Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

Not been up long myself and haven't had chance to upload the photos yet (had as quick look through though and there are some ok ones). I will hopefully get a couple on here later on today.

Enjoy yourself tomorrow Bodge, I know you will. I just keep wondering how much stock you will be taking, seeing how much I did? :D

Yea your right, I need to dig out some more wagons to take, I have found a couple more locos, one needs a good long running so KL run will be ideal.

Bodge :sungum: EDIT= I think Jeff is Cream Crackerd, hahhahaa

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Yea your right, I need to dig out some more wagons to take, I have found a couple more locos, one needs a good long running so KL run will be ideal.

Bodge :sungum: EDIT= I think Jeff is Cream Crackerd, hahhahaa

Knackered, me?  :no:

I haven't enjoyed myself so much in ages, haven't had so little sleep in ages and last night - after Jason had gone - haven't slept so well in ages!!

The 9F handled 40+ wagons, at a 10mph crawl, with ease. So if you can manage 40+ minerals, or vans, let's try and beat that....

Don't forget - I've got bacon for your butties and a lasagne for tomorrow evening (when I make it). Jason survived the curry, so you should be ok!!

Jeff

• Like 3

Knackered, me?  :no:

I haven't enjoyed myself so much in ages, haven't had so little sleep in ages and last night - after Jason had gone - haven't slept so well in ages!!

The 9F handled 40+ wagons, at a 10mph crawl, with ease. So if you can manage 40+ minerals, or vans, let's try and beat that....

Don't forget - I've got bacon for your butties and a lasagne for tomorrow evening (when I make it). Jason survived the curry, so you should be ok!!

Jeff

Early days yet, :O  we haven't heard from him for a couple of hours :no: , hahahaaaa

I have a couple of Cinnamon Cakes for elevenses if you like them.

Loading the car after the Grand Prix, the Sat Nav is set and I have a map in the car so all basses covered.

Get that track clean and prepare an area for some weathering jobs, I HAVE A PLAN, :no: hahah

Prof Bodgit, Dr of Mess :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Early days yet, :O  we haven't heard from him for a couple of hours :no: , hahahaaaa

I have a couple of Cinnamon Cakes for elevenses if you like them.

Loading the car after the Grand Prix, the Sat Nav is set and I have a map in the car so all basses covered.

Get that track clean and prepare an area for some weathering jobs, I HAVE A PLAN, :no: hahah

Prof Bodgit, Dr of Mess :O

Remarkably, I didn't clean the track - at all - before Jason arrived. In fact, it's been a few weeks since any of it was cleaned, as I've been working in there, but not doing much running. Yet the rolling stock ran beautifully!

However, I'll give it a good clean in the morning before you arrive. Make sure you bring your video camera!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chip,

I can see you doing your usual "lurk" at the bottom of the screen. Rest assured that there'll be plenty more pics tomorrow once Bodge gets going up here!

I'm also playing around with a very rough set of plans for the KL2 re-design. I will post these when I've had a bit more of a fiddle. Please feel free to comment - same for everyone - as it's probably quite different to what I'll end up with...

Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Chip,

I can see you doing your usual "lurk" at the bottom of the screen. Rest assured that there'll be plenty more pics tomorrow once Bodge gets going up here!

I'm also playing around with a very rough set of plans for the KL2 re-design. I will post these when I've had a bit more of a fiddle. Please feel free to comment - same for everyone - as it's probably quite different to what I'll end up with...

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Good to see you've are having a good play test with KL1 before it becomes firewood.

Based on the ideas that have been put around on here I think I have the perfect PROTOTYPE extra for KL2, but I'm saying no more until I've been and got some pics for you, hopefully later this week.

Enjoy tomorrow and don't forget to hide your hammer, otherwise KL1 will be full of nails!!

Chip.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the ideas we discussed for KL2 are going to be controversial, I bet my bottom dollar that they will be (but I still stand by my suggestion that the overall will gain from what may be lost).

Been in Leeds all day so I still haven't had chance to properly look at the photos and upload them so it may be tomorrow now.

The loco that hauled the longest and heaviest train all weekend (to move stock from the fiddle yard to the front for packing) was the 2MT which, including three bogie bolsters and a few long wheelbase wagons, was probably equivalent to 45-50 mineral wagons in length. Had it not been the end of the day, there would have been a few shots of the Mouse performing this incredible feat, seemingly without effort. Wonder if the real locos ever hauled as much? :)

• RMweb Premium

Jason, I'm sure what we discussed will provoke a lot of discussion!

Anyway, here is something to get us all started. An outline sketch....

Remember, this is probably a year away from the start of construction.

Remember as well that I DIDN'T WANT TO CHANGE KL AT ALL. IF I HADN'T BEEN MOVING I'D HAVE LEFT IT AS IT WAS. SO KL2 IS BASICALLY THE SAME, PLUS "ENHANCEMENTS"....

post-13778-0-69585300-1385321495_thumb.jpg

Jeff

EDIT: The minimum radius on this plan is in the same corner as with KL, but a little larger at 28" (70cm). Most curves, including the NER route, come in at over 40" (100cm) with the main viaduct at around 70" (170cm).

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if the ideas we discussed for KL2 are going to be controversial, I bet my bottom dollar that they will be (but I still stand by my suggestion that the overall will gain from what may be lost).

Been in Leeds all day so I still haven't had chance to properly look at the photos and upload them so it may be tomorrow now.

The loco that hauled the longest and heaviest train all weekend (to move stock from the fiddle yard to the front for packing) was the 2MT which, including three bogie bolsters and a few long wheelbase wagons, was probably equivalent to 45-50 mineral wagons in length. Had it not been the end of the day, there would have been a few shots of the Mouse performing this incredible feat, seemingly without effort. Wonder if the real locos ever hauled as much? :)

Agree with your comment re. the 2MT. Brilliant model and performer.

However, given more time I'm willing to bet the 9F could have managed 60-70!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the plan above I see no real concerns, but I wonder about the arrangment for the fans in the fiddleyards. I can't remember what the lengths of the roads are on KL1 but I do wonder if three way points would save space?

What is the plan for the NER branch at the base of Lunefell, and for where it meets the road?

Is the branches existance in doubt now?

Andy g

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the plan above I see no real concerns, but I wonder about the arrangment for the fans in the fiddleyards. I can't remember what the lengths of the roads are on KL1 but I do wonder if three way points would save space?

What is the plan for the NER branch at the base of Lunefell, and for where it meets the road?

Is the branches existance in doubt now?

Andy g

Some good points, Andy, which is why I've put the outline up so early. I'd like people to look for problems, alternatives and ask questions to see if there are alternatives - or just to get me thinking!

The three way turnout idea may be better. For the moment what I've drawn is just indicative. Typical roads on KL2 would be between 1.5 and 3 metres long.

The NER line will run along the base of the Fell into the tunnel. At the other end it'll snake across the small viaduct (probably the original branch one, heavily modified) and out through the second arch of the main viaduct. That will set the NER line some 25cm below the S&C line. I'll have the road under the underbridge at around 10cm below the S&C line, so the NER line can pass safely underneath it to its own fiddleyard.

The branch line has been removed, though the run round loop and a set-back line will remain.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

What a way to go!

It was brill looking at the selection of loco's and stock you and Jason featured and then the reality set-in ... KL1 is soon to be Beeching'd Sad, so blo*dy sad.

Still KL2 is in the planning stage already so all is not lost, we are all in a for a bit of a wait for more of the above fine selection. Keep it up!

I am back to where I was exactly 3 months ago with Dent, strange how things work out.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

What a way to go!

It was brill looking at the selection of loco's and stock you and Jason featured and then the reality set-in ... KL1 is soon to be Beeching'd Sad, so blo*dy sad.

Still KL2 is in the planning stage already so all is not lost, we are all in a for a bit of a wait for more of the above fine selection. Keep it up!

I am back to where I was exactly 3 months ago with Dent, strange how things work out.

More tomorrow, Mike when the esteemed Baron Bodgit makes his visit. Then the skip arrives on Tuesday....

Part of the reality of this hobby is being able to "take the knocks". I don't mind with KL providing I can improve it next time round. The key thing is that it MUST remain true to prototype as far as the S&C part is concerned.

I hope you don't regret going down the helix route? I know they are a potential ar*e and I hope you get everything sorted. Remember, Dent will look amazing when finished - and that will now be well ahead of me!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, re the plan, I have a totally different take on things.

WATCH THIS SPACE

Bodgit :sungum:

P.S. Cars loaded apart from the Locos :O

I'll be curious to hear/see what you've got in mind, Andy. At this stage it costs nothing to make alterations!

And I'm humble enough to accept any suggestion that enhances/improves what's been put down for discussion!

Jeff

Whatever you choose to do Jeff I will enjoy seeing all, no, some, from the other side of the world.

Odd thing, this way we can share events and thoughts so immediately in such a way. I suppose people under about 30 years think it's NORMAL, but to me it is all rather amazing.

In any event I have great admiration for the way you have set about not only the send-off for KL1 but the hopes and plans for KL2.

Rob (who has to accept that his eyes are no longer good enough to glue the number plate back onto the smokebox of the A4, even though they are good enough to pass most tests. Fortunately there are others around who have offered to do it for me.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice pics mate, cant wait to see it running.

The Baron :sungum:

You'll have to do what Jason did.....

Just go in there and PLAY away to your heart's content.

I don't think he wanted to go home.....

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Re: the plan, you know my feelings, as close to prototype as possible for Kirkby Stephen (which means losing the third platform route - no justification for it for a station with so little business). We were operating for God knows how many enjoyable hours just running trains through and setting the occasional one (e.g. 9F and brake van) into the loop, without even having the benefit of the goods yard to shunt. And that was with two (and for a short while, three) of us.

The NER Branch is a fantastic idea, a quarry or junction station will never get used if you are being honest, and adds little but takes a fair bit away. Others opinions may differ but they are mine :)

• RMweb Premium

Re: the plan, you know my feelings, as close to prototype as possible for Kirkby Stephen (which means losing the third platform route - no justification for it for a station with so little business). We were operating for God knows how many enjoyable hours just running trains through and setting the occasional one (e.g. 9F and brake van) into the loop, without even having the benefit of the goods yard to shunt. And that was with two (and for a short while, three) of us.

The NER Branch is a fantastic idea, a quarry or junction station will never get used if you are being honest, and adds little but takes a fair bit away. Others opinions may differ but they are mine :)

I assume you mean the access via the short stub to the anticlockwise route over the viaduct? If so, I agree with you - and forgot to remove it off the plan.

We agreed to keep the run around loop at that platform and a set back siding.

Jason - please take my outline plan, scribble your changes and post them.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've got 2 more vids to upload but you'll have to wait a while - the 2 above used my weekly quota on Vimeo.

I'll have a look on YouTube and see what I can do. The second of the next 2 vids is worth watching to get a glimpse of Jason playing train controller in the background!

Jeff