Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Cheers Mark.

I wondered who it was who'd been looking through the thread. You probably know more about it than me!

Yes, it was great going onto that viaduct. Plenty going on round here - and how can it not be a laugh with Jason around.

Back from the curry - time to get something to eat!

Jeff

As I say Jeff it took ages but there has been a lot But enjoyable

The pics of bacup you took are good pity bacup has changed from back in the old days

Mark

More from Bacup. Pity Andy has gone to bed!

attachicon.gifDSCF0075.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0076.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0078.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0085.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0087.JPG

Jeff

Its a good job I'd gone to Bed,

Otherwise I'd have said they were all a bit blurred.

It must have been the shot of Whiskey in my coffee.

Really good set if pics there Jeff, and I love that 4F video bit, well done and chrres

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Well done young Jeff, a really nice job, very neat. looking forward to seeing the pics of it finished TONIGHT, hahahaa

And :sungum:

Work on the station has been suspended until my next visit - when we'll do the windows and plastikard. Should be in the next few weeks.

For the last hour I've been shunting a right old mix of stuff that Jason gave me. In the end, I separated it into opens and closeds! Pics of the first - with a DIESEL (class 24) running - are given below:

post-13778-0-16185200-1393160831_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-55171400-1393160839_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

And the final bit of running, before I go home, to complete the shunting problem. A Fowler Crab tales away the remaining 16t minerals and 5 plankers...

post-13778-0-17848200-1393162026_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-39802500-1393162033_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've just seen Jeff off from Bacup Station. He's off on the Wakes Weeks special to Ingleby Barwick with his snap, his bucket and spade and his knotted hankerchief in case the sun comes out. Hauled by 45512 Bunsen (of all things).

What a cracking weekend; playing trains, making things, real steam locos, visiting viaducts, eating curries, coffees galore and more than anything else, laughing our heads off almost constantly at a load of crap (literally at times :D )

Various055_zps67875a8c.jpg

Various054_zpscc4becf6.jpg

Various053_zps179700f5.jpg

p.s. Jeff is now a shunting addict. he also admitted to liking 3 link couplings, once he'd got used to them :D

• Like 10

Great report Jason, Looks like loads of fun, some wonderful pics from some great angles.

I do like the ones looking along the line from the goods yard to the buffers.

I knew Jeff would enjoy the shunting and using the 3 links, the question is; have you got him addicted enough or will he go back to tension locks or Kadees once he has got over the excitement of it all.

I love the look of the Terminus and one day I would love to incorporate a proper Terminus and goods yard. It also give the excuse for a proper Steam Shed and Turntable full  of atmosphere.

Great stuff guys.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Wow! What a weekend you have had Lord Lunester, how the heck did you fit in a visit to a preserved line, walking a viaduct, scratchbuilding a station structure and some 3-link shunting? Sorry, I'm not having it, you have been at Jason's for at least a week :nono:

Seriously though, The pictures were well worth the wait, Bacup is an astounding model and you can only do a better job of KL2 having worked alongside Jason, tremendous effort guys. Jealous of Wirral.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've just seen Jeff off from Bacup Station. He's off on the Wakes Weeks special to Ingleby Barwick with his snap, his bucket and spade and his knotted hankerchief in case the sun comes out. Hauled by 45512 Bunsen (of all things).

What a cracking weekend; playing trains, making things, real steam locos, visiting viaducts, eating curries, coffees galore and more than anything else, laughing our heads off almost constantly at a load of crap (literally at times :D )

Various055_zps67875a8c.jpg

Various054_zpscc4becf6.jpg

Various053_zps179700f5.jpg

p.s. Jeff is now a shunting addict. he also admitted to liking 3 link couplings, once he'd got used to them :D

I couldn't begin to describe some of the humour over the weekend - it'd turn a few people pale!! Absolutely brilliant! Thanks Jason, and I look forward to another 15 hours of scratchbuilding, 15 hours of shunting, 4 hours of curry eating and almost ZERO hours of sleep in a few weeks time!!

Jeff

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Great report Jason, Looks like loads of fun, some wonderful pics from some great angles.

I do like the ones looking along the line from the goods yard to the buffers.

I knew Jeff would enjoy the shunting and using the 3 links, the question is; have you got him addicted enough or will he go back to tension locks or Kadees once he has got over the excitement of it all.

I love the look of the Terminus and one day I would love to incorporate a proper Terminus and goods yard. It also give the excuse for a proper Steam Shed and Turntable full  of atmosphere.

Great stuff guys.

Yes, Andy. The shunting was great and I really DO like the 3 link method.

Depending on how difficult it would be to convert, say, a dozen locos and 100 wagons (time isn't a problem), I would STRONGLY consider this method of shunting on KL2.

It took me a couple of hours to "acquire the knack" and it was excellent solving the wagon problems Jason provided. It was also fun having 2 operators independently running locos on Bacup at the same time. I'll look into getting a second handset for my Lenz system.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Wow! What a weekend you have had Lord Lunester, how the heck did you fit in a visit to a preserved line, walking a viaduct, scratchbuilding a station structure and some 3-link shunting? Sorry, I'm not having it, you have been at Jason's for at least a week :nono:

Seriously though, The pictures were well worth the wait, Bacup is an astounding model and you can only do a better job of KL2 having worked alongside Jason, tremendous effort guys. Jealous of Wirral.

Mike, as I said in a post yesterday/Friday, the layout is a lot better than it looks in the photos. So that's saying something.

The answer to fitting all that lot in was 7 hours sleep over 2 nights out of the 42 hours I was at Jason's. The large amount of caffeine and bracing environment of West Yorkshire also helped....as did the stonking curries!

And I agree - I have learned a great deal. KL2 can only be the better for it.

Btw, it's a good job I came home. I was turning into a "shunting junky"!!

Jeff

• Like 3

Good to see that you had a great time Jeff and it would appear that these layout exchange trips can be a lot of fun as well as educational and inspiring.

Good to see you embracing 3 links too and roll on station build pt2.

• RMweb Premium

What do you mean TURNING INTO?

Believe it or not, this weekend is the FIRST proper session of shunting - on a top notch layout with a proper coupling system - that I have ever done.

I'll have to keep a lot of tension lock couplings in the short term, but I think a suitable alternative will start to be installed, starting the next time I see Jason. I never realised shunting could be so much fun, and I can now understand why people build entire layouts around the concept - yourself included.

I liked the Kadee idea, but, without trying, Jason has me sold on the 3-link method. Looks so good, too!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff,

Glad you had a good time.  Will you be building more stuff now you are home or are you just waiting to go back?

Hi Chris.

I've left all the stuff with Jason at the mo. I need to practise his window and plastikard technique, with a bit of guidance from the Master. Once that's underway I envisage the Goods shed, platform halt and a few other structures to emerge entirely under my own steam.

Jeff

• Like 2