Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

I know  where the plan is, but he doesn't post images directly onto here, and work stops any image that isn't embedded showing ;-{

I hope you are still going to have the valley running away as i suggested?

Andy G

Andy, Jason's plan is at the top of the page, post #9701.

There will no doubt be hundreds of posts discussing the plans when I get round to thinking about them. But the viaduct features strike me as an integral part of whatever I come up with.

Jeff

Excuse me for butting in, but I thought it was the Lunesters who would decide how the final plan will work, Jason, Andy G and others will just TELL you what needs to go where next, hhahhhaha  ho ho ho, To early for Christmas Cheer, I still choking on my chocolate Easter Eggs.

Lord Lunester of Boditsville :no:

• RMweb Premium

Something that just struck me is that if you keep KL as a junction station, then that will be two branches; one linked and the other not. If you are going down the near to prototype route then it could be an idea to lose the branch connection at KL, which loses a bit of operational interest but does simplify one man operation (allowing you to sit back and watch trains pass, with a bit of shunting when you fancy it).

Or.....

You alter history and geography and loop the NER branch round under the viaduct, along the front of the fell and still have the junction at the station. Only consideration would be that you would need exchange sidings an a couple of engine sheds (one NER and one MR) to change locos but operationally, it would be fantastic. Tebay Luneside? :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Personally, I would stick with two branches as you can increase operational interest.  The branchline does not have to be too busy, and you could have a pick up goods going down it once a day plus passenger trains.

• RMweb Premium

With two branches, just think of the wonderful veriety of coaching stock you could run... including pre-grouping non-corridors! We need to get this layout planned perfectly, so that Jeff can spend his house hunting time building kits of all sorts of interesting things!!

Andy G

I am bringing along a few unopened Parkside kits, and intend to get on with building at least one. Jeff will be assigned one of the others to do :D

Jason -don't bother with the Parkside 16t minerals. Why not get Jeff one of those old Ratio SR bogie parcel van kits? The plastic kit building equivalent of being thrown in at the deep end!

Jeff -The basic Parkside kits aren't much different from putting together an Airfix series 1 Spitfire. The only difference is, everything has to be level and square for good running. Also,as Jason recommended - definitely replace the buffers with white metal ones. The plastic buffers don't last 5 minutes unless you're very careful handling your stock.

Re KL2 I realised that you will have to remove quite a lot from the branch viaduct piers, otherwise the overall height of the scenery will probably be too great. Then I remembered - I'm sure there were some very interesting bridges on the Stainmore line. Stone abutments with a steel/iron span over the river. It would mean having to sacrifice the branch viaduct but would make a nice contrast to the larger mainline structure. Hopefully there might be a few photos in Jasons book?

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Well, I said I wanted ideas....I go out for an hour and return to find another half dozen posts.

My thoughts at the present time are to keep the line under the viaduct totally separate from the S&C line as it's at a lower level and I'm not including any gradients in KL2. I had gradients in the pre-KL layout and it was a nightmare.

The branch line is good for operations, but it needn't be a passenger line. It could be a link from a quarry embedded into the Fell, taking stone onto the main line via the station and out over the viaduct. That would remove the need for a branch cutting adjacent to the main line cutting, making it a bit more realistic. 

The station HAS to be based on a real S&C prototype. I could just stick to Kirkby Stephen as I now know it inside out. Haven't looked - in detail - at other options, BUT....

.... in summary.... I would like:

Double track main line S&C

Single track NER

Branch from station to quarry/workings

Station goods area for shunting

Viaduct(s) as principal feature(s)

Background Fell with rear fiddle yard (12 - 16 roads) for S&C

Lower level fiddle yard (4 roads?) for NER

S&C and NER lines to be roundy roundy

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I would say onto the quarry. To do it properly, half the fell would need to be a quarry face and you would need to represent the buildings, etc.

A mix of Garsdale and KS is what gets my vote, with no branch connection and stick to prototype with KS as a second option.

• RMweb Premium

One of the branches could be a proper privately owned one, little industrials runing up and down over battered track (lots of short lengths of flat bottom spiked to half round sleepers prehaps?)  pulling a train of wooden bodied open wagons. I small set of exchange sidings at KL.

This sounds very interesting......

Andy g

Jeff, I think Jason is right about the Quarry, It would have to be like Peter Midwinter's Great Tunsley Dale to look in proportion.

I have been diving in and out of here all evening between visits to FY to keep that updated, I have read a lot of comments, BUT I personally feel simple is best, Twin Track Main Line, Branch off to indipendant F/Y as before and a Single Track NER at a lower level. Also as Jason said; stick as near to a prototype, as in my most humble of opinions  it will always look and operate right.

Bodgit :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I take your point about the quarry. A "token gesture" would look a bit silly!

There is also the issue of the quarry in relation to the NER line, which would be passing close by. Better then to stick to simplicity. But fun to discuss and eliminate potential mishaps before any construction takes place.

Jeff

Yes, I take your point about the quarry. A "token gesture" would look a bit silly!

There is also the issue of the quarry in relation to the NER line, which would be passing close by. Better then to stick to simplicity. But fun to discuss and eliminate potential mishaps before any construction takes place.

Jeff

You mean like I did with FY then :O

Bodge :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium

You mean like I did with FY then :O

Bodge :no: :no: :no: :no:

The difference is that you took on board tons of suggestions when you normally plough on with your own thing. But I'll receive tons of suggestions and not be able to act on any of them for months.

And in the end, the Lunesters will arrive at a concensus view that I'll like and agree to. I'm afraid I trust you lot - you have a proven track record and haven't let me down - yet!

Besides, in the absence of any modelling, designs and plans are interesting.

However - after you and Jason have been up this weekend, I expect I'll have a clearer idea of what I can do. If we can sort out a plan for a goods area - based on prototype (a must - totally agree with you Andy) - I'll start to build it in the new year.

Jeff

The difference is that you took on board tons of suggestions when you normally plough on with your own thing. But I'll receive tons of suggestions and not be able to act on any of them for months.

And in the end, the Lunesters will arrive at a concensus view that I'll like and agree to. I'm afraid I trust you lot - you have a proven track record and haven't let me down - yet!

Besides, in the absence of any modelling, designs and plans are interesting.

However - after you and Jason have been up this weekend, I expect I'll have a clearer idea of what I can do. If we can sort out a plan for a goods area - based on prototype (a must - totally agree with you Andy) - I'll start to build it in the new year.

Jeff

You obviously haven't read the last couple of pages on FY then, hhahaaaa

Bodged it :no:

• RMweb Premium

More stock prepared for the visit (well, for Bacup really but this has really spurred me on).

Hornby Lowmac. This took some effort to get 3 links on as the axle guards and coupling block are a separate moulded unit that is glued to the underside of the floor, and there is no false coupling hook either. As such, I had to remove the moulded bit and hack off the coupling mount, followed by drilling a hole in the buffer beam with a pin vice and then using the blade from a piercing saw to make the slot for the 3 link. that done, I then glued the moulded section back in. I also removed the mould lines from the buffer beams whilst it was in bits, by dragging the scalpel blade along them (and across the buffer surfaces).

WagonsAhoy002_zps4ad20b65.jpg

Parkside Lowfit. I built this a long time ago but the weathering was a bit rubbish and there is very little room to add any weight. I have had the dumper (a Langley one) made up for ages so thought why not pop it in the wagon with a couple of sleepers to hold it in place? Instant weight and an interesting load.

WagonsAhoy001_zpsebef9756.jpg

A bit of an eclectic mix of wagons in this pick up goods, but that's because I am slowly working my way through my stock adding the couplings. Not many to do now but I have run out again (well, I have 3 links but need Instanters)

WagonsAhoy004_zps4b04ff62.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think Jeff that the basic ideas in Post No. 9736 are fine 0 but that is my view (obviously) and reflect in soem respects what I would like.  What you really need to decide is what you want your layout to do - are you happy with a couple of roundies or do you want more?

Do you want a junction station with a bit of traffic interchange (i.e. shunting) or not (and don't forget a roundy might become boring once you've built it) - if the answer is 'yes' then what sort of traffic interchange do you want, freight, passenger, perishables (= mainly milk in that neck of the woods) or what?  Those sort of decisions will influence your track and scenery layout  so need to be settled first, and not after you've laid out your track layout ideas.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief Andy, you're keen packing the car already. I've put everything to one side that I am taking but keep getting stuff out again to work on it (glues, paints, tools, etc).

Good grief Andy, you're keen packing the car already. I've put everything to one side that I am taking but keep getting stuff out again to work on it (glues, paints, tools, etc).

Just messing a boot the noo. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: 

I have now emptied it and loaded the other half of the layout in ready for Club tonight, then its the Dogs turn Saturday as we are off to the Greyhounds fundraising, its the last one of the year and that's why I couldn't make Sat. I will load Sunday evening but don't worry Jeff, I am NOT bringing all that.

Bodge :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Jeff is very quiet; track cleaning?

Remember to clean ALL the track Jeff; every last inch will be used. Even though there is no goods yard :(, I still plan to utilise all that you have.

• Like 1

Re post 9705, and Locolines,

I have now found their phone number and they are still very much IN BUSINESS. It transpires that they were not happy with the Web site so they closed it down, if you go on the Web site there is a phone number BUT it isn't Locolines.

The Phone number for Locolines is 01268 729499, I had really brilliant service from them and the Steam sounds that I have for the 3F, 4F, and Super D are in my opinion very good. I have only used them on Fiddlers Yard which is 8 ft but they will have a proper test next Monday on KL.

There is plenty of You Tube footage available so well worth a look.

Bodgit :sungum:

Jeff is very quiet; track cleaning?

Remember to clean ALL the track Jeff; every last inch will be used. Even though there is no goods yard :(, I still plan to utilise all that you have.

Good man J, I am taking a short rake of about 10, 6 wheel Milk Tanks, some 16T Minerals and a rake of Parcels Stock, plus a few Vans.

Jeff, do you want me to throw in some more Vans in? I can provide up to about 30 if you would like a long goods behind your Super D, I have also put in some wagons / vans with Kadee / Bachmann couplings so they will go behind your Locos.

Short Listed Locos are

Ivatt 2

Midland Compound,

Super D, Sound

4F, Sound

3F, Sound

8F, Sound

Jinty,

Duchess,

B17,

and Diesels all Sound fitted include,

Is there anything more you would like to see running on KL before it goes up in smoke, :O or I could come back next week for the timber, :no:  hahahaaa

Bodge. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P