Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I am having a similar problem to Andy, with my plans to run track round all the walls (and door for that matter but that's another problem) running out of Room to use as actual workshop space.

Billy, believe it or not, I had the same problem with KL. Once the layout filled the 16' x 12' space there was nowhere left to work. So I ended up in the kitchen, using an old table.

The same thing will happen with KL2. No matter how much space you have, the layout always seems to swallow it up - voraciously!!

Jeff

If any of you haven't had a look at Mike's DENT thread, go and look at the superb photos he's just posted.

My mouth is salivating - can't wait to get going!!

Jeff

Have to agree with the above Jeff, it is superb ans I want to start NOW.

Bodge :sungum:

You two need to slow down and wait until you have something to build in. Gives us mere mortals a chance to put something together.

• RMweb Premium

You two need to slow down and wait until you have something to build in. Gives us mere mortals a chance to put something together.

Ok Billy, it's the end of January. I don't think I'll be laying any track until the end of December. Is 11 months long enough?

I can't speak for Bodge, though. He'll start in May and be finished by the end of June - if he takes it easy!

Jeff

Ok Billy, it's the end of January. I don't think I'll be laying any track until the end of December. Is 11 months long enough?

I can't speak for Bodge, though. He'll start in May and be finished by the end of June - if he takes it easy!

Jeff

Jeff

I hadn't realised you would be that long without laying track. Are you able to make use of the time modeling buildings and scenery to put in place once your move is complete,

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

I hadn't realised you would be that long without laying track. Are you able to make use of the time modeling buildings and scenery to put in place once your move is complete,

The simple answer to your question is "yes", though I'm presently doing nothing. I intend to have a go at the station building next month, but I've an awful lot on my plate here - TWO complete houses worth (my brother's, as well) to get sorted and moved, so I don't want to add to the clutter.

If I start work on converting the garage in September, I ought to manage some track in place by the end of the year.

Jeff

Jeff

Why wait till May, I'm NOT going on Holiday for 2 Months, hahhaaa

Bodge is back. :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't sure of the timetable for your move, Andy, so guessed at May.

Any news on that front?

I've just got out some S&C plans for Dent station and been looking at them as I worked through Mike's thread. It's great fun, and if there was ever a need to stimulate the urge for trackbuilding I'll look on there - or Bacup!

Jeff

• Like 1

Wasn't sure of the timetable for your move, Andy, so guessed at May.

Any news on that front?

I've just got out some S&C plans for Dent station and been looking at them as I worked through Mike's thread. It's great fun, and if there was ever a need to stimulate the urge for trackbuilding I'll look on there - or Bacup!

Jeff

No news on the move as yet, and as for inspiration I really am struggling to fit a workbench / spray bench in where there's natural daylight. I was thinking of putting the fiddle yard along under the window with hinged boards over the top as a work bench, and lift up to expose the fiddle yard when running.

Either way I am struggling to get the Viaduct, (6ft) Engine shed and turntable, (10ft), Station, (8ft min), goods yard, (6ft min) all in without looking stupid.

I have worked out a looped 8 but that replaces the fiddle yard with two large sets of loops off the main line.

OR I could do a 8ft x 2 ft shunting yard, hhaa

I still like Jason's terminus as with Borchester Market and its great for operation, but I need a good run, I am trying to avoid gradients as that makes wiring the boards harder.

I too am shuffling through some books although all my best / most informative ones are packed.

Oh well, I'll trawl though some more threads in the layouts section for some divine inspiration.

Bodge :no:

• Like 1

Hi Jeff and all,

Thanks re: the Dent comments.

You can't beat looking through track plans for inspiration, all my layouts have had an 'influence' from somewhere or other usually due to space restrictions nothing more.

Andy's shed...If you go for that style mate, make sure you fit a blind if not north facing, it will act as a magnifying glass if we ever see the sun.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, the usual adage - less is more!

With KL2 I've a lot more space to play with than any previous layout. But the trackwork in the scenic section is considerably less (8 turnouts fewer) than on KL and resembles the Kirkby Stephen prototype as much as I can manage, given the space. Obviously, I've put more thought and track into the fiddle yard, but - again - that shows a bit of thought. Up until 2 layouts ago I just wanted as much rail as possible and no fiddle yard.

Stupid!

As for gradients - not a chance. I learned from experience that it was much easier without them. Besides, it's much more fun to make the landscape rise and fall around the track! And you don't have to worry about whether your steam loco hauling 40 wagons will make it round the layout!

If you are going for your roundy roundy something will have to give. With your love of yards and shunting, it may have to be the viaduct.

Sorry - I feel like I'm teaching you to suck eggs! (Not the bull p** you mentioned in the Lounge!!)

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff and all,

Thanks re: the Dent comments.

You can't beat looking through track plans for inspiration, all my layouts have had an 'influence' from somewhere or other usually due to space restrictions nothing more.

Andy's shed...If you go for that style mate, make sure you fit a blind if not north facing, it will act as a magnifying glass if we ever see the sun.

Mike, as you'll be aware, I love watching layout construction. Especially if it's got the scenic element and is close to prototype!

I'm assuming the 2 helixes (helices) are now functioning well.

Jeff

Evening Jeff

I've been playing catch-up this evening after work and some internet issues got in the way. :O  :O

The photo diary was great. It reminded me of some of the little bits (except the size of the timbers :jester:  :jester: ) that had been forgotten about. :sungum:  :sungum:

BTW, you don't want to start planning when things are going to start on the layout. Just look at the Gr**s issue and when that eventually started. :O

Duncan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very true re. planning timings, Duncan.

Who can say what delays or accelerations may occur?

It's just a case of setting a target date, mostly for my own encouragement. I spent well over a year planning KL before any garage work started. It wasn't a problem waiting to get the track down. Having really enjoyed all of that, the situation with KL2 is very different. I now know what to do (amazing how ignorant I was, pre KL!!) and waiting is quite irritating!

Nevermind. There's plenty on here to keep me amused. And, btw, I'm glad Al suggested the photos thing. It reminded me of a number of details I'd forgotten!

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff

At the moment I'm not planning any timescales for OP Mk2. There are too many aspects of real life to deal with first.

The only plans I've got are the track plan thanks to Jason who put me right and I'm in the middle of planning the signal box.

Duncan

Mike, as you'll be aware, I love watching layout construction. Especially if it's got the scenic element and is close to prototype!

I'm assuming the 2 helixes (helices) are now functioning well.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The helix (2 off) (I don't know the spelling either) have only been tested with a few loco's and a selection of stock but I know I won't be able to run 12 or 13 coach trains but with selection I should be able to run 10 or 11 coach sets, time will tell. If not I'll rip them out build an extension and have a roundy-roundy - no chance!!!!

I've only those two sidings to lay and wire up the them and few other bits then attack the control panel, then and only then can I try a proper testing of the whole concept......wish me luck!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

The helix (2 off) (I don't know the spelling either) have only been tested with a few loco's and a selection of stock but I know I won't be able to run 12 or 13 coach trains but with selection I should be able to run 10 or 11 coach sets, time will tell. If not I'll rip them out build an extension and have a roundy-roundy - no chance!!!!

I've only those two sidings to lay and wire up the them and few other bits then attack the control panel, then and only then can I try a proper testing of the whole concept......wish me luck!

Look forward to the walls being demolished and the roundy roundy being put in place!!!! 

I'm sure the helix system will work fine - we await the videos of it all in action.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Jeff

At the moment I'm not planning any timescales for OP Mk2. There are too many aspects of real life to deal with first.

The only plans I've got are the track plan thanks to Jason who put me right and I'm in the middle of planning the signal box.

Duncan

Yes, he's a bit of a star when it comes to track plans and prototypes!

Maybe I should have left the KL2 trackplan update for a few months to give me something to do. Having everything planned, including materials and costings, tends to make you "itch" to get building. And, like you, there's plenty of other "real-life" things to get in the way.

Jeff

• Like 1

Yes, he's a bit of a star when it comes to track plans and prototypes!

Maybe I should have left the KL2 trackplan update for a few months to give me something to do. Having everything planned, including materials and costings, tends to make you "itch" to get building. And, like you, there's plenty of other "real-life" things to get in the way.

Jeff

You're further ahead than me. I haven't even planned the materials let alone the cost yet. However, I'm still undecided when it comes to planning for a fixed or transportable layout.

Duncan

Hi Jeff, All,

I'd just like to add my thanks for the recent 'replay' of pictures, it was brilliant to see some things again and to spot what I'd missed in my rapid catch-up a couple of months back, I think I had to jump a good hundred pages, then go back 10-15 to find out what happened with KL1!

Getting a bit short of time at the mo' so I only really keep up with KL and the Lounge, just too much to read otherwise!

It's all good stuff!

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, All,

I'd just like to add my thanks for the recent 'replay' of pictures, it was brilliant to see some things again and to spot what I'd missed in my rapid catch-up a couple of months back, I think I had to jump a good hundred pages, then go back 10-15 to find out what happened with KL1!

Getting a bit short of time at the mo' so I only really keep up with KL and the Lounge, just too much to read otherwise!

It's all good stuff!

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks John. I really enjoyed scanning through the 3000+ photos I'd taken. Thank goodness for digital cameras - I'd be bankrupt if I'd used film!!

It was a good exercise and made me look at how I'd done certain things with a view to improvements.

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks John. I really enjoyed scanning through the 3000+ photos I'd taken. Thank goodness for digital cameras - I'd be bankrupt if I'd used film!!

It was a good exercise and made me look at how I'd done certain things with a view to improvements.

Jeff

Jeff,

You're forgetting none of us would have seen them either if they had been photo's. For once technology pays off eh.

• RMweb Premium

How much better they are on here for us to share than stuck on a camera card.

Don

Yes, I never leave stuff on the memory card. All the images go onto the laptop and are regularly viewed.

The great thing about digital cameras is that you can shoot away and not worry about poor shots. Even if 9/10 photos are crap, the 1/10 was worth the effort.

I'm looking forward to getting back to astrophotography, using a telescope, once I've moved. It was something I used to do, with film, many years ago.

My daily schedule looks like: Building work in the garden / Layout work in the garage / Astronomy during the evening-night / Fit a small amount of sleep in, where possible!!

Jeff

• Like 1