Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Just signed in..... The barbecue with lamb kebabs took precedence over the TV. Annoyed to have missed Julia, though. What was the programme - I'll catch it on iPlayer.

I thought the plan needed re-posting. It seems YEARS (and it's only 5 months) since KL met its maker and proper modelling on this thread ceased!

Jeff

Hi Mate, J (the other one, and NOT Jason either) was on Country File.

It really was good to get the chance to have another proper look at KL2.

I would think that getting some sort of lifting flap is almost impossible but you have several Months to look into that little problem.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

And I was getting quite excited. By the sight of my plan, not J, I hasten to add (ha ha, you believe me).

Oh well, back to my monastic ways....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mate, J (the other one, and NOT Jason either) was on Country File.

It really was good to get the chance to have another proper look at KL2.

I would think that getting some sort of lifting flap is almost impossible but you have several Months to look into that little problem.

I've given a lot of thought to the flap and I don't think it's practically feasible.

So it looks like the "solution" will be a high baseboard level to improve under-board access and minimise the duck-under required. 

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Could you show the entrance as it is at the moment please?

Hi Mick.

At the moment there isn't a bunker - as it hasn't been built.

However, the door is at upper left (the main doors having been locked shut) - as shown below.

post-13778-0-62532000-1399241255_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I would seriously consider having a lifting flap or lift out section in the NER fiddle yard Jeff - that would createa  lot more manoeuvring space inside the door before the bend down or whatever to crawl beneath the big fell etc.

It's only a small fy and at the end of operating sessions the trains could simply be left 'in section' to enable that piece of fy to be removed.  (but then I'm the bloke with an arthritic knee so I tend to give more thought to the need for a spot of flexibility)

• Like 1

Countryfile! The skirt is ploy Jeff, its longer than her legs!

Good grief! Julia B in a skirt? Lifting flaps?

Oh dear, think I need a lie down with a cold compress on my head! Ahem!

Anyway! (sorry 'bout that!),

I do think Mike (SM) has a really good point - as one gets older, ones bones start to complain more & more, my back kills if I have to stand too long or do too much stooping & bending. Probably the legacy of 20+ years of all weather cycling in Derbyshire and environs.

OR, maybe you could design a low seat on wheels (& rails?) that could allow you to scoot under the layout without the bending? (did I mention this before??)

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

May I suggest increasing the size of the access area at the rear of the goods yard, as you don't want to be leaning over too much to couple stock with three links.

Not long now before you start, eh mate? You must be getting excited.

• Like 1

Morning all.

The thing I found most pleasant whilst operating Bacup was being able to sit in a comfy chair and reach all the sidings and uncoupling areas with ease, no frustration of stretching over, no danger of getting the old woolly cardigan caught in the other stock, and no danger of back ache and then NOT BOTHERING to do any shunting at all.

These are all considerations I will give to TLGP as I don't want to be ripping it up in two years because I cant reach certain areas.

Have a good day Boys and Girls.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I would seriously consider having a lifting flap or lift out section in the NER fiddle yard Jeff - that would createa  lot more manoeuvring space inside the door before the bend down or whatever to crawl beneath the big fell etc.

It's only a small fy and at the end of operating sessions the trains could simply be left 'in section' to enable that piece of fy to be removed.  (but then I'm the bloke with an arthritic knee so I tend to give more thought to the need for a spot of flexibility)

That's a very good suggestion, Mike.

Looking at the plan, your idea calls out to be done. The NER yard is relatively secondary in the scheme of things and a lift-out section has a few advantages - and is easy to do.

Yes, I'll do something along these lines!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sorry John. I know the combined thoughts of Julia and lifting flaps may have sent you into a spin. Some people on here need to be more careful with their phraseology - it could end up putting you in hospital!!

Anyway, fair comments about the back aching. I've been suffering for a couple of weeks having moved 120 boxes of books and over 150 large pots of plants a couple of miles down the road to a friend's house. None of us is getting younger!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

May I suggest increasing the size of the access area at the rear of the goods yard, as you don't want to be leaning over too much to couple stock with three links.

Not long now before you start, eh mate? You must be getting excited.

Consider it done, Jason.

It was on the cards - the diagram is vague in that area and access to the goods section was going to have to be a priority.

And yes, getting very excited. The new house should be ready in about 8 weeks. Then the fun can begin!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the input this morning. I'm glad I kept off RMweb for a few hours and gave you all time to submit your considered input.

VERY helpful, as always.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Great to see the planning progressing, and blimey, is it really only 8 weeks or so until you can move in? :O

When you announced the impending doom of KL, it seemed like it would be forever until you got the new house done, and yet here we are.

All the best mate.

Al

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the planning progressing, and blimey, is it really only 8 weeks or so until you can move in? :O

When you announced the impending doom of KL, it seemed like it would be forever until you got the new house done, and yet here we are.

All the best mate.

Al

Cheers Al. It may be only 8 weeks but there's about 2 months gardening after that before I start work in the bunker.

I must admit that I'm enjoying having a bit more control of my money of late.... I'm not being continually tempted to buy railway stuff!

And yes, it hardly seems more than a couple of months since KL went into the skip. It'll soon be Christmas!

Jeff

what'cha mean?  Christmas, oh, the purchase of presents for my assistants has already begun, and more is yet to be gotten.  Much easier to have a decent head start on the mad rush than waiting until Dec 23rd to go shopping !.

Next thing:  Think of something neat for my long suffering wife, who gets to be a single parent for the next month.  I'm leaving on Wed, to Hawaii (the Sandwich Isles, to some of you !) to bring HMCS Protecteur home under tow.  Kind of a sad end to 12 years of my career  life, but the good thing is no one was seriously hurt in the whole rigamaroll. 

I am unlikely to have internet for the next month- so keep the chatter down in here, not more than 100 new pages to read when I get back eh ?

James

(the young 'un)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

what'cha mean?  Christmas, oh, the purchase of presents for my assistants has already begun, and more is yet to be gotten.  Much easier to have a decent head start on the mad rush than waiting until Dec 23rd to go shopping !.

Next thing:  Think of something neat for my long suffering wife, who gets to be a single parent for the next month.  I'm leaving on Wed, to Hawaii (the Sandwich Isles, to some of you !) to bring HMCS Protecteur home under tow.  Kind of a sad end to 12 years of my career  life, but the good thing is no one was seriously hurt in the whole rigamaroll. 

I am unlikely to have internet for the next month- so keep the chatter down in here, not more than 100 new pages to read when I get back eh ?

James

(the young 'un)

That's like asking King Canute to turn back the waves! Can you imagine this lot not having plenty to say?

Best of luck with your task. I'll stick to planning the layout and the house move. Oh, and my Christmas presents!

Jeff

• Like 1

By the time you come back Jeff will probably have moved, and be ordering a rain forest of trees.

Jim will have made a whole forest of trees for Jeff to eat into.

Mick will be controlling the axis of the Universe from his mission control centre.

Rob will have Bulleid everyone to death.

Chris will have the worlds first 3D layout up and running.

John will have seen the light and SOLD all his American and German stock and be doing a Southern Layout based in the Weald of Kent in 1938.

Shaun will be doing his best to grubby his layout enough to be Grim up North.

James will have taken over Lego World and starting a Franchise.

Paul will see the light and change his tag to LMS Forever.

Scott will have us drooling over Stockrington once more.

Jock will be claiming Scottish independence and severing all rail links south of the border.

And finally Jason will have built the Bacup Extension.

O.K. I exaggerated about Jason's one, hahhaha

Oh and I will be wondering if I'm moving or not. :no: :no: :no: :no:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Very good, Andy. I think you included all the main protagonists!

As for moving - well, my brother's furniture is being loaded up and taken into storage as I write this. When it will be taken OUT of storage is a good question.

I'll go and have a look at the building site a week on Saturday: the 17th. Maybe there'll be an embryonic bunker!

In the meantime, we can all do a Mama Cass and "Dream a little dream...."!!

Jeff

• Like 4

John will have seen the light and SOLD all his American and German stock and be doing a Southern Layout based in the Weald of Kent in 1938.

Spooky!!!

Alright, I'm not selling ALL my foreign muck but AM going to be making some strategic reductions!

More later, in "Windley"!

Have a good trip James!

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Spooky!!!

Alright, I'm not selling ALL my foreign muck but AM going to be making some strategic reductions!

More later, in "Windley"!

Have a good trip James!

John E.

You see, you've heard of Mystic Meg? Well, Bodge's alter ego is Prescient Peters.... 

You can imagine him staring into his crystal ball to read the future of modelling.

And when he goes into one of his deep, hypnotic states he sometimes bursts into song:

"I see a little silhouetto of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche can you do the fandango......."

Now haven't I heard that somewhere before?!

Jeff