Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

5'!! You cheeky *&%%G%%$^^£"***!!!!

Actually, using Bodge as the prototype, we discussed this very matter. Eye level is supposed to be the best height for the baseboard, but I can't bring myself to have it quite that high. However, raising it from its current 120cm to, say 140cm would give a more dramatic view and improve access for OFs like Bodge, Mike and Gruff!!!!

The NER line would then be at around 120cm, so a decent crawl-through there, too.

I've already built myself a 20cm wooden box to stand on for KL. Looks like it'll need to double for KL2!

Jeff

Will that mean a LADDER up to the box? :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

O.F. Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

You might need one of these Jeff

http://www.micromark.com/topside-creeper-step-ladder-support-system,8854.html

otherwise I would suggest the higher the baseboard the narrower it should be. At eye level you cannot even see over the wagons of the front siding to what is behind. I also think you could be compromising access to the fiddle yard you need to be able to re-rail this on the back road.

ps When do you officially become an OF

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You might need one of these Jeff

http://www.micromark.com/topside-creeper-step-ladder-support-system,8854.html

otherwise I would suggest the higher the baseboard the narrower it should be. At eye level you cannot even see over the wagons of the front siding to what is behind. I also think you could be compromising access to the fiddle yard you need to be able to re-rail this on the back road.

ps When do you officially become an OF

Don

Was that a rhetorical question, or aimed at me? I would ask "How old do you have to be to be an OF?" 60? 65?

I've removed 4 turnouts that were part of the station area and fully ballasted. A good pre-soak with very hot water and up they came with the help of a knife. The station is starting to resemble the Somme. Pictures tomorrow.

Jeff

• Like 1

400 pages before the weekend, what do you recon guys, can we do it? :O :o :O :o :O :o :O :o

That's another step nearer.

Bodge :scratchhead:

Only if you persist I this strange idea of baseboards at chest height or above.

Trains are meant to be operated on the CARPET. That's why god invented Hornby Dublo 3-rail.

Rob

and if not on the carpet at 3 feet above the ground so a wheelchair offers a fair view....

• Like 2

Jeff,

I am unsure about the gradients that you are proposing particularly for the NER section. Given that you aim to get lots of lovely sweeping curves on the S&C, exposed parts of the NER would need to be located in something of a similar vein whilst you need the fiddle yard area to be level. With no gradient changes, it seems your beck will be running downhill from the top of the drawing and downhill from the bottom too.

Please explain why I am wrong and how your spot heights will be arranged!!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gruff.

There will be NO gradients anywhere on KL2, as there were none on KL. Can't stand them. So unless I build things wrongly, each line will proceed at constant level.

The top and bottom viaducts carry the S&C line at about 140cm above reference datum (the floor!), or 30 cm above Beck height.

The NER line passes beneath these 2 viaducts, roughly 20cm below the S&C and 10cm above the Beck.

The top of the NER viaduct is 10cm above the Beck - it's more a small bridge, really - but I'm using the "old" branch viaduct for this.

post-13778-0-15138500-1385585679_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Jeff,

I go out for the day to sort my car out and we have two pages!

I am glad you posted about inclines as I was just about to ask that.

As to heights and crawling under, I think the comments so far are right.  Things happen and they can happen quite quickly.  I am sure I was only twenty five at the beginning of last year and I'll be sixty next birthday!  Crawling under needs to have enough space and standing on things needs to be secure.  Nearer the time you might want a method of communication with the house.  Hopefully you are a good twenty years away from this but it is best to do it now.

Question.  Will you want to shunt the goods yard while a train is doing the rounds and if so does this plan allow you to?

• Like 1

Hi Gruff.

There will be NO gradients anywhere on KL2, as there were none on KL. Can't stand them. So unless I build things wrongly, each line will proceed at constant level.

The top and bottom viaducts carry the S&C line at about 140cm above reference datum (the floor!), or 30 cm above Beck height.

The NER line passes beneath these 2 viaducts, roughly 20cm below the S&C and 10cm above the Beck.

The top of the NER viaduct is 10cm above the Beck - it's more a small bridge, really - but I'm using the "old" branch viaduct for this.

attachicon.gifLevels.jpg

Jeff

You've done it again Boss, You may have just left School but the last time I went it was Good Old English Feet and Inches. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Confused of Swad :O

• RMweb Gold

Well that's me confirmed as an OF Jeff. I think you are right on the gradients if you can manage without so much the better. If the landscape goes up and down you still get interesting changes of viewpoint. True you could have the visible section rising on a nice gradient it would look good but for a continuous run it has to come back down again and a gradient in the FY is a real pain.

Don

Hi Jeff,

Some belting pic's and video's leading up to the demise of KL, at least it went out with a bang! Good efforts by Jason, Andy and of course the head Lunester!

As for KL2 I love the look of the new track plan (version 2). I don't think you need the crossover and a gentle curve through the station will look marvellous, I would curve the whole platform length not just the one end either. If you don't really need the NER fiddle yard then drop it, it will only be a pain to swap stock on when your trying to reach between multiple layers.

The plans are looking promising, good effort!

• RMweb Gold

You've done it again Boss, You may have just left School but the last time I went it was Good Old English Feet and Inches. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Confused of Swad :O

Andy,

10cm is about 4 inches, 30cm is about a foot, and 140cm is about chest height on me.

Ok, I'm 5ft 7inches, well 61/2, I've shrunk.

140cm is actually 1400mm and is about 41/2 ft give or take a little bit.

Edited by ChrisN

Andy,

10cm is about 4 inches, 30cm is about a foot, and 140cm is about chest height on me.

Cheers Chris, I could have got my tape measure out but its in the Garage and its cold.

Bodgit in a time lock :O           :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, I'll echo what Chris has just said.... I go out for an hour and there's another avalanche of posts!

I'll look over what's been said in detail when I get chance - I'm back into the bunker to get some more turnouts removed. I'll take some pics and post them later.

Btw Chris. The Baron is the shunting king. Maybe he can answer your question?

Jeff

• Like 1

Blimey, I'll echo what Chris has just said.... I go out for an hour and there's another avalanche of posts!

I'll look over what's been said in detail when I get chance - I'm back into the bunker to get some more turnouts removed. I'll take some pics and post them later.

Btw Chris. The Baron is the shunting king. Maybe he can answer your question?

Jeff

Possibly :O :no: :nono: :senile: :scared: :boast: :scratchhead: :triniti: :mail: :mail:

Andy,

Hi guy's

Dimensions are a pain! In this months Model Rail a workbench article on fitting a colour light signal states 'Drill a hole 0.75mm diameter' How you are supposed to feed 4 wires through this can only be imagined, its obviously a typo' but for those that don't know............. Still even 7.5mm seems too large to me but I'm not using colour lights I just like getting my moneys worth reading from cover to cover!

It's "spot the difference" time!

I've actually transitioned the curve over the viaduct into the station and curved the platforms slightly. Ok, this is only an indicator of what could happen, but it looks fine to me.

And the top crossover has been removed.

attachicon.gifCentre viaduct Curved platform.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, playing the Devils Advocate, why are you coming into the room with the baseboards on the top right hand side when you could stay parallel to the room and have more operating room and NO NEED to have a duck up in that corner, also that curve would be BIG and LONG like the lower one?

Sorry Bodge :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just removed another 5 turnouts, including the single slip. They are now soaking in soapy water and will be cleaned up shortly.

You've all seen photos of the station area, and Bodge and Jason saw it first-hand within the last week. It didn't look like this though, did it?!!

post-13778-0-23667400-1385594236_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-39753000-1385594241_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, playing the Devils Advocate, why are you coming into the room with the baseboards on the top right hand side when you could stay parallel to the room and have more operating room and NO NEED to have a duck up in that corner, also that curve would be BIG and LONG like the lower one?

Sorry Bodge :O

Andy - you've got a point there!! I guess the slant of the station comes from KL where I wanted to use the diagonal and also make the layout look more dynamic. With an extra 4' of width here that may not be necessary. 

I'll have a play with the plan and see what I can come up with.

Jeff

Jeff

After it taking me 30 minutes to catch up on the days posts after a long days work, :scared: a few observations.

1. For a layout with a temporary hiatus, there's a lot to read each day. :O

2. Although late in the day, I agree about the single slip and the platform curve. :sungum:

3. As usual, the Lunesters are providing sound logical advice for you. :sungum:

4. If we don't reach 400 pages by the weekend I'll be surprised. :O

5. CAN WE HAVE FEWER POSTS PLEASE. I'm having a hard time keeping up. :jester: :jester:

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi Jeff

There's just no way I can keep up with all these posts!

As emt_911 said - for a layout with a temporary hiatus there's a lot to read.

Looking at the photos and videos I did spend some time trying to imagine what it all might have all looked like if the layout had been completed.

Many thanks for the effort you, Jason and Andy put in to record the final hours of Kirby Luneside.

Alan

Almost forgot to mention - If you start to missing green diesels in the fells there'll be more running on S&C 79-83 which should be re-named 69-73 for the next few weeks. Class 20, 26, and 45 arriving on Friday for test runs. I'll take a few photos for you! 

Edited by 60091
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Saying that, the current configuration allows access to the rear of the goods yard and that is something worth keeping.

Ok, here is a slight reorientation. Well, "slight" - it took me an hour to re-do the curves etc. But this was what Andy was hinting at, I think.

And there's still access to the rear of the goods...

post-13778-0-73338600-1385600020_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 3