Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jeff and I saw that on Saturday at Haworth; in fact, Jeff may have the photos still. It looked like an Austerity that had been involved in a head on crash !!!!!

They aren't cheap.

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough, the B1 that Jeff brought along to tempt me with was missing it's front coupling hook (the moulded one) so we glued in a replacement, albeit a scale Lanarkshire one rather than a screw link.

I should point out here that I never put any pressure on Jeff or tried to sway him towards 3 links, in fact I did say that he should consider another method if his goods yard is going to be a reach or if he doesn't put an access point / panel for the controller over at the rear access area for the goods yard. I just handed him an uncoupler (and old Argos pen with a bit of wire glued in the end) and he was off.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff and I saw that on Saturday at Haworth; in fact, Jeff may have the photos still. It looked like an Austerity that had been involved in a head on crash !!!!!

They aren't cheap.

Here they are:

post-13778-0-72457600-1393261835_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-98864200-1393261839_thumb.jpg

Looks very similar to the USA S160 class loco number 6046 often seen on the NYMR - here it is at Grosmont in October last year:

post-13778-0-87763400-1393262472_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Its FOREIGN, that's all I know.

When I booked my driver experience at the GCR five years ago I asked what loco pool was likely, could not get an answer, I then asked will it definitely be British, still no definitive answer, so I reluctantly had to take a leap of faith and had a half decent result, I got the 2-10-0 Austerity (90775), not quite an ex-BR loco itself but I did see them in Glasgow from time to time usually at St.Rollox 65B (Balornock) so it was not too much of a disappointment. The experience was brill to be honest.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike,

Yes, it is quite remarkable - especially as KL has already had over 600 views today (well, 600 pages have been looked at, one way or another). Clearly there's nothing to entertain the punters!

Ordered "The Furness Railway - A History" today. Fantastic book - I've borrowed Jason's copy after the weekend. Not S&C, but links into it and all the other local lines since 1840ish.

Jeff

Hi Mike,

Yes, it is quite remarkable - especially as KL has already had over 600 views today (well, 600 pages have been looked at, one way or another). Clearly there's nothing to entertain the punters!

Ordered "The Furness Railway - A History" today. Fantastic book - I've borrowed Jason's copy after the weekend. Not S&C, but links into it and all the other local lines since 1840ish.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Now then you see I would naturally give that book a miss as it sounds primarily pre-grouping and I'm a staunch BR man. I don't mind some pre-grouping content in a BR based book but I don't find that period very interesting. I know I'm blinkered --- just like a 'Britannia or 9F'

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Jeff

Jeff,

You will find a very nice 4-4-0 in there built by Sharpe Stewart.  Lovely looking machines and good performers apparently.  None survived until BR days so there will never be a R-T-R. (sigh).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Now then you see I would naturally give that book a miss as it sounds primarily pre-grouping and I'm a staunch BR man. I don't mind some pre-grouping content in a BR based book but I don't find that period very interesting. I know I'm blinkered --- just like a 'Britannia or 9F'

I can understand that, Mike. My interests lie post 1948, and more especially the transition era.

But the Furness book is spectacular for me because I hail from Barrow and it's almost a chronicle of the development of the town and area.

As for Brits and 9Fs - well, the "locos of the gods"!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Brits and 9Fs - look great on Western rails, too.

It sounds as if you and Jason had a cracking time.

Waiting now for the fruits of your labour but don't work too fast I'm struggling to keep up on here as it is.   :mosking: 

I saw a bit of Jason's handiwork at Butterley last year.  Most impressive and certainly lets you know what to aim for

and having stayed in Kirby Stephen last summer, I'm excited to see your model of it under way.

Terrific.

Polly

• RMweb Gold

I've just managed to catch up with the thread having been about 5 pages behind for some time. Glad people are enjoying the pictures, and I must admit that a number of them do have a slight slope as mentioned. That one picture without any trains is reversed, i'll correct it in my files. This is another pic, taken 27/8/67 of 4498 from almost the same spot, with a second shot showing the viaduct. A bit out of focus and some light damage, but they set the location.

post-6902-0-57886200-1393364938_thumb.jpg

post-6902-0-97663300-1393365006_thumb.jpg

One thought about superelevation. While it is probably impractical, one thing that might be effective is to have the two tracks at slightly different heights, inside curve above outside. It was the difference between the lines which was often  more obvious than the actual superelevation.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The photos may be slightly damaged, Dave, but better slightly damaged than not taken at all.

I've been selective with the photos from your wonderful archive. However, you can tell from the KL, Lounge and Dent threads that they have been much appreciated. Once again, thanks very much for making them available. The wealth of detail shown for us S&C modellers cannot be underestimated! Especially ballast, track colour and general scenery.

I've got a couple of green A4s - don't encourage me to run them on KL2!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's alright, Rob. You can be forgiven for going soft when it comes to Britannias.

I know you currently have no layout, but do you ever get the chance to run any of the large collection you've acquired?

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice Brit Rob,

Jeff, just been trying to catch up, I'm out all day today, and no time now, maybe tonight AFTER a couple of hours on Kingsley.

Will I be laying track and some Grass tonight?

And :sungum:

I doubt it. If you are starting the boards today, by this evening you'll be applying the finishing touches!!

I'll pop over and have a look - and I expect to see the green stuff!! (It's more than you'll see on here at the moment!)

Jeff

I doubt it. If you are starting the boards today, by this evening you'll be applying the finishing touches!!

I'll pop over and have a look - and I expect to see the green stuff!! (It's more than you'll see on here at the moment!)

Jeff

I don't know. I think many of us are green with envy. :help:

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I'm frightened to have a look at Bodgit's Kingsley, the threat of grass being applied today only drives me to put some on mine......and I don't have any fells yet, what am I going to do.

Mike, you have to RESIST.

Look at this photo - from July 2012 on KL:

• post-13778-0-23316500-1341077688_thumb.j

Bodge was asking for grass even then. He finally got it - 15 months later!!!  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Get Jeff over to the Wirral, he'll make your fell whilst you make him a coffee, mind you your Shed will have a mighty sag under its weight with 8 x 4 timbers to hold the polystyrene  up hahaha

Bodge :scared:

This is, indeed, true!

I'm thinking of buying some of that new-fangled steel reinforced polystyrene for the Fell. Got to build it to last. They'll probably unearth it as a fossil in 50 million years!

Jeff

Hi Jeff and Andy,

In reply to you both I have a solution. Jeff to come over to do the fell, Andy to come over to do the grass, I'll fix Andy's boards and I'll cut down Jeff's 8" x 8" timbers into USABLE dimensions..........that's got to be a bargain!