Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Each to their own liking. Some will prefer the sight of a loco - on shed or being made ready to do its days work. Others prefer the assembled train.

Until recently I'd always been in the first camp. How often did I run the loco round and round my old layouts by itself?

With KL things changed. With the space to run a loco and over 30 wagons it makes you appreciate the "dynamic" of the thing. Not the easiest object to photograph, but a weathered steam engine and a rake of suitably mucky wagons (preferably with loads, though I haven't got there yet!) is a sight to behold.

I'll have an occasional solo loco on KL - maybe a shunter ready for action. But the majority of locos will be put to the task they were built for - pulling rolling stock.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

NO NO NO :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Macdonals, Kentucky, roadside cafes, most coffee shops.

DONT BUY THEM FOR HEAVENS SAKE MAN. :O :o :O

I GRAB A HANDFULL EACH TIME I GET A CHANCE. :O

Andy :sungum:

Problem is, Andy, that these are not the kind of places I regularly visit.

If I remember correctly, I was last in Burger King in 2005!

Btw, agree about the Bulleids. Once KL is well underway I'd be tempted to acquire a few MNs for a future project. However, by that time we may find the quality of the model has been "dumbed down" below the spectacular standard of the early 2000s (I don't like "design clever").

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It has taken 20 years to build 70 odd Parside kits. Good luck with that! As for scratch building stock. Maybe one a month and that's if you don't get bored or worse, (micro strip blindness) and move onto something more invigorating.
I will put my hand up to being a stock geek. The 21/24Tonners might all look the same as they slowly trundle by behind a grubby 2-8-0, but take a closer look and there's not two the same.

The next phase of Grim up North is underway. Even though the layout building is still acting as a woodwork shop for the foreseeable future I'm building structures for that Queensbury triangle! It'll certainly be encouraging when layout construction begins having all the buildings ready to plonk!
So if you find yourself doing a stretch without a layout. Don't despair get to work on the stock and loads. Or get stuck in on those structures.

In the office today so have liberated a ton of coffee stirrers for you Jeff ;)

Who would have thought the coffee stirrers thing would have provoked such interest? ;)

BTW - my first attempt at stock weathering in my layout thread :)

• RMweb Premium

Coffee stirrers have all sorts of uses.  A friend of mine is using McD ones to build relay cabinets for Green Ayre, they are the exzct size we need for the side planks that support the cabinets. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Who would have thought the coffee stirrers thing would have provoked such interest? ;)

BTW - my first attempt at stock weathering in my layout thread :)

Coffee stirrers have all sorts of uses.  A friend of mine is using McD ones to build relay cabinets for Green Ayre, they are the exzct size we need for the side planks that support the cabinets. 

Jamie

This is why the Forum threads are so useful. It does make me chuckle though, bringing back images of Blue Peter....

"Now today we're going to be building the interior of Blea Moor tunnel using coffee stirrers..."

But if it works, great! Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff

P.S. I was quiet on here last night as I went through ALL 87 pages of the Layout Topics section, and found some very interesting projects that seemed to fail quite early on, including my Marston on about page 70 ish.

Back laters mayters :no:

• RMweb Premium

They also make great fencing, track crossings, wagon loads, lorry loads, yard piles, and back scratchers :O :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Blob Scratchet :scared:

Hey hey, was wondering when you'd chip in with your take on things.....

Since we've filled a page with coffee stirrers the question is - what's next? 

Anyway, never mind the stirrers - I need more coffee to help me recover from last night's Chinese meal overdose!

Then I'm going to continue looking at old photos of freight formations, as suggested yesterday.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, yes I'm lurking, but not from work as they still have not the IT sorted out - after three months! Just put in my letter letting them know I will be retiring at the end of October - more time for modelling!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, yes I'm lurking, but not from work as they still have not the IT sorted out - after three months! Just put in my letter letting them know I will be retiring at the end of October - more time for modelling!

Hi Jonathan. I'd give you multiple "likes" if it were possible....

Congratulations!

I noticed you mentioned more time for modelling. What about SWMBO?  :jester:  :jester:

Jeff

Hi Jonathan, I can thoroughly recommend retirement, but I now need a railway room back,hahha.

Enjoy.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't stay in bed that long mate... i just have to get up and do stuff  :sungum:

Funny you say that. If I manage 5 hours in bed these days it's a miracle!

Even when I was at work I used to work on 6 hours tops.

Too many things to do and certainly not enough time to go to work!!

Jeff

Funny you say that. If I manage 5 hours in bed these days it's a miracle!

Even when I was at work I used to work on 6 hours tops.

Too many things to do and certainly not enough time to go to work!!

Jeff

Yes, I hear you...

sleep walking can be debilitating...... :lazy:        but posting in your sleep... :gamer:    that is a first   :imsohappy:

Edited by Kal

Hi Jeff and all,

Good god there are some wild discussions on here today!

Coffee stirrers - an absolute godsend for all those fine detail timberwork jobs.

Loco's -v- Stock - I love my loco's, always have. looking at my last layout 'Chestergate & Milne' I had a nice main line station with small station and MPD next to it, I had representatives from all 4 regions running with correct type stock for their supposed journeys and really enjoyed the light engine moves back and forth to the main station and the push-pull ex LMS shuttle between both stations. I then thought about doing and MPD layout for exhibition and Bermuda Road was born, although I really enjoyed building and operating Bermuda Road I really missed the 'train' type operations as all I could feasibly run was MPD / TMD stores trains. Then the flood came and while this was disastrous it gave me the opportunity to build a once in a lifetime super-duper (I hope) layout for once based on a real place (Dent) and run real proper trains again. So I can see both arguments but luckily for me I (will) have the best of both worlds one day.

Retirement  - can't even spell it, not a bleeding chance.

Going to eat now!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I might just build an ARK instead of a shed.

And :O

I think I shall rename you "Noah".

Then, when people ask, I can tell them that I used to noah bloke on here called Andy/Bodgit!!!

Jeff

ps. SORRY - that is TERRIBLE humour. You can laugh now.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and all,

Good god there are some wild discussions on here today!

Coffee stirrers - an absolute godsend for all those fine detail timberwork jobs.

Loco's -v- Stock - I love my loco's, always have. looking at my last layout 'Chestergate & Milne' I had a nice main line station with small station and MPD next to it, I had representatives from all 4 regions running with correct type stock for their supposed journeys and really enjoyed the light engine moves back and forth to the main station and the push-pull ex LMS shuttle between both stations. I then thought about doing and MPD layout for exhibition and Bermuda Road was born, although I really enjoyed building and operating Bermuda Road I really missed the 'train' type operations as all I could feasibly run was MPD / TMD stores trains. Then the flood came and while this was disastrous it gave me the opportunity to build a once in a lifetime super-duper (I hope) layout for once based on a real place (Dent) and run real proper trains again. So I can see both arguments but luckily for me I (will) have the best of both worlds one day.

Retirement  - can't even spell it, not a bleeding chance.

Going to eat now!

Yes, Mike. I completely agree with that viewpoint.

Though KL/KL2 has been designed to mimic prototype working, there will still be opportunity to run individual locos in various guises. If needs be, I can say the loco was unloaded and "under test" after repair.

If that argument isn't sufficient, I'll invoke Rule 1 and to hell with what anyone thinks!

And yes, Dent WILL be super duper.

Andy - an ark is a good idea. While you're building it, kit out one of the lower decks as a barn-sized railway layout. Not sure how the trains will cope with the waves, mind. Though you could invest in some DCC Concepts "Powerbase" to improve the adhesion!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Though you could invest in some DCC Concepts "Powerbase" to improve the adhesion!!

Jeff

Being DCC Concepts, you may want to render yourself deaf first, in case it starts clicking like a demented grasshopper with a megaphone :D

• RMweb Premium

you could always used the stockpiled coffee stirrers to build the ark!

(sorry, this thread is going Lounge-wise. We need some more modelling)

Don't worry, Lee.

It IS the reason I created the Lounge - otherwise KL would now be nearly 600 pages long....

However, any KL or S&C-related topic is still welcome on here. Including coffee stirrers!

Jeff