Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

The third photo is stunning.

Can we expect high ballast shoulders and telegraph poles on KL2?

Duncan

Hi Jeff,

Re: Duncan's question: The photo below of Bermuda Rd shows the ballast shoulders made up with track laid direct to 1/8" cork and this was bevelled to approx. 45deg. with a craft knife, this produces quite an acceptable shoulder. I think.

post-5296-0-37795200-1392757869.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mike. I'll probably end up doing something very similar.

Do you have a view on the third photo (post # 11452) - which I think is a reversed view of Blea Moor north portal. Right near Dent, of course!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jason, I've got a set of drawings passed on to me via Ian Macdonald (KS West layout). For example:

attachicon.gifStation drawing 1.JPG

attachicon.gifStation drawing 2.JPG

I have them on my laptop, which I'll bring with me.

Jeff

Just printed these out and I've noticed that they seem to differ; the first diagram shows the road elevation as different to the second, at the right hand side of the drawings. So, which is correct? I am hoping the bottom drawing because when printed off, it came out as exactly 2mm:1'

• RMweb Premium

Never mind; just looked at the photos a couple of pages back and it is the top plans (Station drawing 1.jpg) which are correct; the other plans are for a different station I would guess

• RMweb Premium

And I've noticed that KS has 4 chimneys, not the 3 shown on the plans....

post-13778-0-08069300-1392807503_thumb.jpg

Jeff

EDIT: The plans I posted the other day have all 4 chimneys. The ones today have 3. Jason, I suspect the very first pic IS correct, as you deduced.

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, it definitely is. Just trying to measure and convert it to 4mm scale measurements now (Excel is great). Overall station building length, for instance, is 388mm

That sounds good - I estimated around 40cm when I planned the platforms (which run to about 140cm).

Very quiet on here. I'll have to liven things up once KL2 starts!!

Jeff

Jeff

I think you need to just find acg_mrs or Freebs home address and go borrow theirs as a nice place holder. Al's colouring is probably more suitable as the window colour and single story is closer. Have considered this myself. :angel: I think Sasquatch was messing with the fancy pieces on his...a bit further to go though you could just copy his idea.

• RMweb Premium

The plans don't include the cloverleaf shaped masonry at the top of the gable ends.

Who made these damned plans up?  Are they just trying to confuse us?

p.s. I have prepared some stone (plastikard) sheets; from the above shots, it looks like I got the colouring not far off :)

• RMweb Premium

The plans don't include the cloverleaf shaped masonry at the top of the gable ends.

Who made these damned plans up?  Are they just trying to confuse us?

p.s. I have prepared some stone (plastikard) sheets; from the above shots, it looks like I got the colouring not far off :)

Sounds like we're in for a fun time!! Looking forward to it.

Just remember, I'm not building a copy of Kirkby Stephen. It only has to have the S&C Midland "feel" about it. So exact correspondence in detail isn't required.... if I supplied pics from Appleby or Garsdale the detail would be subtly different, even thiugh the general outline was the same.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You say that now Jeff but it won't be long before you are as sucked into this scratchbuilding malarkey as much as Al, Lee and myself are, and wishing you'd added the weird cloverleaf things. Trust me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You say that now Jeff but it won't be long before you are as sucked into this scratchbuilding malarkey as much as Al, Lee and myself are, and wishing you'd added the weird cloverleaf things. Trust me.

You could be right, Jason. But in the short term it'll be difficult - you should see my house with lots of my brother's stuff piled up. And it'll get worse!

In the long term there'll be all the jobs at the new house, and eventually it'll be the basic bunker and layout work.

Give me 2 years and you can hold me to your prediction! Probably.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Come on Jeff, you must still have that Kitchen Table and a Craft Knife. :O

Andy :stinker:

I do have the table but it'll be a lot easier when I'm back in the groove building KL2. Much easier. One of my "problems" is that railway modelling is only one of a few major hobbies. When the bunker was available, 90%+ of my time was spent on the railway. Now, the balance is being redressed and - to be quite honest - the other hobbies have a clear priority.

That will change, of course, but I'm quite happy with the situation. So don't necessarily expect miracles after I've been to Jason's!!

Jeff

• Like 1

I do have the table but it'll be a lot easier when I'm back in the groove building KL2. Much easier. One of my "problems" is that railway modelling is only one of a few major hobbies. When the bunker was available, 90%+ of my time was spent on the railway. Now, the balance is being redressed and - to be quite honest - the other hobbies have a clear priority.

That will change, of course, but I'm quite happy with the situation. So don't necessarily expect miracles after I've been to Jason's!!

Jeff

So do you have a list of Locos For Sale, HHAHheheheeeeeee

The Grateful Bodger :stinker: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

So do you have a list of Locos For Sale, HHAHheheheeeeeee

The Grateful Bodger :stinker: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

You tried that move with Rob. Did he not offer to sell you some of his fleet?

Anyway, you have enough locos already!

Jeff

I may sell some of my Eastern Region stuff, A1, A2, etc. I now have a couple more Blue Diesel so I can run Blue / Speedlink for some variety and with Sound as well.

I also have a spare 08 in green with Sound and I'm taking the sound chip out of one of my Green 37's to fit into the Blue one. I will then move the spare green 37 on.

If I was still having a Shed / Depot on the Layout I would have kept them but a moving 37 weathered is a moving 37 weathered, (mind you I have 3 x Black 5's).

Again with just the small yard there really is no justification for 2 x Sound 08's so its sense for one to go.

I will be starting a small Layout for our Clubs Open Weekend at Easter, the final plan hasn't been decided as yet but it will be about 5ft x 18 inches or so. I have a spare 6 x 2 board at the Club, but that is just a tadge to big to go into the car easily so needs a trim.

More updates soon.

BTW did I mention that I'm also hoping to move house this year. :no: :no: :no:

And :beee:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That all sounds very logical, Andy, but don't just sell for the sake of it. Your new shed layout could sometimes double-up for other regions and you may regret having rid yourself of the A1, A2 etc. In the same way as you've done with all those Southern locos.

I DO hope you move this year, for the sake of your sanity. It now looks like there'll be legal completion on my new house sometime in June, so it's going to start getting a bit chaotic with 2 houses worth of stuff funnelled into one! If you aren't moved by September, come and spend a week helping me work on KL2!

Jeff

That all sounds very logical, Andy, but don't just sell for the sake of it. Your new shed layout could sometimes double-up for other regions and you may regret having rid yourself of the A1, A2 etc. In the same way as you've done with all those Southern locos.

I DO hope you move this year, for the sake of your sanity. It now looks like there'll be legal completion on my new house sometime in June, so it's going to start getting a bit chaotic with 2 houses worth of stuff funnelled into one! If you aren't moved by September, come and spend a week helping me work on KL2!

Jeff

Jeff the LITTLE Layout won't be a Shed, just a yard / or something simple, just a couple of points and some nice scenics.

WHAT DO I KEEP SAYING

Just a couple of points :O

simple :nono:

nice scenics :no:

I'll be modeling a plain field next and saying its HS2, just not finished yet :sungum:

• Like 1

Jeff

We won't be quite as bad but we will have both the bedrooms furniture and the Lounge stuff all in the Lounge whilst we decorate the 2 Bedrooms and the hall plus hang 6 new doors and have the carpets laid in the bedrooms BEFORE we start moving the beds in there.

We will be living / eating / Sleeping (or trying to) in the Lounge.

The Kitchen will also be re furbished at the same time.

Oh and did I mention the Garage :O

Andy :beee: