Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

As a starter....

Cut 2 strips of 2mm thick ply, 61cm long (2', as on the board supplied). Width = 14mm (with a 2mm thick platform top this gives the top = 12mm above the rail-top, in accordance with the diagram posted yesterday (railtop - ground = 4mm)):

attachicon.gif100_4557p.jpg

Cut some more 2mm ply to arbitrary lengths - these are internal supports...

attachicon.gif100_4559p.jpg

Season with a variety of cross-strengtheners....

attachicon.gif100_4561p.jpg

Really exciting, eh? NoYES!!!

Jeff

It must be, it involves photo's, now I see there are some more for me to look at, EXCELLENT.

Keep up the good camera work Jeff, it is very much appreciated here.

Chip.

Edited by Chipster

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Chip.

The structure is the base for half of platform 2 - see rough trackplan below. I'll make the other half of the base tomorrow.

I've covered 50cm of the top with a platform top (shown in orange on the plan) - the PVA is setting at the mo - pic later.

post-13778-0-58163900-1383075366_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

Har-har! Found it!

It was actually Steve (sjp23480) not Jason who posted. Sorry chaps! Page 48, Post #1193.

Snip: It was an ex LNWR Super D 49025 running through Dent station. It does not appear to have a tender cab, it is dated 8 July 1958 - so the crew won't have been too frozen! The picture is credited to JE Porter and on page 37 in:

The Scenic Settle and Carlisle Railway: Hellifield-Ribblehead-Ais Gill-Carlisle
Donald Binns
Wyvern Publications, Skipton 1982
ISBN: 0 907941 02 8

Allocation history:

3A           Bescot                                                  01/01/48

10A        Wigan Springs Branch                          06/10/51

5B           Crewe South                                        03/11/56

10A        Wigan Springs Branch                          26/01/57

Withdrawn                                                          15/09/62

As I mentioned at the time, probably one of the regulars through Blackburn. So that’s a Bachmann 31-479, no tender cab. Sincere apologies to you and your wallet Jeff!

Bill :tomato:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

31-479.... cheers Bill. Really good looking model. Very tempted. Good job I'm going away for a few days at the end of the week - nobody in to receive a parcel - so it's stopped me ordering one right away!!

Keep nagging at me and I'll maybe order one next week!

Jeff

• Like 1

Affix support panels to the inside of the platform fascia:

attachicon.gif100_4563p.jpg

Apply cross-supports ad-infinitum to create a network of supports...

attachicon.gif100_4565p.jpg

attachicon.gif100_4566.JPG

Allow to set for a couple of hours.........

Jeff

Hot Glue Gun, set in 30 seconds :no: :no: :no: :no:

Still the dogs doh dahs though :locomotive: :locomotive:

Bodge :O

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff Boss, can you make mine.

Just Bodgit :O

You know me, Andy - if I built your baseboards they'd be strong enough to support your house!!

I just LOVE working with wood....

Jeff

• Like 1

That platform does look good, will the buildings be made the same as Al's and Jason's or are you using that wonderful Hornby Dent Station building that I think you have hiding in a cupboard somewhere?

Old Codger :no:

• RMweb Premium

With regards to the walling (which looks amazing by the way) would it be better having the odd stone out of place as if its fallen off? just a thought as most dry stone walls I see have fallen in one or more place.

Morning Gavin.

There'll be a few bits/sections of walling lying close to the wall. I've dipped it in places to show ruin, but haven't added the rubble yet. I'll probably do that when the sheep appear!

On the other hand, I'll probably forget - so maybe you could check-up from time to time!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That platform does look good, will the buildings be made the same as Al's and Jason's or are you using that wonderful Hornby Dent Station building that I think you have hiding in a cupboard somewhere?

Old Codger :no:

Morning Bodge the Codge....

I'm making the other half of platform 2 at this minute. The framework is PVAd and drying in the kitchen - though it needs a few more bracers adding when the main ones have dried. Then I'll put a top on and fit the two parts together. It's worked out reasonably well - almost no wobble (which I'm pleased about, given the number of bits of wood that are stuck together!)

I'll be scratchbuilding the station building using 2mm ply and Slaters walling for a cover. That job isn't imminent, but you never know - once I get started I tend to become obsessive! 've got the Dent model - it's very nice, but more fun to make your own version. It'll be modelled as close to Kirkby Stephen as I can make it (see posts 8951/8958 page 359). Since I've NEVER constructed a building before, it'll be a learning curve...

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, a sturdy platform there. What are you going to cover them with? Are S&C platforms gravel, tarmac?

Hi Jonathan.

Here are some pics of Kirkby Stephen over a 60 year period: 1906 and mid-60s (last two). The platform surface appears to be tarmac, which is a shame as I'd have liked something with a bit more "pattern" to it. So it may just be a weathered paint job on the ply.

post-13778-0-10637000-1383124969_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-95639400-1383124973_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-94830700-1383125019_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The beauty of having the Dent station building is that you have a placeholder until you can scratchbuild Kirkby Stephen; that's what I have been doing with that completely wrong GN signalbox on Bacup for the last god knows how long !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The beauty of having the Dent station building is that you have a placeholder until you can scratchbuild Kirkby Stephen; that's what I have been doing with that completely wrong GN signalbox on Bacup for the last god knows how long !

Very true. Good thinking!

Platform 2 as it stands. More to do - inside and tops should be on by late evening....

post-13778-0-23991000-1383138418_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-96694800-1383138421_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

That looks really good so far mate, and as Jason says you can use the Dent one as a stop gap but it will also give you a better idea of things like the windows, lintels and badge boards.

Bodge the Old Codger :no:

• RMweb Premium

Evening Andy.

The platform, with tops, is sat under a pile of heavy weights while the PVA sets. The platform ramps at each end will need doing, but that's a job for later.

I'll wait another couple of hours then carry the structure into the bunker and take some pics - probably for about 9pm.

I'm away in Cumbria for the next 5 days, so nothing practical will get done. It'll be the usual phone-posting, so I hope you lot will keep things interesting!

Jeff

• Like 1

Evening Jeff, I can watch on my phone if I can get a signal where we are going, but I can' t post on my phome, well I probably can but I just haven't worked out how, it must be an age thing. :nono:

Tut Tut Technology, :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Fudge :O

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

Tarmac on the platform.  Have I heard somewhere about using wet and dry paper?  The fine stuff tht is.  The end of my platform away from the station building will be gravel so I thought of something like that or sandpaper.

I'm sure I read it somewhere, but not sure if on the web or in a mag.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Jeff, I can watch on my phone if I can get a signal where we are going, but I can' t post on my phome, well I probably can but I just haven't worked out how, it must be an age thing. :nono:

Tut Tut Technology, :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Fudge :O

Funny, that. If you had to use your phone to install DCC sound in a loco you'd learn how to do it in a flash!

Jeff