Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I have noticed that this fabled 'two weeks' before bunker construction commences appears to be two weeks from whenever you most recently say it :)

Yes, I've noticed that, too! And I've even quoted the same in a PM to Andy York!

Bunker work is 95% indoors. While there's the chance I'm trying to get as much done outside as possible - as you'll have seen in the Lounge. There's loads of exterior building work to do, and I love it.

I also think the sight of the bunker makes my heart sink. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I KNOW how to store most of the stuff once the conversion's done. It's getting that bit done first that'll be fun!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jason / Jeff,

Its a FACT.

Tomorrow never comes,

One second to midnight and its tomorrow.

One second later and tomorrow becomes TODAY.

Yes, I agree with that, Andy. And most of us have a tendency to procrastinate. However, that's certainly not the case here. After my visit to Jason's and then on to Tony/Gilbert's masterpieces I'm raring to go. Trouble is, there's other things to do first.

I was going to put a pic up of the bunker - as it stands today. That'll have to wait until tomorrow (hahahaha) because I don't wish to get blown away by the howling "breeze" if I step outside!

One thing about all the stuff in the bunker..... KL2 will have it's own kitchen as there'll be a fridge, toaster, kettle, microwave, portable stereo and other stuff in there. Maybe I'll hibernate in the garage this winter!

Jeff

• Like 5

Yes, I agree with that, Andy. And most of us have a tendency to procrastinate. However, that's certainly not the case here. After my visit to Jason's and then on to Tony/Gilbert's masterpieces I'm raring to go. Trouble is, there's other things to do first.

I was going to put a pic up of the bunker - as it stands today. That'll have to wait until tomorrow (hahahaha) because I don't wish to get blown away by the howling "breeze" if I step outside!

One thing about all the stuff in the bunker..... KL2 will have it's own kitchen as there'll be a fridge, toaster, kettle, microwave, portable stereo and other stuff in there. Maybe I'll hibernate in the garage this winter!

Jeff

What no room in the house now your sharing! Another change of plans for KL2 to accommodate the above re: kitchen units etc!

• RMweb Premium

What no room in the house now your sharing! Another change of plans for KL2 to accommodate the above re: kitchen units etc!

The house is 60% bigger than my old house, we've had an extension added - and it's already full.

Having said that, once KL2 is underway, I'll be happy to live in the bunker! 

Anyway, Mike, if you're ever up this way, stop over - I've ready-made accommodation - kitchen, carpet and model railway....all in one room!  :O

Jeff

• Like 6

The house is 60% bigger than my old house, we've had an extension added - and it's already full.

Anyway, Mike, if you're ever up this way, stop over - I've ready-made accommodation - kitchen, carpet and model railway....all in one room!  :O

Jeff

WOT ABOUT A BOG?

• RMweb Premium

WOT ABOUT A BOG?

A bog?

Now then Andrew.... I'm an educated gentleman and I'm not used to discussing such "subtleties" in public... :nono:  :nono:

I'm sure Mike (or yourself) will find ways around the problem!!  :O  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:

Jeff  

A bog?

Now then Andrew.... I'm an educated gentleman and I'm not used to discussing such "subtleties" in public... :nono:  :nono:

I'm sure Mike (or yourself) will find ways around the problem!!  :O  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:

Jeff  

Andy, there'll be plenty of plants to water :jester:  :jester:

A bog?

Jeff  

I would need dwarf conifers for cover!

Jeff

You may just regret that brash comment, this weekend is out, just checked Hazel Grove show is on! Hahaha

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You may just regret that brash comment, this weekend is out, just checked Hazel Grove show is on! Hahaha

Once KL2 is operational, you are very welcome to come and play. You never know, you might bump into Jason and Andy. If so, they'll be running trains with 40+ wagons. I think we'd settle for that, but a 15 wagon anhydrite. Dream on!

Jeff

• Like 4

Once KL2 is operational, you are very welcome to come and play. You never know, you might bump into Jason and Andy. If so, they'll be running trains with 40+ wagons. I think we'd settle for that, but a 15 wagon anhydrite. Dream on!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

My mate Allan has offered to have a go at an Anhydrite for me but I just know some manufacturer will bring one out, I just know because everytime I build a kit the same thin happens, my last efforts having waited over 30 years is the Brake Tender! No sooner had I built one an announcement was in the press, so live in hope dear boy, live in hope!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I reckon you are more likely to see an L&Y butter van released RTR in P4 than you are an Anhydrite wagon :)

You're very probably correct, Jason. And with so much to do, I can't see me sitting down to build a batch of kits. You've been struggling to get me to do that with the "easy" Parkside kits, anyway!!

In the foreseeable future it'll probably be collections of a variety of non-anhydrite freight trains, justifiable by reference to the plethora of available photos.

Give me 5 years, when KL2 is "finished" and we'll see what happens.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I find it easier to batch build kits as not only does familiarity seem to speed up the progress but when you come to painting, weathering (and lettering), especially when spraying with an undercoat, etc.

I find batch-building speedy and very convenient, and even spraying them all afterwards isn't too bad. But with batches, it always takes an inordinate amount of time to line things out, apply insignia, varnish, fix glazing, paint individual seats, paint lavatory windows, add corridor handrails, glue in interior, fit corridor connections, roof, polish bogie wheel tyres, fit Bachmann couplings, touch things up and test for running and stability. So most of the time I build one coach and fully complete it before moving on to the next one. The beauty of this is I never tire of the job and my desk gets to be clean and tidy more often!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

I reckon you are more likely to see an L&Y butter van released RTR in P4 than you are an Anhydrite wagon :)

I would use an L&Y Butter van! Erm....is there such a thing?

Jason, "don't be giving me those negative waves" Point for telling me the film that comes from? Anhydrites are going to be made one day I'm sure of it, it will be as soon as I have made my 40 needed!

• Like 2

You're very probably correct, Jason. And with so much to do, I can't see me sitting down to build a batch of kits. You've been struggling to get me to do that with the "easy" Parkside kits, anyway!!

In the foreseeable future it'll probably be collections of a variety of non-anhydrite freight trains, justifiable by reference to the plethora of available photos.

Give me 5 years, when KL2 is "finished" and we'll see what happens.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm going to use 21T hoppers with tarpaulins and at a scale 45mph no-one will ever know!

• Like 2

I would use an L&Y Butter van! Erm....is there such a thing?

Jason, "don't be giving me those negative waves" Point for telling me the film that comes from? Anhydrites are going to be made one day I'm sure of it, it will be as soon as I have made my 40 needed!

'Negative Waves' - that's that hippy tank driver!

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know there was such a thing as an L&Y butter van until Ken Carter showed me the one he had scratchbuilt. Apparently, they were painted in a rather fetching light blue colour.

How hard can the kits be Mike? It's just a bit of folding and soldering :D

And before you ask, the answer is no :)

• Like 1

"don't be giving me those negative waves" Point for telling me the film that comes from? Anhydrites are going to be made one day I'm sure of it, it will be as soon as I have made my 40 needed!

Kellys Heros. Great film - very funny

Donald Sutherland (Oddball)....the hippy tank driver

Edited by 60091

I didn't know there was such a thing as an L&Y butter van until Ken Carter showed me the one he had scratchbuilt. Apparently, they were painted in a rather fetching light blue colour.

How hard can the kits be Mike? It's just a bit of folding and soldering :D

And before you ask, the answer is no :)

That easy eh! I see you're ducking out pronto! :jester:  :jester: My mate Allan is willing to do a kit no problem, just don't know if he'd do another 19, I mean I would settle (get-it) for 20 honest!

• Like 2

Hi all,

Looks like I MAY have solved the slip problem, I have left it tonight with stock actually running through the correct route in all directions. I'll test it for a while before committing solvent to the chairs!

• Like 4