Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Have you got scale drawings off the station buildings Jeff? If so, bring them along.

Jason, I've got a set of drawings passed on to me via Ian Macdonald (KS West layout). For example:

post-13778-0-78920800-1392590515_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-17677200-1392590550_thumb.jpg

I have them on my laptop, which I'll bring with me.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to order stuff from York Modelmaking it is better to do a CAD drawing of the item and email them the .dwg or .dxf file otherwise it can get rather expensive.  I used them for the platform awning glazing bars for Green Ayre.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, looking at the station plan view, on the far left you have a room marked "Dust" which has no apparent entrance or exit, just a window.

I'm fascinated... :O

Al.

I always thought it was where they kept the dustbins, though how they would get them out of a room with no door is another matter! Amazing the curiosities you see on old plans.

Doubtless someone out there will know the answer!

Jeff

Jeff, looking at the station plan view, on the far left you have a room marked "Dust" which has no apparent entrance or exit, just a window.

I'm fascinated... :O

Al.

Hi Al,

If you look at the end elevation there is a small door half way up the wall, this would be the access and probably the floor would be at this height with the coal below from the other room.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

If you look at the end elevation there is a small door half way up the wall, this would be the access and probably the floor would be at this height with the coal below from the other room.

Ah, cheers Mike, I'd thought that was a window, but looking again it's as you say a small door.

• RMweb Premium

The third photo is stunning.

Can we expect high ballast shoulders and telegraph poles on KL2?

Duncan

The third photo is impressive with its low view and slow curve.

As for KL2, I'm considering fixing the track onto a 40thou plastikard (1mm) base on top of the cork in order to create a deeper shoulder than last time. The PVA technique (adding ballast ONTO glue) works well, but even with a second layer it doesn't come out as deep as the traditional method. Also, this time I'm aware of the need for a better shoulder - last time I didn't think it through.

I already have about a dozen lovely telegraph poles - never used them on the last layout. Now if I can only find them!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Great set of pecks :O :no: , pics you have there Jeff, it must have been working out

when to post them, hahahhaha

bet you weren't expecting that at this time of night :boast: :boast:

And :drag:

Yes, I know, Andy. But I bet you've been working out all day....all that arm movement up and down lifting those cakes!  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

I've still got a few more photos up my sleeve....

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The third photo is impressive with its low view and slow curve.

As for KL2, I'm considering fixing the track onto a 40thou plastikard (1mm) base on top of the cork in order to create a deeper shoulder than last time. The PVA technique (adding ballast ONTO glue) works well, but even with a second layer it doesn't come out as deep as the traditional method. Also, this time I'm aware of the need for a better shoulder - last time I didn't think it through.

I already have about a dozen lovely telegraph poles - never used them on the last layout. Now if I can only find them!!

Jeff

Bad idea for a couple of reasons I can think of straight away, first being it will be a pain to glue it to the cork, the track to it and finally, the ballast down. Second, any noise deadening and springiness of the cork will be totally and utterly lost although using PVA does this anyway.

C&L do different thicknesses of cell foam underlay which is easy to chamfer, cut, glue down, etc. Failing that, thicker cork.

I really can't think of one advantage of using Plastikard, and it will cost you a small fortune.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've never used cork as a way to deaden the sound because, as you say, the PVA locks everything together and negates the cushioning. I use cork as a smooth track base on top of the board.

I'd consider 1/16 inch cork for the shoulder, but 1/8 (3mm) might be bigger than I want/need.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I think what is needed - when I get chance - is an experiment....

Now as a scientist I should know that. So prior to tracklaying - as I've done with ballasting and painting - I'll do a few trials to see how the 1/8 " shoulder looks.

And you're right, Andy - cheap floor tiles from Wickes is my source too. Used to get them from Homebase, but maybe they went out of fashion there! I've also bought some via Amazon.

Jeff

• Like 1

I've never used cork as a way to deaden the sound because, as you say, the PVA locks everything together and negates the cushioning. I use cork as a smooth track base on top of the board.

I'd consider 1/16 inch cork for the shoulder, but 1/8 (3mm) might be bigger than I want/need.

Jeff

You can still build up either side of it.

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, I'm going to post an idea in the Lounge, but DON'T GET TO EXCITED JUST YET, its not the S & C.

Andy :sungum:

I reckon the majority of posts in the Lounge aren't S&C, which adds to the interest.

Anticipation growing - is it a track plan for TLGP!!?? Duncan will be excited!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Well, all the action is in the Lounge at the moment, where Andy is "unveiling" his layout thoughts on paper.

Last night's discussion re. ballast shoulders has set me thinking..... I will probably use 3mm cork to set a deeper shoulder on the double mainline and keep the branch and goods areas as I did last time.

I'll stick to cork - which I've used for years - and chamfer it with a scalpel.

Jeff

• Like 3

Another 4 of Dave's evocative 1960s S&C pics:

attachicon.gif2-19-2008_001p.jpg

attachicon.gif2-19-2008_005p.jpg

attachicon.gif3-10-2008_034p.jpg

attachicon.gif4-10-2008_012p.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Loving the photo's, just to be different the first one is my favourite looking at Wild Boar.

Do you know where the third one is?? I cannot place it and it's bugging me!!

Quote from yourself   "I've still got a few more photos up my sleeve...".

They are no good up your sleeve, get them on here, PLEASE.

Chip.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chip.

I think the third photo is the lead up to Blea Moor North tunnel. I think the problem in recognition may be because the third picture is printed the wrong way round - it needs flipping left to right.

Compare these two pics, the first is Dave's, the second is from Google...

post-13778-0-72279900-1392751947_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-92602800-1392752009.jpg

The wall arrangement close to the tunnel portal - which I modelled - looks the same, though the vegetation has grown on the moor in the intervening 40 years!

Jeff

• Like 5