Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I was so tempted to take a scapel to it last time :)

Go on Jeff, let me.

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBSxAAJ_2SI

Edit: give up watching this after about 10 seconds or it will make you want to smash the PC

Yes, I see what you mean - excruciating!!

I WILL let you fit some link couplings into the Black 5..... but that's as far as it goes!

Jeff

I was so tempted to take a scapel to it last time :)

Go on Jeff, let me.

Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBSxAAJ_2SI

Edit: give up watching this after about 10 seconds or it will make you want to smash the PC

Thanks............................... d.........................................?

Yes, I see what you mean - excruciating!!

I WILL let you fit some link couplings into the Black 5..... but that's as far as it goes!

Jeff

Will you be having a Screw Link Jeff, (can I say that on here?)hahhaha

• RMweb Premium

Will you be having a Screw Link Jeff, (can I say that on here?)hahhaha

Andy, I'm more like having a screw loose with all the things I have planned. I must be crazy.....

And yes, you can say what you like. Don't worry, I'll be offended!  :O  :O  :O  :O

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Good to see the new bunker begin. Sorry for the question, but looks like they have dug out for a centre wall ?

Lots of double garages nowadays seem to have a wall at least partially down the middle.

If this is the case, how is it likely to affect the design of KL2 ?

Regards

Scott

Following my initial reply, I've checked with the site manager and he assures me it's completely open with no centre wall.

Phew! That's a relief....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm off to club in a mo to take some pics of what we've been up to getting the Layout ready for Easter. I'll post some pics in the Lounge later.

Bodge :sungum:

Good to see you're keeping yourself busy. Always good to look at photos to maintain the inspiration level.

Jeff

One thing the pics do show is that with the Coopers Dale section, (the high level) its good to have a lot of scenics below track level to lose the railway through the hillside and not on top of it.

• RMweb Premium

One thing the pics do show is that with the Coopers Dale section, (the high level) its good to have a lot of scenics below track level to lose the railway through the hillside and not on top of it.

Yes, it's always important to remember that the hillside was there FIRST and the railway was fitted into/through the scenery!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I often wondered if the American system of mountains Floor to Celing  might work for the Fell :O

DON'T tempt me! I'm glad I'm building something based on a prototype, because - if not - I'd have certainly considered some kind of multi-level "Gorre and Daphetid"-type construction.

Just for the fun of the woodwork!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've packed 25 locos away - out of their cabinets into their boxes - so far this afternoon.

I hate doing this - the old-style polystyrene boxes are a nightmare with some steam engines. Diesels - a doddle (as most of mine haven't had buffer beam detail added - yet).

As soon as I move it'll be back into the wall cabinets - easy to access, dust-free environment and no danger of damage when needed.

Sorry, had to get a rant off my chest!!

Jeff

Yes Jeff the boxes are PANTS, both Hornby and Bachmann ASSUME you will never need to put them back into the box once all the bits are added.

With B I had to cut away the clear plastic for the front steps and steam pipes, and the same with H  doing the same with the polystyrene.

Also with the early H ones with the plug in tender it needs UNPLUGGING to get it back in the box, and the wires are so fine and delicate anyway.

Also I'm told by Hornby that if you DON'T use the two metal brackets that some come with they will move about in the box and break the buffers, especially the Black 5.

Bodge, :sungum:  Ain't it great to have a RANT on a Friday afternoon when you've heard NOTHING from the Estate Agents. :O

• RMweb Premium

Yes, agree with you there. 

And SNAP regarding the Estate Agents....

We're always busiest at the weekend, viewing wise - when the Estate Agents is shut.....

Rant, rant, rant - it's old age, you know?

Off to do a bit of chemistry...

Jeff

I've packed 25 locos away - out of their cabinets into their boxes - so far this afternoon.

I hate doing this - the old-style polystyrene boxes are a nightmare with some steam engines. Diesels - a doddle (as most of mine haven't had buffer beam detail added - yet).

As soon as I move it'll be back into the wall cabinets - easy to access, dust-free environment and no danger of damage when needed.

Sorry, had to get a rant off my chest!!

Jeff

Jeff, We had to pack away some old locos in their boxes some time ago and to reduce the risk of damage, I sliced the polystyrene lengthways. It is easy to put the loco away with the packing in two halves, then fix it together with a bit of adhesive tape.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Derek. 

The oldest polystyrene boxes are one-piece, some more recent ones are, indeed, cut in two. I prefer the clear plastic packaging that Bachmann have been using for the last 2-3 years.

My scalpel is certainly coming in handy - but what a mess on the floor - bits of poly everywhere!

Another 9 locos away now, so progress of a kind!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Need to do.......................a recount.......................on your

FINGERS......................hahhaha

Bodge :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand: :sarcastichand:

So if I told you I've now got 42 stored away, how many fingers does that imply I have?!  :O  :O  :no:

Jason - Patriot, Black 5 and 20 are boxed but accessible for running on Bacup.

As for the other 20 odd loco boxes..... they are in the bunker - somewhere!

Jeff

So if I told you I've now got 42 stored away, how many fingers does that imply I have?!  :O  :O  :no:

Jason - Patriot, Black 5 and 20 are boxed but accessible for running on Bacup.

As for the other 20 odd loco boxes..... they are in the bunker - somewhere!

Jeff

Sod the Locos Jeff, I was thinking of young Stanley's knife old Jeff's fingers.

Morning all, whilst most sane people are modelling today, Railways that is, (put your cloths back on Jeff) I have just collected a couple of boxes from storage around at my Son in Laws.

They are full of Wagons, carefully laid on layers of bubble wrap, there is about 70 in the box, mainly comprising of 10ft WB Vans and 16T Minerals to take up to the Club for our open weekend.

Now its when you start to to look at this amount, (only about 1/3 of my total Van / Wagon collection that I start to realise just how much storage space I will need on TLGP.

I broke it down the other day to work out just what I wanted, this is my list.

1, 16T Minerals, x 2, = empty up / loaded down, about 20+ on each.

2, Vans x 2, = about 15 to 18 each way.

3, Mixed Goods x 2, = a rake of about 10 to 15 each way for shunting.

4, Parcels x 2, = 6 to 10 each way.

5, Local passenger x 2, = Steam Hauled each way.

6, Local Passenger x 2, = DMU each way 2 car and 3 car.

7, Express Passenger x 2, = about 8 coaches min each way.

8, Possibly second Mixed Goods x 2, = 4 to 10 each way, again for shunting.

So at least a 16 road fiddle yard unless you want to keep lifting stock on and off the fiddle yard, coupling and un coupling in the fiddle yard, (I'm thinking 3 link here) and all that that entails including possible stock damage.

Its food for thought.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

An interesting way of looking at operations, Andy. I'll aim to fit a minimum of 12 roads into the fiddle yard, though 16 may be asking too much.

I'll build in what I can and then adapt operations to suit!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ahh Jeff, you can never have ENOUGH fiddle yard space. Do away with the Fell and do a 24 road fiddle yard. hahhaha

My AGREE is for the first sentence. I don't think I can do without a Fell, do you? I mean, I need an excuse to spend 100 hours building walls for the damn thing, don't I?

Funny, but until KL I never had a fiddle yard. Just shows my ignorance and how much in "toy train set mentality" I used to be!

Jeff