Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Not a bad idea, Andy.

However, I've only just realised that I don't even have a DC controller - I think they were thrown out in 2008 when I went over to DCC!

Nevermind, any new locos will just have to wait a while to be run-in.

If Rob reads this - do you ever run any of that large collection of locos you've accumulated?

Jeff

Yes, to turn the driving wheels and or test before re-sale, all on a tray on my lap. I still love the models though.

here is a new model I received from Hattons two days ago.  Not very carefully packed some parts of this second-hand detailed model fell off as no small insert packing inside foam insert,  front steps, a front hose off and tender coal bunker rear plate, not major,   but I notice on their models for sale website their s/h items are not all treated carefully for photos,  a couple of their ad photos here showing bent front bogie, (A3) and windscreen on cab (black 5) etc   what can you expect from shop assistants eh?  and only the one profit markup from purchase to sale...

anyway

post-7929-0-65175400-1387400067_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-18595700-1387400200_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-24477900-1387401276.jpg

post-7929-0-61110900-1387401296.jpg

edit p.s I bought Brown Jack anyway, and a weathered double chimney Coronach 

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nice, as usual.

I've found a few bits "missing" (they turned up in the packaging) on brand new locos - but not many. Hornby ones especially, maybe because their real "top-of-the-range" locos have (or used to have) so much external detailing. So pipework fallen off a couple of Britannias as an example, but - as you say - easy to fix.

I'll post some static photos of the new A4s when they arrive. not exactly S&C, but I suspect KL will be a "melange" (Bodge - that's NOT a blancmange!) of stuff for the next 6 months or so.

Jeff

The is a bit of a frenzy going on with the GG A4 thing in Hornby, various dealers and buyers trying get things sorted before Xmas.

Apparently there were some 'singles' for sale around midnight and all were sold in under ten mins! Possibly with people getting Email alerts when in stock, and/or other dramas.

I desisted from buying all 6. See what self-control I have?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I only wanted the 2 late crest BR green models. I'm not a collector and they will be run as much as any locos when I get the chance.

Of course, you could have predicted that a "Great goodbye" or equivalent would spring up as an alternative limited edition. I'll leave those to the frothers!

One advantage of not having an available layout - for me, anyway - is that it will reduce (not stop!) my model purchases. With the A4s out of the way, pre-order attention turns to the more S&C relevant new class 40s. Very tasty - but I know diesels aren't to everyone's liking!

Actually, this will be the first Christmas in a decade when railway-based items play little part in the presents I receive. Time for a rest and a recharge!

And Rob - self-control? What have you on order at the moment? You have as much self-control as Bodgit has when it comes to taking more than a fortnight over building a layout!

(Hope he's not reading this as I've already insulted his Devon-learned academic prowess ... sorry, Floge pit....)

Jeff

• Like 2

I only wanted the 2 late crest BR green models. I'm not a collector and they will be run as much as any locos when I get the chance.

Of course, you could have predicted that a "Great goodbye" or equivalent would spring up as an alternative limited edition. I'll leave those to the frothers!

One advantage of not having an available layout - for me, anyway - is that it will reduce (not stop!) my model purchases. With the A4s out of the way, pre-order attention turns to the more S&C relevant new class 40s. Very tasty - but I know diesels aren't to everyone's liking!

Actually, this will be the first Christmas in a decade when railway-based items play little part in the presents I receive. Time for a rest and a recharge!

And Rob - self-control? What have you on order at the moment? You have as much self-control as Bodgit has when it comes to taking more than a fortnight over building a layout!

(Hope he's not reading this as I've already insulted his Devon-learned academic prowess ... sorry, Floge pit....)

Jeff

Well Jeff I make no apology for really enjoying well made models, and I expect them to rise in price. I sell theem sometimes too.

Here are the others I bought today...  a 44871 to go with my 44781   the end-of-steam 1968 pair, Coronach...  simply lovely and a bit like the 6 A3s which were at Carlisle Canal, and 75005 because it is the BEST modelling and I like the weathering.

post-7929-0-47722100-1387406856.jpg

post-7929-0-10870400-1387406883.jpg

post-7929-0-95870100-1387406902.jpg

• Like 3

Three good choices Rob, I have Coranach and the lovely big drivers under the high running frame really do set it off nice, especially when just crawling along in the yard.

Std 005 is one on my list and my local Model Shop has a New Second Hand One, Mint, Boxed and DCC fitted. But I have 7 already, still as I always say; you cant have too many Standards :no:

Black 5, well I have 2 and I've bid on a sound one last night so I might have 3, I'm also looking forward to the Bachmann one as well some time soon I hope.

All the best

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

An early good morning, Andy. Sat in bed with your flip-flop, are you?

I agree about the Standard 5s. I know Rob is a fan, and so am I. I've 2 of them and the weathered Bachmann finish is very good. Contrary to some views, I've found them very good runners.

As for the A3s.... Haven't got any, other than an "old" 1999 pre-DCC first-generation-super detailed Flying Scot. If I end up buying another B1 and a K1 I may as well jump further into the LNER camp and get a couple of A3. I think they look particularly effective with smoke deflectors, though Coronach hasn't got these and she's a real beauty.

More "bare" loco pics, Rob. They are mouth watering and cheer those of us who no longer have layouts to play conduct serious running research on!

Jeff

I agree about the Standard 5s. I know Rob is a fan, and so am I. I've 2 of them and the weathered Bachmann finish is very good. Contrary to some views, I've found them very good runners.

As for the A3s.... Haven't got any, other than an "old" 1999 pre-DCC first-generation-super detailed Flying Scot. If I end up buying another B1 and a K1 I may as well jump further into the LNER camp and get a couple of A3. I think they look particularly effective with smoke deflectors, though Coronach hasn't got these and she's a real beauty.

More "bare" loco pics, Rob. They are mouth watering and cheer those of us who no longer have layouts to play conduct serious running research on!

Jeff

Morning Jeff, Looking at Rob's picture, I don't think that's a factory weathering job, but its excellent either way.

And :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Come on you lazy gits, get some modelling done :D

Despite Bacup currently being in a state of limbo ahead of the house move this weekend (e.g. buildings removed, baseboards split, etc), I still managed to do some landscaping on the below area which before, was just static grass blandness. I'm still not convinced by static grass (on it's own, anyway)

Scenery002_zps9c357314.jpg

• Like 5

Jason, I think your right about Static Grass on its own, It never looks right, I always mix different makes, length and colours as I go so at least some variety. Then as you have done so well, add brambles, weeds, gorse, shrubs etc to finish it off.

UNLESS of course your modelling a BOWLING GREEN, hahhaa :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

And :O

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, as I mentioned on my thread, having the boards separated was the best time to get on with this bit as it usually means leaning over, but I couldn't miss the opportunity for a wind-up.

:D

• RMweb Premium

Just in case anyone is curious, the area above is a combination of the following, in this order.

Brown paint

Cheap green flock

Static grass

A mix of flocks and foliage

More cheap green flock

Brambles made from fibre sprayed with hairspray and dipped/ coated with flock and foliage.

The room stank of hairspray earlier :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To be fair, as I mentioned on my thread, having the boards separated was the best time to get on with this bit as it usually means leaning over, but I couldn't miss the opportunity for a wind-up.

:D

.... And I missed it!!!

Nice work and I'm jealous of your motivation. But I am looking forward to greening and grassing-up the new Fell, so keep inspiring me!

Jeff

Jeff

Yes Jeff these models are great, and running them is what I used to do with my 9' x 4' roundy roundy thing,   Jason I am impressed by the corner landscaping, brilliant, and I love the curve and the waste ground, gate and brick-fence back yards, beautifully done. I can just see a an L & Y 'Lanky' wheezing its was past with weathered wagons or a choice ex-LMS coach or two. Or any of several Fowlers...

In general I think that while collecting/buying/selling and photographing models is my current pleasure, as well as summer weather, our garden, my car and driving it, and eating and sleeping, I  might make another small diorama soon, possibly another shed scene, or station platform throat, I blame Jason for that.

Meanwhile Jeff I must warn you that if you do not develop a plan for everyone to criticise soon we shall all be hopelessly lost.

here is a Standard Catalogue Picture,  someday I shall concoct a different angle....

post-7929-0-09090300-1387485667_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes Jeff these models are great, and running them is what I used to do with my 9' x 4' roundy roundy thing,   Jason I am impressed by the corner landscaping, brilliant, and I love the curve and the waste ground, gate and brick-fence back yards, beautifully done. I can just see a an L & Y 'Lanky' wheezing its was past with weathered wagons or a choice ex-LMS coach or two. Or any of several Fowlers...

In general I think that while collecting/buying/selling and photographing models is my current pleasure, as well as summer weather, our garden, my car and driving it, and eating and sleeping, I  might make another small diorama soon, possibly another shed scene, or station platform throat, I blame Jason for that.

Meanwhile Jeff I must warn you that if you do not develop a plan for everyone to criticise soon we shall all be hopelessly lost.

here is a Standard Catalogue Picture,  someday I shall concoct a different angle....

attachicon.gifBR_Britannia_70010_portrait_2ab_r1200_full.jpg

Here you are, Rob.

I've been working on this one for the last few days. Really wracking my brains to get it sorted. You know, to meet stringent demands such as large fiddle yard, lots of operational interest, finescale, plenty of scenery etc etc. I think it will provoke plenty of comment....

post-13778-0-73186100-1387487189_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Nah, Jeff, that won't work - the prototype was on a curve...

Welcome back, Scott.

Yep, I think you are right. I don't work well when I'm under pressure from that McGavin fellow. Ah well, back to the drawing board and more sleepless nights!!

Jeff

ps. At least JuliaB wasn't included in the plan.... or my nemesis....

• Like 2

Jeff

Careful lad, thems who populate LNER forums are fussy.  They worry about exact placing of numbers, as in if they were moved slightly in a re-paint in 1948, and the beading on a tender-side being silver or nickel-silver,  and the few LNER engines which made it to Carlisle were the unwanted outcast A3s  always grubby and tunnel-smoked, without those new-fangled auto signalling devices, and lord help you if you get details wrong!

Mind you the GWR people are even WORSE...

Have you found your MoJo yet Jeff? I thought I saw it on the Kitchen table before I left the other week. Its not in my box I looked and suddenly realised that I;ve lost mine too.

Went up Club this evening and ripped up some 15ft of track and planning a new curve, point off, up an incline to a Quarry and also a Steam Depot inside the loops.

Great fun, sat and we had a cuppa, a good chat over a couple of mince pies and put the world, or at least Christmas to rights.

Now come on Jeff, wheres that piece of 3ft sq board as a running in track, you could also practice some scenic modeling on it as well, hahhahaaa.

Bodgit :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Have you found your MoJo yet Jeff? I thought I saw it on the Kitchen table before I left the other week. Its not in my box I looked and suddenly realised that I;ve lost mine too.

Went up Club this evening and ripped up some 15ft of track and planning a new curve, point off, up an incline to a Quarry and also a Steam Depot inside the loops.

Great fun, sat and we had a cuppa, a good chat over a couple of mince pies and put the world, or at least Christmas to rights.

Now come on Jeff, wheres that piece of 3ft sq board as a running in track, you could also practice some scenic modeling on it as well, hahhahaaa.

Bodgit :sungum:

You may not believe this but 95% of what you saw in the bunker went into the skip. I don't have a single piece of board - ply, chip, MDF etc anywhere around. Amazing, eh?

And I'm on my third skip at the moment.

Don't worry, I can see plenty of 18 hour days once the new garage is available!

Jeff

• Like 1