Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Jeff..

Thought I'd introduce them to KL2... so here they are -

post-13274-0-70674600-1416000434.jpg

post-13274-0-24530200-1416000459.jpg

Now officially classed as a rare bread - the Giant Hornby Blackface, in their traditional habitat, grazing the n gauge fell side.

Hopefully I'll be able to rustle up a suitable, green liveried, Class 40 and some out of gauge cattle trucks to get them to Kirkby Luneside!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 6

Jeff, Its apears that YOUR TO BLAME according to Mick, (Donnington Road).  he sent me this in a PM, hahhahaaaahjahhheeeeeeee

HO HO HO HO HO :jester:

Hi Andy,

I hope you and Dee have a had a nice break and recharged the batteries.

I am so sorry for hijacking your thread, it was that Physicsman which made me do it, honestly guv.

Unfortunately it did get a bit out of hand, so to refrain from partaking too much I spent a bit of time compiling an Index of Bitton as a way of compensation. :friends:

I hope it is of use to you, I have indexed the important topics so far. There are four files, all identical but of different formats. If they are any good to you, please use/amend/delete as you think fit.

Kind regards

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, Its apears that YOUR TO BLAME according to Mick, (Donnington Road).  he sent me this in a PM, hahhahaaaahjahhheeeeeeee

HO HO HO HO HO :jester:

Hi Andy,

I hope you and Dee have a had a nice break and recharged the batteries.

I am so sorry for hijacking your thread, it was that Physicsman which made me do it, honestly guv.

Unfortunately it did get a bit out of hand, so to refrain from partaking too much I spent a bit of time compiling an Index of Bitton as a way of compensation. :friends:

I hope it is of use to you, I have indexed the important topics so far. There are four files, all identical but of different formats. If they are any good to you, please use/amend/delete as you think fit.

Kind regards

Eeeeeeeeh! The perils of being so pure in thought and deed..... My honest influence clearly caused a negative vibration in Mick's mind, causing him to wreak havoc in Bitton.

These new Lunesters aren't what they used to be!  :jester:

I'm just sorry I couldn't be a bit more involved as my logins have been a relative rarity owing to my (apparent) OCD with concrete at the moment!

Anyway, now that Mick has "confessed" there'll be a few others who can sleep easier in their beds. Hi Mike!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I'm still working in the garden. A couple of pics.... The first is the "wedge" going on the drive, on which the "summerhouse" will sit. Basically a 3.5m x 3.5m block of concrete. If only the drive had been level, instead of at 4 degrees - it'd have saved me mixing 3 tons of (my favourite) concrete stuff!

post-13778-0-42954300-1416074813_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-48425000-1416074818_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 8

Looking at that precarious shuttering reminded me of working at a job where a proposed swimming pool was having several deliveries of concrete to form the sides, I took one look at the shuttering and told the owner it was nowhere near capable, I got a mouthful of abuse ... yes me... I know you can't believe it....but I did! Anyway the first concrete lorry arrived and an army of navies were scuttling with wheelbarrows, then the second lorry arrived awaiting the first lorry when !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've guessed it, the sides gave in Hahaha, I packed my gear and left quietly :jester:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Looking at that precarious shuttering reminded me of working at a job where a proposed swimming pool was having several deliveries of concrete to form the sides, I took one look at the shuttering and told the owner it was nowhere near capable, I got a mouthful of abuse ... yes me... I know you can't believe it....but I did! Anyway the first concrete lorry arrived and an army of navies were scuttling with wheelbarrows, then the second lorry arrived awaiting the first lorry when !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You've guessed it, the sides gave in Hahaha, I packed my gear and left quietly :jester:

Yes, Mike, I can relate to that. The pics below show the initial shuttering: 16' lengths of 6" x 1" I scrounged from the building site manager. Along with a few bricks it worked very well!

post-13778-0-07396800-1416082466_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-68681300-1416082471_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff

I can't believe the amount of building work you're doing in the garden. Are you keeping a running total of bricks laid and the weight of concrete mixed?

Just think of the money you could have saved if you'd built the house as well ... :)

Cheers

Alan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

I can't believe the amount of building work you're doing in the garden. Are you keeping a running total of bricks laid and the weight of concrete mixed?

Just think of the money you could have saved if you'd built the house as well ... :)

Cheers

Alan

Alan, you shouldn't ask a Physicist a question like that.... data and numbers come naturally. Since you asked, to date:

123 x 25kg cement bags

8 tons sharp sand

8 tons gravel

3.3 tons soft sand

Total concrete mass (including water) ~ 18 tons

Total mortar mass (incl. water) ~ 4 tons

Number of bricks used ~ 2500

Another ton of gravel and 12 more bags of cement arriving on Tuesday. Insane, or what?

Why am I continuing? Well, the sooner the bases are in place, the sooner the sheds etc can be fitted and the sooner I can clean out the garage.

Then I can put my car in it. WHY else would I want an empty garage?  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Jeff's next project is HS2 and a 1/2.

Or re building that wall of Hadrians to keep the Scots out. :nono:hhahahahha

Sorry Jock and Mike, hahhahhahaaahahhhhhhhhhohohohohohoheeeeeee :no:

Now there's an idea. Trouble is, it'd delay KL2 even further! And I don't lay bricks very quickly, so "Grainger's Wall" might take a fair bit of time.

Anyway, it's breakfast time - so I'm off to mix up some mortar. Hope you're still looking forward to some track building, Andy.

Jeff

• Like 4

Now there's an idea. Trouble is, it'd delay KL2 even further! And I don't lay bricks very quickly, so "Grainger's Wall" might take a fair bit of time.

Anyway, it's breakfast time - so I'm off to mix up some mortar. Hope you're still looking forward to some track building, Andy.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, yes a good day building my first Point, and NOT FROM A KIT either, it was actually VERY EASY in the end and above all it works, (pics in Bitton thread).

Hope you had a good day in the Garden mate.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff, yes a good day building my first Point, and NOT FROM A KIT either, it was actually VERY EASY in the end and above all it works, (pics in Bitton thread).

Hope you had a good day in the Garden mate.

You don't want to tell him how easy it was. Jeff will have you doing ALL the points for KL2 if you're not careful

• Like 1

Alan, you shouldn't ask a Physicist a question like that.... data and numbers come naturally. Since you asked, to date:

123 x 25kg cement bags

8 tons sharp sand

8 tons gravel

3.3 tons soft sand

Total concrete mass (including water) ~ 18 tons

Total mortar mass (incl. water) ~ 4 tons

Number of bricks used ~ 2500

Another ton of gravel and 12 more bags of cement arriving on Tuesday. Insane, or what?

Why am I continuing? Well, the sooner the bases are in place, the sooner the sheds etc can be fitted and the sooner I can clean out the garage.

Then I can put my car in it. WHY else would I want an empty garage?  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

I don't know, all those materials for a garden and not a plant in sight. Oh I'm probably dim as usual as you do refer to the KL2 build as 'The Bunker' so I'm presuming all that concrete is the ROOF! :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Duncan, if there was more time available, given all the practical stuff I seem to get involved in, I'd build my own turnouts. As it happens, it looks like I'll have a surplus of the things from KL to use on KL2. However, as I've told Jason MANY times, who's to say that one day I may build some.

Well done Andy. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience - building the points, that is. Well, you did say in the Lounge (yesterday) that you were "getting it out tonight"!!!!!  :angel:  :angel:

And I managed quite a bit today - it was very pleasant once the mist lifted. Zero wind at 7C isn't too bad.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Duncan, if there was more time available, given all the practical stuff I seem to get involved in, I'd build my own turnouts. As it happens, it looks like I'll have a surplus of the things from KL to use on KL2. However, as I've told Jason MANY times, who's to say that one day I may build some.

Well done Andy. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience - building the points, that is. Well, you did say in the Lounge (yesterday) that you were "getting it out tonight"!!!!!  :angel:  :angel:

And I managed quite a bit today - it was very pleasant once the mist lifted. Zero wind at 7C isn't too bad.

Jeff

Mike, you must have your eyes closed. Here are some pics from the last fortnight. If you look "closely" you'll spot about 200 plants!!

post-13778-0-62355200-1416162617_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-44282100-1416162622_thumb.jpg

Jeff

EDIT: Having said that, you could be on the right lines. A nuclear shelter might save me, Mick, Jock, Duncan and yourself from Andy's reprisal sausage attacks!!

post-13778-0-45799700-1416162633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

Hi Jeff,

Oh those are the plants! I told you I was dim and I certainly can't remember a fortnight ago, forty years ago no problem but...... what was I saying????

Looking really good mate but I do hope it rains for a good long while very soon hahaha :jester: As Kitchener said 'The Lunesters need YOU'

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As long as it doesn't rain too much while I'm building the bases for the shed and greenhouse.... Forecast for this week isn't bad. Still haven't got an installation date. Once I'm inside the bunker it can pi** down for 40 days and 40 nights. I'll be as happy as Larry (not of coachmann fame!)

Still looking forward to a visit to the deepest depths of the far-away Wirral!!

Jeff

• Like 5

Mike, you must have your eyes closed. Here are some pics from the last fortnight. If you look "closely" you'll spot about 200 plants!!

attachicon.gifDSCF1623a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1626a.jpg

Jeff

EDIT: Having said that, you could be on the right lines. A nuclear shelter might save me, Mick, Jock, Duncan and yourself from Andy's reprisal sausage attacks!!

attachicon.gifDSCF1692a.jpg

No path to get to prune and trim the trees along by the fence or in the middle of the MUD?

attachicon.gifDSCF1623a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCF1626a.jpg

Jeff

attachicon.gifDSCF1692a.jpg

I see the land behind your fence has been levelled.  Are they about to start more building?

If they are you might want to consider a removable panel in your fence for after hours operations :jester:

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

As long as it doesn't rain too much while I'm building the bases for the shed and greenhouse.... Forecast for this week isn't bad. Still haven't got an installation date. Once I'm inside the bunker it can pi** down for 40 days and 40 nights. I'll be as happy as Larry (not of coachmann fame!)

Jeff

Anytime Jeff, just drop me a PM, weekends are best due to bleeding work!

Jeff

You have been lucky with the decent weather this Autumn.  Trying to do all that brickwork in a normal year and you would still be going well into next Spring, so we are fortunate that KL2 will be starting much sooner than would have been the norm. :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

No path to get to prune and trim the trees along by the fence or in the middle of the MUD?

I'll just shuffle along the edge of the raised beds, Andy. No problem really (famous last words...)

Jeff

• Like 2