Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

I recommend against the bow saw, unless you are either:

A. 99.95% swede, with an admixture of meatballs

B.The French Canadian Lumberjack

I'm yet to have anyone take me up on being B, one day I will get a true one come through.

So, the funny story about bow saws (well, 2 man crosscut saw...)

7161337454_5c427db98a.jpgHarryAllen92

John Crook, who is firing in the above photo was at Milton Agricultural Museum in 88 or 89, with us.  One of his mates comes along, and the two of them both soundly trounced all comers on the crosscut.  It seems, experience beat youth and vigour about 2:1 that day.  Both of them were well on the far side of 70, and I wouldn't have bet against the near side of 80.

That's not the funny part...no...

He then looks at the pair of us (Dad and myself), and promptly said:  If you tell Jean (his wife), I will kill both of you. 

He wasn't supposed to do "hard" work, as he'd had heart bypass surgery some time in the early 1980's...when it was quite a lot more risky than it is now. 

He's been dead 15+ years now...

Sounds very much like my old neighbour Alf who was out splitting log with his axe on a Sunday morning just happened to be his 80th Birthday whistling his head off. By then he was using a chainsaw for felling but for many years had used an axe. He would strap it to his bike and ride off into the woods. He had a grand time in the War he was given charge of a group of young ladies. Spending the war in the woods with a group of ladies. Life smiles on some people.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, All,

Merry Christmas and a very happy 2015 to you and your family,

Festive regards,

John.

Thanks very much, John.

All the best to you and your family. NO railways over Christmas for you mate - relax!!  :O  :O

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, Merry Christmas and a Happy BRICKLESS 2015 to you and your Brother.

Cheers Andy!

There WILL be several hundred bricks in early 2015, but there'll hopefully be several hundred quids worth of lovely timber, queuing up for my circular saws to do their duty on!

Brother's keeping well out of it!!

Jeff 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So, as we wind down to the end of 2014, the KL thread exceeds 13,000 posts and 315,000 views.

The thread will be kept open, but I'll start the KL2 thread in early January.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread over the last couple of years.

Jeff

• Like 3

No, thanks to you Jeff for being the ringleader, and Andy Y. for tolerating our tomfoolery both here (in the KL 1 thread) and in the Lounge.

I'll be in and out over Christmas, as I have 6 days off & nothing planned to fill them with.  (well, perhaps a bit of train running on Long Marton, and lego sorting/building, and looking after two lads who are sure to be ever so calm until Thursday AM, after Father Christmas has dropped off presents)

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

No, thanks to you Jeff for being the ringleader, and Andy Y. for tolerating our tomfoolery both here (in the KL 1 thread) and in the Lounge.

I'll be in and out over Christmas, as I have 6 days off & nothing planned to fill them with.  (well, perhaps a bit of train running on Long Marton, and lego sorting/building, and looking after two lads who are sure to be ever so calm until Thursday AM, after Father Christmas has dropped off presents)

James

Thanks James. You're a gentleman. And thanks for all that lumber that Mick showed photos of in the Lounge!!

Best wishes to you and the family in Canada. I bet you'll have more "kid fun" on Christmas day than your lads!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, for the very best in HEAVY DUTY BAEBOARD CONSTRUCTION check out Post #3634 on Page 146 at Bitton, it will make your eyes water, hahhha.

Sublime Andy, Jeff could learn a few lessons from you, the first of which would be how to save the rain forests! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, for the very best in HEAVY DUTY BAEBOARD CONSTRUCTION check out Post #3634 on Page 146 at Bitton, it will make your eyes water, hahhha.

Duly seen and commented on, my good friend!

I don't need to over-engineer the way I do, especially as the mass of the new Fell will probably be around 50kg instead of 250kg.

But you know me - I'm both paranoid and love playing with large(ish) chunks of wood!

Jeff

• Like 4

Jeff,

Thanks for all the support and inspiration throughout this year. Thank you too for marshalling the marvellous diversity of subject matter on here, which has triggered many amazing memories, even at times taking me as far back as school! Where else could we have posts as diverse as Sausages on Bitton through to Quantum Mechanics, with a real variety in between! It has been a magic carpet ride so far and I really relish the extra frisson that the new thread will create - roll on January!

Hope you, your brother and all your expected Christmas guests enjoy the festive season to the full, have a Happy and productive New Year both indoors and out.

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Thanks for all the support and inspiration throughout this year. Thank you too for marshalling the marvellous diversity of subject matter on here, which has triggered many amazing memories, even at times taking me as far back as school! Where else could we have posts as diverse as Sausages on Bitton through to Quantum Mechanics, with a real variety in between! It has been a magic carpet ride so far and I really relish the extra frisson that the new thread will create - roll on January!

Hope you, your brother and all your expected Christmas guests enjoy the festive season to the full, have a Happy and productive New Year both indoors and out.

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thanks very much, Jock. The Lunester "audience" is a wide-ranging one, with lots of different skills and interests. It's a pleasure to be involved with you all.

All the best for the festive season. And, referring to one of our earlier topics, enjoy your malts!!

Jeff

• Like 4

So Jeff's having a skive, feet up in Cumbria and not in the Garage at home clearing it out ready for the Epic Start of KL 2.5 AND A HALF :scratchhead: .

Not many Days  Weeks  Months now to its start, and were all waiting with eager anticipation, baited breath and sleepless nights.

COME ON JEFF.

Pull your finger out. :this:  :this:

PLEASE :laugh:  :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

So Jeff's having a skive, feet up in Cumbria and not in the Garage at home clearing it out ready for the Epic Start of KL 2.5 AND A HALF :scratchhead: .

Not many Days  Weeks  Months now to its start, and were all waiting with eager anticipation, baited breath and sleepless nights.

COME ON JEFF.

Pull your finger out. :this:  :this:

PLEASE :laugh:  :laugh:

I love these posts, Andy. They make me determined to make a start in the garage asap.

When I get home I'll take some photos of the state of the garage interior. And I'll try to remember to start the KL2 thread on January 1 - with the photos.

How does that sound?

Just don't expect miracles. If the garage was empty the conversion would be a doddle - maybe a month. But with all the stuff in there... We'll see!

Jeff

• Like 4

I love these posts, Andy. They make me determined to make a start in the garage asap.

When I get home I'll take some photos of the state of the garage interior. And I'll try to remember to start the KL2 thread on January 1 - with the photos.

How does that sound?

Just don't expect miracles. If the garage was empty the conversion would be a doddle - maybe a month. But with all the stuff in there... We'll see!

Jeff

Morning Jeff, put a note on your phone for 1st Jan 2015;

MUST START KL2.5 AND A HALF,

MUST TAKE PHOTOS,

MUST GET TIMBER,

MUST ORDER NEW LOCOS,

MUST ORDER MORE PLASTER,

MUST ORDER MORE DAS,

MUST ORDER MORE PLASTICARD,

MUST ORDER MORE PARKSIDE KITS.

MUST GO AND SEE BODGITS BITTON.

• Like 8

MUST TAKE PHOTOS,

MUST GET TIMBER,

MUST ORDER NEW LOCOS,

MUST ORDER MORE PLASTER,

MUST ORDER MORE DAS,

You forgot the one vital element;

MUST ORDER MORE GRASS :jester:  :jester: :jester:  :jester:  

• RMweb Premium

MUST TAKE PHOTOS,

MUST GET TIMBER,

MUST ORDER NEW LOCOS,

MUST ORDER MORE PLASTER,

MUST ORDER MORE DAS,

It's a bit scary when you look at a list like that and think of all the other things involved in building a layout.

So many skills to put in place!

Good fun though! The enjoyment more than makes up for any frustration.

Then there's the cost....

Quickly moving on.....!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

It's a bit scary when you look at a list like that and think of all the other things involved in building a layout.

So many skills to put in place!

Good fun though! The enjoyment more than makes up for any frustration.

Then there's the cost....

Quickly moving on.....!!

Jeff

Just HOW Quickly are we actually talking about?

• RMweb Premium

There are 12 Parkside kits waiting here for you, possibly more a I put another order in and am not sure I need all the ones I ordered (mainly 5 plank opens and LMS vans).

We need to organise your next trip to Bingley soon so you can get motivated, get building and ge learning (as well as have a good laugh and have a curry or two)

There are 12 Parkside kits waiting here for you, possibly more a I put another order in and am not sure I need all the ones I ordered (mainly 5 plank opens and LMS vans).

We need to organise your next trip to Bingley soon so you can get motivated, get building and ge learning (as well as have a good laugh and have a curry or two)

Why hasn't he taken them away on his Christmas Trip to his Dads, there's SOD ALL on Telly so he could have had them all built ready for KL2.5 by now. All he would have needed was a Knife and some Mek Pak and a paint brush.