Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

ONLY 18, :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  

are you a Modeller or a Mouse :O

Squeak Squeak, hehehheheeee ho ho ho ho.

Bodge :nono:

At the moment I'm a mouse!

Anyone who just "tunes in" to this thread will think we are bonkers. Maybe we are "demob happy", as they used to say....

Now I just wait for that serious g*t (compliment returned....  :D  :D ) Jason to contradict me..... 

At least he's still modelling...

Jeff

Moving quickly back to model railways, I look forward to many and various locomotives on your "MUST PURCHASE" list.

I have a room-full you could buy....   any idea what a container-load from NZ to Stockton-On-Tees would be. A small deposit will secure... 

you can't have this one, yet... I haven't finished photographing it. Here is the first cropped pic;

post-7929-0-76982600-1387505441_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The thing with me is, I really don't like watching TV so would rather be modelling, even with the house in turmoil (boxes everywhere).

Talking of new purchases, the Lanky 2-4-2's definitely got as far as Settle and were regulars at Hellifield so you can *almost* justify one. You need more tank engines; Jinties, Lanky's, Stanier, Fairburn, Fowler and Standard 2-6-4T's. Buy Buy Buy :D

Oh, and coaches.

And wagons.

As you may have seen in the Lounge, I have treated myself to a pair of the Bachmann Mail coaches with the Royal Mail in Gold on the sides. The pics I took were cra* but you get the picture, both sides are totally different, so a pair is fine for now but I need to know how many would have been in the Manchester - London train, diverted through the Buxton - Bakewell line.

post-9335-0-87062200-1387531308_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-89756200-1387531331_thumb.jpg

I will re take some better pics later.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

The thing with me is, I really don't like watching TV so would rather be modelling, even with the house in turmoil (boxes everywhere).

Talking of new purchases, the Lanky 2-4-2's definitely got as far as Settle and were regulars at Hellifield so you can *almost* justify one. You need more tank engines; Jinties, Lanky's, Stanier, Fairburn, Fowler and Standard 2-6-4T's. Buy Buy Buy :D

Oh, and coaches.

And wagons.

Jason, you are right about tank engines. Lovely beasts and if I can justify a Lanky I will get one. Hey, stop encouraging me - I've got a fortune to spend buying and kitting out the new house!

I agree with you about TV. Hardly watch it - plenty of reading and music at the moment.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Andy - I'd noticed the Royal Mail coaches and didn't recall seeing them before. I love the phrase "I treated myself".... How often do we use it?

Rob seems to be doing that all the time, you - quite often and I'm a sucker for a new loco. Especially when luminaries such as Mr Sandside are encouraging me!

Btw, something to consider. KL was "deconstructed" over 3 weeks ago. There has been no active modelling from me since then. Over the last 4 weeks the KL thread has average 4000 views per week and had nearly 1000 just yesterday! What are you all finding so interesting on here? I'm really pleased that people are "tuning in". Just wait until KL2 starts!

Jeff

Here's another you NEED TO ADD to your shopping list according to Mr T.

post-9335-0-50436600-1387537874_thumb.jpg

Oh and another

post-9335-0-32796600-1387537999_thumb.jpg

Have you got one of these?

post-9335-0-90621600-1387538054_thumb.jpg

Or one of these?

post-9335-0-37313700-1387538267_thumb.jpg

WITH SOUND????? :scared: :scared: :scared:

B :O o :no: d :stinker: g :nono: i :beee: t :sungum:

ho ho ho ho ho

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

Just did some better pics of the Bachyy Mail Coaches.

Well a we bit better,  (need Jason's new camera).

post-9335-0-55768900-1387540611_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-76270400-1387540625_thumb.jpg

Same Coach, other side.

post-9335-0-61883500-1387540638_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-61380500-1387540646_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18651200-1387540654_thumb.jpg

To good to weather, :no:  well almost to good :O :nono: :nono: :nono:

Ho HO ho

Santa's been to Bodgit Towers :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Books are all packed away now so I can't check for definite but they did last into the 60's (1961, according to Wikipedia);  I don't recall ever seeing a shot of one with the later crest on.

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful pics of STEAM locos, everyone! Plus the odd nice GREEN diesel too, nice!

That and the friendly atmosphere and banter - keeps me enlightened and always coming back for more!

Cheers all,

John E.

That was my aim from the moment you started the S&C section, John. I set up the Lounge for more general stuff, but always wanted KL to be more like a "club" for like-minded people. It's always seemed to me that if you have a non-competitive, friendly atmosphere you encourage people to have their say, voice opinions and be constructive.

Yes, occasionally it can get a bit fraught, but even then it's hopefully an enjoyable thread to join in with. I make that statement with no reference to the actual KL layout, and my work on it, but just the knowledgeable contributions from the Lunesters and other crazy people who look at the thread!

Jeff

• Like 1

Btw, something to consider. KL was "deconstructed" over 3 weeks ago. There has been no active modelling from me since then. .....

I reckon deconstruction equals active modelling from me these days.  I'm just about to load the car and ship out twenty-odd boxed-up locos to my dad's, to move me one step closer to dismantling Teviotbank.  At which point, some time over the weekend, I will reactivate its thread.  Nothing so momentous as a house move, just a personal arse-kicking contest to take control of eighteen months of lapsed momentum.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I reckon deconstruction equals active modelling from me these days.  I'm just about to load the car and ship out twenty-odd boxed-up locos to my dad's, to move me one step closer to dismantling Teviotbank.  At which point, some time over the weekend, I will reactivate its thread.  Nothing so momentous as a house move, just a personal arse-kicking contest to take control of eighteen months of lapsed momentum.

Yes, I seem to remember you mentioning the possibility of dismantling - it was around the time I was building the viaducts (August 2012!)

I definitely think you should reactivate your thread. Then we can add your work to the "active" layouts under discussion from people such as Bodge, Jason, Alistair etc on here.

I will nag you if you want me to!!!!!

Jeff

Yes, I seem to remember you mentioning the possibility of dismantling - it was around the time I was building the viaducts (August 2012!)

I definitely think you should reactivate your thread. Then we can add your work to the "active" layouts under discussion from people such as Bodge, Jason, Alistair etc on here.

I will nag you if you want me to!!!!!

Jeff

In the words of Big Country, or not quite, Nag Away, Nag Away...

I've been doing a fair amount in the way of preparation behind the scenes, but the more encouragement and exhortation from the Lunes, the better...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In the words of Big Country, or not quite, Nag Away, Nag Away...

I've been doing a fair amount in the way of preparation behind the scenes, but the more encouragement and exhortation from the Lunes, the better...

I think we will be delighted to act as requisite catalysts for your enthusiasm! After all, that's what they've been doing for me for the last 20 months or so.

I'm guessing the plan you have in mind is based on a section of the Waverley Route. I'd be amazed if it wasn't. And - since it seems to be a favorite theme round here - would it include the viaduct you were building, but never completed?

Please feel free to post an outline plan on here. In the absence of KL2 - which will probably resurrect this time next year - we would all appreciate another topic to get our teeth into!

Jeff

I had a text message from an alarmed pal about an hour ago which read: 'And it's still gonna be Waverley route?' 

Well, I can set everyone's mind at rest, WR '67-The End it shall be, of course.  I was sat in the car earlier, waiting for a clothes-shopping daughter (plenty of time on my hands, clearly), and I jotted down some of my essential 'signature' ingredients.  It was a small scrap of paper, so I had to be very selective.

Here was my top ten, or however many I could fit in:

• Complete and re-deploy Barns/ Stobs viaduct (over minor road and Currie Burn);
  • Hogs-back plate girder three span bridge in Gala water style;
  • Tunnel in Bowshank style;
  • Proximity of A7 road;
  • 'Wayside station' taking cues from Heriot/ Steele Road/ Shankend/ Stow, with goods yard and trailing crossover removed to reflect mid-sixties withdrawal of pick up freight;
  • Freight-only branch survivor to allow Kingmoor Mucky Ducks and/ or Leith Central 350hp shunters a pootle about;
  • 'Principal station' blending elements of Hawick, St Boswells, Gala; retaining busy goods railhead and newspaper/ parcels traffic forwarding, and need for a station pilot;
  • Deconsecrated two-road sub-shed of St Margarets; and
  • Transitional track layout combining two track secondary main line with features of early rationalisation.

I'll use this post or a version of it on my Teviotbank thread relaunch in due course.

I had a text message from an alarmed pal about an hour ago which read: 'And it's still gonna be Waverley route?' 

Well, I can set everyone's mind at rest, WR '67-The End it shall be, of course.  I was sat in the car earlier, waiting for a clothes-shopping daughter (plenty of time on my hands, clearly), and I jotted down some of my essential 'signature' ingredients.  It was a small scrap of paper, so I had to be very selective.

Here was my top ten, or however many I could fit in:

• Complete and re-deploy Barns/ Stobs viaduct (over minor road and Currie Burn);
  • Hogs-back plate girder three span bridge in Gala water style;
  • Tunnel in Bowshank style;
  • Proximity of A7 road;
  • 'Wayside station' taking cues from Heriot/ Steele Road/ Shankend/ Stow, with goods yard and trailing crossover removed to reflect mid-sixties withdrawal of pick up freight;
  • Freight-only branch survivor to allow Kingmoor Mucky Ducks and/ or Leith Central 350hp shunters a pootle about;
  • 'Principal station' blending elements of Hawick, St Boswells, Gala; retaining busy goods railhead and newspaper/ parcels traffic forwarding, and need for a station pilot;
  • Deconsecrated two-road sub-shed of St Margarets; and
  • Transitional track layout combining two track secondary main line with features of early rationalisation.

I'll use this post or a version of it on my Teviotbank thread relaunch in due course.

Hi Chard, that all sounds as mysterious as my new Layout plans for Wyedale, I look forward to having another thread to follow.

Jason has curtailed half my plans and its much better than my original that had so much track on that Thomas wouldn't have look out of place.

Looking forward to seeing the track plan in due course, any idea of the area yet?

Bodge :sungum:

Books are all packed away now so I can't check for definite but they did last into the 60's (1961, according to Wikipedia);  I don't recall ever seeing a shot of one with the later crest on.

My H C Casserley 'Steam Locos of British Railways' says '110 came into BR stock in 1948 -all gone by 62'

They are lovely looking locos. Believe it or not I want one in TT/3mm! - and if it was available as a kit,  a nice person to build it for me...for a nice price. :mosking:

Have you ever seen a really good book - Hugh Longworth 'British Rail Steam Locomotives 1948-1968'? It lists every loco taken into BR ownership and then charts the demise of each class loco by loco over 21 years. Don't know if it will be 100% accurate but the wealth of detail is amazing. I borrowed a copy from the local library and am still looking for a cheap 2nd hand copy.

As Andrew suggested, you'll definitely need a couple of Fairburn/Stanier 2-6-4s for local passenger workings. Again, IMO they're beautiful looking locos - perfect proportions for a tank engine.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My H C Casserley 'Steam Locos of British Railways' says '110 came into BR stock in 1948 -all gone by 62'

They are lovely looking locos. Believe it or not I want one in TT/3mm! - and if it was available as a kit,  a nice person to build it for me...for a nice price. :mosking:

Have you ever seen a really good book - Hugh Longworth 'British Rail Steam Locomotives 1948-1968'? It lists every loco taken into BR ownership and then charts the demise of each class loco by loco over 21 years. Don't know if it will be 100% accurate but the wealth of detail is amazing. I borrowed a copy from the local library and am still looking for a cheap 2nd hand copy.

As Andrew suggested, you'll definitely need a couple of Fairburn/Stanier 2-6-4s for local passenger workings. Again, IMO they're beautiful looking locos - perfect proportions for a tank engine.

Alan

I agree entirely about tank engines. I have a BR Standard 4MT tank and I'll be making it my business to acquire a Fairburn or Stanier once KL2 is taking shape.

Jeff

I agree entirely about tank engines. I have a BR Standard 4MT tank and I'll be making it my business to acquire a Fairburn or Stanier once KL2 is taking shape.

Jeff

You've misspelled the word AND its not spelt O R.

B :no: O :O D :nono: G :boast: E :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

• Like 1

Hi Jeff and fellow Lunesters

My visits here have been all too infrequent of late but I have kept an eye on proceedings when when I've been able to, I like your final plan too Jeff though I like long rivers as you know, I think mine will be around 17ft all told  when complete but that's just me.

I think future visits and posts to RMweb will gradually dwindle too over the coming months as I have to commit more and more time to home life and the enthusiasm to model is getting harder to generate, I really must try and make use of those free days I get now and again.

It just leaves me to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all attached to and following KL2 and I'll try to keep an eye out on progress.

All the best 

Jim

• Like 2