Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Time for a coffee and THE OTHER HALF of the bun before I have another look in the Layouts section.

And :sungum:

Oh, the trials and tribulations of being a railway modeller....

Just how do we survive?

I've forced myself to make a cup of coffee - that's the exercise for the day....

(Actually, Andy, I've been on the exercise bike and rowing machine, but I know you have an allergy to the mere mention of them!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's ok, Andy.

You can put your feet up, get Dee to make you a coffee and cinnamon cake and then you can try to work out what the hell all the squiggles, boxes, colours etc on those KL2 plans I sent you mean!!

Jeff

Time for a coffee and THE OTHER HALF of the bun before I have another look in the Layouts section.

And :sungum:

Andy

What I want to know is, are you eating less buns or just spreading them out through the day.

Plans being reviewed hey! I must admit I'm doing the same but not for the stations as they are fixed but how they will fit in the shed, I need to know so that I can plan the final fixing positions.

• RMweb Premium

Andy

What I want to know is, are you eating less buns or just spreading them out through the day.

Plans being reviewed hey! I must admit I'm doing the same but not for the stations as they are fixed but how they will fit in the shed, I need to know so that I can plan the final fixing positions.

Indeed they have, Jim.

The trackplan is exactly as page 414 (or thereabouts), but I've totally rearranged the positions of the L-girder tables (there will be 5) and worked out the best places to section the boards - for future removal etc.

The diagrams are all drawn up, but I'll not put them on here until the build starts as further changes may follow. It's been a fun few hours though. Anticipation is often the best bit...

Jeff

• Like 1

Indeed they have, Jim.

The trackplan is exactly as page 414 (or thereabouts), but I've totally rearranged the positions of the L-girder tables (there will be 5) and worked out the best places to section the boards - for future removal etc.

The diagrams are all drawn up, but I'll not put them on here until the build starts as further changes may follow. It's been a fun few hours though. Anticipation is often the best bit...

Jeff

I'm still trying to get my head around it, If the Green L goes to the Blue bottom bit how does the yellow bit fit in between the orange and red?

Confused but that's NOT HARD. :no:

• RMweb Premium

Hattons have said the Midland Brake vans will be in stock this week, have you ordered any Jeff, your goods trains will need them?

Oh dear, I hadn't expected that. I've got a few spare funds so I'll go and have a look. And yes, I will be needing one or two.

Cheers Jonathan.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I'm still trying to get my head around it, If the Green L goes to the Blue bottom bit how does the yellow bit fit in between the orange and red?

Confused but that's NOT HARD. :no:

Andy - that's the WIRING diagram.....

Look at the diagram marked L-girders!! The brown one's connected to the pink one.... the pink one's connected to the yellow one.....  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of them.

I just said one or two to KID myself.

If someone has the relevant Bachmann model number..... it'll save me searching.

Good job I cancelled my class 40 or I'd be bankrupt!

Jeff

I spy Bill!! Welcome to the thread Mr Mythocentric.

Your input has been missed.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Bodge would say "I'm off for my coffee and bun"

I'll say "I'm off to do some Chemistry tutoring"

Hope to find some interesting comments - and the brake van serial numbers (!!!!) on here when I return....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What you need is the LMS Brake vans Jeff; the Midland ones that Bachmann are producing (that Parkside do a kit for) were pretty thin on the ground in the early 60's and mainly seen on engineering trains, etc (e.g. used for departmental). The Hornby Stanier Brake van is basic but is of the kind that lasted in large numbers through the 60's, with some examples lasting much longer. I'm not sure if it is still in their catalogue and if it is, it's probably in some bizarre made-up livery but there are tons of them on eBay; older ones will need re-wheeling with Romfords but that's not going to break the bank.

I've tarted up one already (the middle one), another is part way through (the grey one) and another is as it fell out of it's red box (the left hand one). Basically, I've removed the moulded on brake shoes and used clasp brakes from old Parkside kits, glued in position behind the solebars to the correct(ish) spacing, with the grey one having theirs closer to EM ( :) ). The ballast box beneath the van is missing from the model but is easily formed from Plastikard. Moulded handrails removed and replaced with 0.45 wire.

I just wish I could think of an easy way of glazing the internal windows.....

BrakeVan_zpsf43dad61.jpg

Edit: the middle one started out in some bizarre made up livery.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jason.

That's very useful information and, if possible, I'll try to stick with the prototype as much as possible.

It also saves me a bit of money in the short term!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

What you need is the LMS Brake vans Jeff; the Midland ones that Bachmann are producing (that Parkside do a kit for) were pretty thin on the ground in the early 60's and mainly seen on engineering trains, etc (e.g. used for departmental). The Hornby Stanier Brake van is basic but is of the kind that lasted in large numbers through the 60's, with some examples lasting much longer. I'm not sure if it is still in their catalogue and if it is, it's probably in some bizarre made-up livery but there are tons of them on eBay; older ones will need re-wheeling with Romfords but that's not going to break the bank.

I've tarted up one already (the middle one), another is part way through (the grey one) and another is as it fell out of it's red box (the left hand one). Basically, I've removed the moulded on brake shoes and used clasp brakes from old Parkside kits, glued in position behind the solebars to the correct(ish) spacing, with the grey one having theirs closer to EM ( :) ). The ballast box beneath the van is missing from the model but is easily formed from Plastikard. Moulded handrails removed and replaced with 0.45 wire.

I just wish I could think of an easy way of glazing the internal windows.....

BrakeVan_zpsf43dad61.jpg

Edit: the middle one started out in some bizarre made up livery.

Have you tried Glue n Glaze, Jason? See Ray's signal spectacles #497.

Polly

• RMweb Premium

Or how about Bulllfrog Snot :no: :no: , sounds disgusting but I'm told its good for glazing.

AND YES IT IS ACTUALLY A PRODUCT YOU CAN BUY IN THIS COUNTRY. :O

Andy :sungum:

Now there's a piece of modelling information that won't be finding a place on KL2!!

Amazing what you can buy these days.....

Jeff

• Like 1

Now there's a piece of modelling information that won't be finding a place on KL2!!

Amazing what you can buy these days.....

Jeff

I suppose it depends on how far you want to go with the details. With Jason educating you, anything could happen.

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I just hope you don't use  GORILLA SNOT which is a much used brand of hair gel on sale in El Salvador.  The logo shows a gorilla with it's thumb on one side of its nose squeezing out some product.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

I just hope you don't use  GORILLA SNOT which is a much used brand of hair gel on sale in El Salvador.  The logo shows a gorilla with it's thumb on one side of its nose squeezing out some product.

Jamie

Amazing! And in 6 months time - when some sort of work has started on KL2 - we'll look back at the Index and marvel at your revelation, Jamie.

I think I'll change hobby and take up topiary. I don't think that uses either Bullfrog or Gorilla body fluids.....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Amazing! And in 6 months time - when some sort of work has started on KL2 - we'll look back at the Index and marvel at your revelation, Jamie.

I think I'll change hobby and take up topiary. I don't think that uses either Bullfrog or Gorilla body fluids.....

Jeff

Yes, I thought the teenagers that were talking to me were using some slang till they took me to a shop and there were three varieties on sale.  I brought a tub home for each of my kids who thought it was ace.

Jamie

I thought bullfrog snot was a replacement or aid for traction tires? Does it dry clear then? 

Do you what, I THINK YOUR RIGHT, I don't know what colour it dries, someone just told me about it some time ago.

SO JASON

DON'T USE BULLFROG SNOT. :O

Andy :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Dare I say it but if I was to glaze them, it would be by hacking the floor out and adding Plastiglaze as the gluey stuff that sets never looks quite right to me.

I wonder if the roofs come off? They had to get the weight in there somehow.......