Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

No Garrett for me either I'm afraid, even though they would run through Wye Dale I just cant see it getting around the curves I may end up with, and then there will only be room for about 10 or so wagons behind it so a bit ridiculous me thinks.

But there again I suppose I could :O                NO NO NO  :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

BEHAVE :no:

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Have got the day free due to my client cancelling while I was loading the truck. Says the room isn't ready for his book case as the drywall isn't finished. That's what I get for busting my cahoonies this week working until eight at night. Still mustn't grumble I can put todays efforts on the bill and that'll pay for that J11!

So I'm off to finish Queensburys signal box and then I'll make a start on the stone station building.

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 2

No Garrett for me either I'm afraid, even though they would run through Wye Dale I just cant see it getting around the curves I may end up with, and then there will only be room for about 10 or so wagons behind it so a bit ridiculous me thinks.

But there again I suppose I could :O                NO NO NO  :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

BEHAVE :no:

You need at least three Garratts to have any credibility at all where I come from.

Rob

Toton

• Like 2

An interesting looking loco, Rob. I know the "Garratt" loco configuration was used all over the world and the Heljan-Hattons model will be welcomed by many.

Not my cup of tea, though. I'll stick to my 8F, 9f and G2As for hauling heavy freight.

Jeff

I've had to give you a 'disagree' there Jeff. You'll need a large extra room on the new house, but this is a small price to pay for modelling the Garratts, the imposition of LMS management and engine crew and train-operating practice on the 1930s-50s railway scene. Also LMS and more, MIDLAND practice on proven Beyer Garratt design. like they replaced pairs of 0-6-0s on long heavy trains but didn't tell the drivers to stop with the FRONT larger tank beside the water crane, and the pairs of water cranes used for pairs of 0-6-0s were differently spaced from those needed for the Garratts ... and there were 18 sand boxes, and they had so much braking power that guards sometimes got a rough time 80 loose-coupled wagons back, etc etc etc, all VERY BRITISH) could describe it as 'how much could the working railwayman endure?'

There's always ONE in every crowd !

Oh no, wait, I'm 'it'. Or that other gentleman B.Odge..

The first user-review of the Garratt (Heljan section) is not very encouraging, bent parts, broken valve gear, indifferent assembly, mine is in the mail, so I will appreciate my DoG and Brits all the more in the meantime.

Thread drift. sorry

• RMweb Gold

I read somewhere else someone say that he would not spend more than a £100.00 on a loco, but classed the Garretts as TWO locos so he would buy one.

My layout is not big enough, and I do not intend to have an NGG16 if I ever get a 009 layout.

Edited by ChrisN

Hi Jeff,

No Garrett for me neither, don't like them, don't look British, limited route availability, especially round spirals :senile:  :senile:  :jester:  :jester:

Rob, do you hail from Toton then? I worked there in the 70's for my sins, it certainly wasn't for the money!

• RMweb Premium

Seriously folks, if we're going to start dishing out "disagrees" then it's hardly worth discussing anything - because we can't possibly agree on everything.

More specifically, I don't model Southern, but I don't choose to disagree with those who like those engines.

The strength of the Lunester threads is that people are free to state what they wish without others jumping down their throats. 

I CHOOSE NOT to run a Garratt and PREFER to run 9F, 8F etc. That is my preferred choice and it is a STATEMENT of fact, not something that's up for discussion.

If we are going to start playing games like this I'll ask Andy Y to shut the Lounge. And YES, I am annoyed about this.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Garratts. Those who like them, fine. I like them but can't justify one - for a variety of reasons.

I'm saying no more on the subject. Discuss further in the Lounge if you wish.

KL2 has its established roster and is open to further additions in the future.

Jeff

• Like 3

Have you decided on what type of Goods Shed you will have on KL2 yet? I.E. will it be a copy of KS or will it be something a bit different?

I like the one on Mr Kirtleys Layout and that would be a nice size to model, I want one with big end and side doors so that you can see the detail inside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Steady on Jeff those of us who appreciate what you did with KL1 wouldn't expect you to change what you want just because we say so. We may comment rather heavily now and then but rule 1 its your railway applies.

Even if someone can show a Garret on the S&C it still wouldn't be a normal roster and wouldn't add to the S&C atmosphere.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you decided on what type of Goods Shed you will have on KL2 yet? I.E. will it be a copy of KS or will it be something a bit different?

I like the one on Mr Kirtleys Layout and that would be a nice size to model, I want one with big end and side doors so that you can see the detail inside.

The photo on the right show KS shed and the plan below is generic S&C. Since the plan has a scale and different viewpoints, I'll probably use that....

post-13778-0-31465800-1393630246_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02362400-1393630253_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Steady on Jeff those of us who appreciate what you did with KL1 wouldn't expect you to change what you want just because we say so. We may comment rather heavily now and then but rule 1 its your railway applies.

Even if someone can show a Garret on the S&C it still wouldn't be a normal roster and wouldn't add to the S&C atmosphere.

Don

Cheers Don.

My knowledge is evolving all the time, mainly thanks to the input from you guys on here. I've also accumulated a very extensive library of photographs to guide me with loco and wagon choice.

If I put anything remotely "S&C incongrous" onto KL2 I expect you to come down on me like the proverbial "ton of bricks"!!

Jeff

Seriously folks, if we're going to start dishing out "disagrees" then it's hardly worth discussing anything - because we can't possibly agree on everything.

More specifically, I don't model Southern, but I don't choose to disagree with those who like those engines.

The strength of the Lunester threads is that people are free to state what they wish without others jumping down their throats. 

I CHOOSE NOT to run a Garratt and PREFER to run 9F, 8F etc. That is my preferred choice and it is a STATEMENT of fact, not something that's up for discussion.

If we are going to start playing games like this I'll ask Andy Y to shut the Lounge. And YES, I am annoyed about this.

Jeff

Sorry Jeff it was meant entirely as a joke, having prefaced it with a suggestion about a new room on the house, I thought you knew that I totally respect your modelling choices and didn't for a moment intend anything but humour, the Garratts being totally and completely inappropriate for KL.

Sincere apologies

Rob (and Mike, no, I don't live in Toton, I live in New Zealand)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob, PM sent to you which I hope will explain my rationale.

Apologies from me for over-reacting.

The matter should now be closed and we can get back to ripping each other to bits as usual!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Can someone rip me to bit's please,

it seems it'll be the only way to lose some weight, hahha

Andy, (the NOT THAT FAT controller) :O

You always find a way to extract humour in any situation. Sometimes known as taking the .....

I hope you haven't given up on that diet of yours?

Anyway, all that activity on Kingsley will burn a few calories off.....

Jeff

• Like 1

Oiiiii you, NOT THAT FAT just pleasantly rounded in all right places.

I am content with my body, although Dee says different.

Anyway re the Garretts thanks for the info, I didn't realize that as I know they were at Burton, Derby and the like.

Had a good day at Mansfield yesterday, only one Steam Layout and that was a Midland Terminus by Derek Glensthorp's, Sutton Junction.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Oiiiii you, NOT THAT FAT just pleasantly rounded in all right places.

I am content with my body, although Dee says different.

Anyway re the Garretts thanks for the info, I didn't realize that as I know they were at Burton, Derby and the like.

Had a good day at Mansfield yesterday, only one Steam Layout and that was a Midland Terminus by Derek Glensthorp's, Sutton Junction.

Did you take any photos that are worth posting on your thread or in the Lounge?

I'm surprised you were at Mansfield - you seem to be posting on here all day!!

Jeff

Did you take any photos that are worth posting on your thread or in the Lounge?

I'm surprised you were at Mansfield - you seem to be posting on here all day!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, just stopped for coffee and HALF a Belgium Bun, Mansfield is a small friendly show run by Ian Mellors to raise funds for the Church. Only about a dozen Layouts in total, apart from Bretton Midland, Werrington Road, Friresgate,(all Modern Image) and Sutton Junction (Steam / Transission) there wasn't much else to see, a couple of American ones, and a Modern Image N Gauge one that was about it.

David Wright was there doing his Buildings Demos with DAS and Paul Chetter showing the Zimo Sound Chips in both Steam, (Un Rebuilt West Country) and a couple of Diesels.

My main reason for going was to pick up a couple of bits I needed to do work on Kingsley.

I will post a few pics in the Lounge as they are not suitable for KL.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, just stopped for coffee and HALF a Belgium Bun, Mansfield is a small friendly show run by Ian Mellors to raise funds for the Church. Only about a dozen Layouts in total, apart from Bretton Midland, Werrington Road, Friresgate,(all Modern Image) and Sutton Junction (Steam / Transission) there wasn't much else to see, a couple of American ones, and a Modern Image N Gauge one that was about it.

David Wright was there doing his Buildings Demos with DAS and Paul Chetter showing the Zimo Sound Chips in both Steam, (Un Rebuilt West Country) and a couple of Diesels.

My main reason for going was to pick up a couple of bits I needed to do work on Kingsley.

I will post a few pics in the Lounge as they are not suitable for KL.

You had me worried there - so I rushed to the Lounge to check...... Only a few-train pics.... what a relief!  :jester:  :jester:

All photos gratefully received as they stoke-up the enthusiasm for what's to come. I've added a further comment in the Lounge!

Jeff

ps. Hope you enjoyed the HALF Belgian bun. Al sent me those incriminating photos.......  :O  :O