threshfield but on the way back stole lifts in the empty wagons returning to the quarry. Incredibly dangerous, but when you are 14 years old ----well!!

I had the arrangement of a transhipment shed on my old exhibition layout, and it gave me a lot of head scratching as well as pleasure shunting wagons loaded with stone in the very tight sidings, using a little 0-4-0T, before taking them into the station for the onward journey by main line goods, in my case a 2F 0-6-0.

Derek

An interesting idea, Derek - one with which I'm totally unfamiliar! Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I'll accumulate them and look into them as time permits.

Many thanks!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Helwith Bridge was interesting with three different quarry's.   One was south of the road on the West bank of the river and had a conveyor across to a siding between the river and the railway.  Remains of this can still be seen, this produced gritstone    The other two were on the west side of the valley served by a triangular junction just north of the village.  The track ran towards the hillside and then divided.  The northern fork ran to Arcow Granite. I'm not sure of the loading arangements.  The left hand fork went to Foredale Lime Kilns, now demolished.  It ran onto loading banks either side of the kilns where 5 plank opens were loads with barrows direct from the kilns into the 1960's.  There was also a transfer siding where coal was unloaded into naroow gauge wagons which were then taken up in a lift to the top of the kilns.  The coal was small, about 1.5".  The kilns also had a narrow gauge incline running down from the limestone quarry at the top (The limestone overlays the ingletonian granite that arcow and the other quarries produce)   The incline went to the floor of the quarry, which can be walked round, then went onto another shallow incline to the higher level quarry at the north end.  this was overhead rope haulage with steel bars with an S shape at the top that were put in the ends of the wagons and then woven through the haulage rope.  On the upper bench there was a circualr track served  by the incline which ahd several branches off it to serve the actual quarry face.  This area was loco worked.   At the bottom a hudswell clark 0-4-0 served teh kins and arcow granite and took trains to and from the exchange sidings in the triangle.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jamie.

The quarry idea is appealing and a justification for an offshoot to the branch line. What I don't want to do, though, is to spend too much time on this area, as it's only a relatively minor part of the layout.

On KL, I spent the last 6 months working on the Fell, walls and cuttings. I enjoyed that, but I don't want it to be at the expense of the station and goods areas.

Keep the ideas coming!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jamie.

The quarry idea is appealing and a justification for an offshoot to the branch line. What I don't want to do, though, is to spend too much time on this area, as it's only a relatively minor part of the layout.

On KL, I spent the last 6 months working on the Fell, walls and cuttings. I enjoyed that, but I don't want it to be at the expense of the station and goods areas.

Keep the ideas coming!

Jeff

Somewhere I've got a picture of the little tank loco that worked the branch which had a little overbridge not far from the main line.  I'll try and scan it.  I've also got the works plate as the quarry mananger was a neighbour.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Update: Well, Jason has convinced me in the most positive way possible that I'll need more roads on the fiddle yard in KL2. His stock boxes must have magic bottoms because wagons, coaches etc of a wide variety of types continue to emerge and the fiddle yard will shortly be full. I'm just off to add a 9F, Brit and 25 to the loco collection....

More pics to follow. I can see the playing haulage tests lasting well into the early hours!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's nearly 1.30am and we're still going strong in the bunker. Here are a few more pics. The goods shed is one of Jason's creations - it's magnificent.

As for the Bachmann Jinty - well, it managed well over 20 wagons at a crawl, round and round...

post-13778-0-89706400-1385169759_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95158100-1385169821_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-72633600-1385169776_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-49691000-1385169781_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 7

Great stuff boys, looks like your having fun already, GOOD JOB I DIDN'T COME THE SAME DAY, there would be no room for J and my BELLY behind the Fiddle Yard let alone another 40 Minerals on the train, hahhaha

Get the Bacon Cobs on Jeff.

Bodge

• RMweb Premium

Bad news, Andy. Jason has eaten all the bacon!!!!

Only joking.... After 3 hours sleep he's already more focused on his next Parkside kit.

Every possible space is taken with wagons and locos - it looks fantastic.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Wetting myself in anticipation already, :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahhaha

Found some more wagons, :O

NOW NEED A ROOF RACK, as well as the trailer. :no:

Splodge :sungum: it

We currently have an Ivatt 2MT with 26 wagons crawling round at speed step 10/128: around 15mph, and an 8F with over 20 wagons doing the same.

There'll be a load more pics later as a friend has arrived with a decent DSLR camera to take a range of photos.

One of my Brits was filling the bunker with raucous sound earlier. It's presently in the yard, silent ahead of a rake of 8 coaches.

And everything running sweetly on uncleaned track.....

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff and Jason

Good to see you're having fun. Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. I like the one of the steam thingy-is it a 9F? passing through the station with the 16t minerals. Love 9Fs but can never tell them apart from a Brit if I can't see the wheels!

Seeing these photos made me realise how much work has already gone into KL.

I've been giving some thought to a solution for getting a realistic-ish quarry exchange siding onto KL2. I'll post a few ideas later.

I'll also have to throw my vote in with those who've suggested keeping the exNER branch separate from the main line.

Lovely weather tomorrow??? so I'm off to the Lakes for some badly needed exercise.

Alan

Looks like you had a great time excellent pictures like 90091 said it shows how much work you've put in.

I know it's in hindsight but I think you should have got you and your fellow lunsters together before the dimise of kl

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I haven't got an Ivatt 2MT but Jason says his is black with number 46406.

Please bring yours if you have one as it's an impressive loco and I'm told the green (Western region Region) Mickey Mouses were very pretty!!!

Jeff