Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Jason, just the CONCEPT of a 2 tier arrangement is very exciting. The NER section need only be a relatively short roundy roundy, linked to a small fiddle yard set below the main boards, but accessible at the rear of the fell, as per the main one. 

This arrangement would take some working out in terms of space, boards etc, but is so good, I love it. The rail could pass through one arch and a stream could still pass through another, say 3 arches along.

Jeff

Jason, just the CONCEPT of a 2 tier arrangement is very exciting. The NER section need only be a relatively short roundy roundy, linked to a small fiddle yard set below the main boards, but accessible at the rear of the fell, as per the main one. 

This arrangement would take some working out in terms of space, boards etc, but is so good, I love it. The rail could pass through one arch and a stream could still pass through another, say 3 arches along.

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Loving this 2 tier idea, it sounds fantastic.

The S&C's Viaduct @ Smardale with its 12 arches  AND  the  NER's @ Smardale Gill with its 14 arches should keep you busy for a couple of nights after KL Mk1 has gone to the big model railway exhibition in the sky!!

Plenty of time for ideas and planning for KL Mk2, really looking forward to this developing!!

Chip

P.S. I can see me having a walk along there to get some pics to tempt you!!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chip. Glad you like the idea.

I think I'd be using the existing viaduct - once it's cleaned up. I don't think I'd be building another one, but if the need arises I'll do it. I quite fancy a ten arch viaduct, but there's probably not the space for it!

Jeff

Here is a link to Smardale Viaduct; you can see the old NER route on the left:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/carlset/smardale-viaduct/

Only issue would be that there are no RTR or kit coke wagons available which is a real shame as it was the raison d'etre for the line. You could alter history I suppose.... :

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brcoke

Hi Jeff and Jason

Theres a photograph here http://www.stainmore150.co.uk/stainmore_story/coke_minerals.html which shows coke loaded into the old wooden 21 ton mineral hoppers in 1945. If Jeff's staying with the same time period it makes life easier by using a more modern equivalent and should tempt Jeff into wagon kit-building with those lovely examples from Parkside, though I imagine he would have to set up a production line!

Bill

Hi Jeff, well you've got me going now, what a wonderful idea, all those long Coal / Coke Trains behind Heavy Freight Locos and just trundling through. I will have to bring a whole stack of pencils up with me as your going to be doing a lot of doodling over the coming Months. hahhahaaa.

Bodge :sungum:

Hi Jeff, well you've got me going now, what a wonderful idea, all those long Coal / Coke Trains behind Heavy Freight Locos and just trundling through. I will have to bring a whole stack of pencils up with me as your going to be doing a lot of doodling over the coming Months. hahhahaaa.

Bodge :sungum:

And a perfect excuse for prototypical double-heading with those light engines over a weight restricted route!

Bill

• RMweb Premium

This is getting cruel. I want to start - NOW!!

By the time the dynamic duo have left, I'll be desperate to start building multi-level supports etc.

Instead - come a week tomorrow - KL will be reduced to rubble! 

If I'm positive I'll see something much better coming out of the "KL experiment"....

The question is - are you ready for another 10,000 posts?

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff, it's getting harder to follow you. Since the office move I have to rely on 3G for web access at work and once the good folk of Teesside are up and about around 10:30 it just dies. So no catching up during tea and lunch breaks.

On fiddle-yards as mine will be under the scenic sections I am thinking about have two separate ones, an up and a down. This means I should be able to access any stock the comes off easily, but then I have the room to work with I think.

On two level layouts, this is what Gordon is doing. A high level to watch trains go round and a lower one to play with, with no connection between the two. If you have room go for it I say.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The really important question is...... are you busy cleaning your track? :D

The all-important addresses for your controller:

Black Five 45026 - 5026

Ivatt 2MT 46406 - 6406

Jinty 47310 - 7310    (actually numbered 47354 currently, unless I get around to renumbering it in the next 4 days)

Crab 42719 - 2719

Stanier 4P 42550 - 2550

Cravens DMU M50779/50812 - 105

3F 43734 - 3734

The Crab and the Jinty aren't weathered yet; I may chuck my airbrush and stuff in the car (if I have room) and get them done whilst up there. By the way, has anyone else with a Crab found that if you add the steps, that it really limits the radius that the front pony truck will go round? I have ended up drilling a couple of additional guide holes and glueing Plastikard to the backs of them to space them out further - leaving them off was not an option.

Can you tell I am getting a bit excited? 

Two wagons nearing completion; white stripes need painting on, 3 links adding and then weathering doing. Much more appropriate to go behind a G2A than all steel minerals

Thevisit001_zps73231e58.jpg

Stock. Locos on top, box with coaches in below, storage boxes full of wagons and parcels stock. the latter haven't been prepared especially for KL (in case you think I am mad) - I plan to throw all the boxes that they came in away as they take up far too much room and are a pain in the backside to put wagons in / take wagons out of.

Thevisit002_zps087bf71b.jpg

Paints, odds and sods, Plastikard (in the larger storage box), track and other stuff for Bodgit in the larger shoebox, wagon kits in the green shoebox (and one on top of the pile. There are other books to bring apart from the Stainmore one

Thevisit003_zps873310bf.jpg

Tools and glues (which will go in a separate box). I may need a larger toolbox :D

Thevisit004_zps0d9aa5f5.jpg

• Like 5

I've just noticed that my last post appears to contradict Bodgit's which was certainly not the intention. So apologies to Andy for any unintended implied criticism! Actually my first thought was of one of those lovely Bachmann 04 2-8-0's towing a long rake of Cooper Craft NE 20 ton wooden hoppers. About 60 should do it! 30 loaded Barrow-bound and 30 return empties. Then there's all the banking which took place! A good reason to weather that Darlington 4MT Jeff. She's going to be a pretty busy lady!

No rush then Jeff, but a heck of a lot to look forward to!

Bill

Question: Why only 10,000 posts? It's 400,000 or be damned!

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I hope you'll pardon this intrusion from a 'foreigner' but I couldn't help but notice your post from about 10 pages back! I'd just been having a quick look in and gathered something was 'up' and it took me back to page 379 to find it!!!

WOW! What a revelation!

Co-coincidently, something similar has been holding me up too.

May I wish you and your brother all the very best with your joint venture and hope it goes smoothly for you.

Cheers,

John E.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pretty sure that 8 coupled locos were banned from the Stainmore route in the 30's (or thereabouts) Bill; 2, 3 and 4MT 2-6-0's are the RTR locos available, with kit built J21's and J25's on the list for WHEN Jeff goes down that route :DI wonder if it would be possible to bash a Parkside 21ton hopper into a coke wagon? Probably more hassle than it is worth.

Jason that is serious stuff, :O  I am looking forward to it, I need to re assess just what I am bringing up as we will have a busy day, should be fun and productive, at least I will get my Locos and Wagons weathered and some of Jeff's as well if he wants.

post-9335-0-85637200-1384807482_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54481300-1384807490_thumb.jpg

Its all in there somewhere :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

Pretty sure that 8 coupled locos were banned from the Stainmore route in the 30's (or thereabouts) Bill; 2, 3 and 4MT 2-6-0's are the RTR locos available, with kit built J21's and J25's on the list for WHEN Jeff goes down that route :DI wonder if it would be possible to bash a Parkside 21ton hopper into a coke wagon? Probably more hassle than it is worth.

I was aware of that Jason, however, like Andy, I see no reason not to use a bit of modellers license unless you're going down the strict prototype route. As I mentioned elsewhere there is a photograph of the line (actually 2!) showing coke loaded into standard NE wooden hoppers, so are coke wagons actually necessary?

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Coke wagons would be nice but probably too much hassle. An absolute must is a Durham Miners train to Ulverston; a rake of Gresleys behind a double headed Mucky Duck and Standard 4MT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff, it's getting harder to follow you. Since the office move I have to rely on 3G for web access at work and once the good folk of Teesside are up and about around 10:30 it just dies. So no catching up during tea and lunch breaks.

On fiddle-yards as mine will be under the scenic sections I am thinking about have two separate ones, an up and a down. This means I should be able to access any stock the comes off easily, but then I have the room to work with I think.

On two level layouts, this is what Gordon is doing. A high level to watch trains go round and a lower one to play with, with no connection between the two. If you have room go for it I say.

That's the initial plan, Jonathan. I'd not have thought of such a thing if the guys on here hadn't started this fantastic NER-Stainmore discussion. It (literally) adds a whole new dimension to the layout and the possibilities running through my mind.... wow! Almost makes up for the inconvenience of scrapping KL.

Yes, 2 totally separate routes - and think of the additional variety of locos I can chuck in.

I may sketch a few ideas onto paper before the boys appear as there contributions will no doubt add refinement to my rough ideas.

The difficult bit is to get the KL geometry/plan out of my head. A substantial Fell and viaduct are all that need remain - rebuilt in a different way.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For the ultimate, how about scrap the S&C and model Belah Viaduct to scale? :D

Having ridden past where it was, the trackbed would have to be about 8' off the floor with the valley bottom at carpet level. I dread to think how much Plastikard it would take to build it but I reckon you would need an oil drum's worth of Mek :)

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/belah.html

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

I hope you'll pardon this intrusion from a 'foreigner' but I couldn't help but notice your post from about 10 pages back! I'd just been having a quick look in and gathered something was 'up' and it took me back to page 379 to find it!!!

WOW! What a revelation!

Co-coincidently, something similar has been holding me up too.

May I wish you and your brother all the very best with your joint venture and hope it goes smoothly for you.

Cheers,

John E.

John, it's great to hear from you! You were, after all, the one who started the S&C section off - way back in May 12.

This is still a bit of a shock to me. A short time ago I'd not even considered a move, but hopefully it'll lead to something a lot better! And a lot more fun!

Keep an eye on what's going on - when you can pull yourself away from all that German H0 stuff!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For the ultimate, how about scrap the S&C and model Belah Viaduct to scale? :D

Having ridden past where it was, the trackbed would have to be about 8' off the floor with the valley bottom at carpet level. I dread to think how much Plastikard it would take to build it but I reckon you would need an oil drum's worth of Mek :)

http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/belah.html

Now then, now then .... let's not go too far! For starters, I'm only a short chappie (5'6") and I'd never reach the top!!!!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

You could build it in BRASS, hhaaaaa

Bodgit :sungum:

I mis-read your post when I first read it....and I wondered if you'd become a shareholder in Ann Summers.....

I thought you wrote "You could build it in BRAS"!!!!!

I won't linger(ie) around - I'll get my coat.....

Jeff

I mis-read your post when I first read it....and I wondered if you'd become a shareholder in Ann Summers.....

I thought you wrote "You could build it in BRAS"!!!!!

I won't linger(ie) around - I'll get my coat.....

Jeff

That's a very expensive way of getting hold of wire. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Good idea, Jason. That's the kind of thing I'd visualised, but hadn't considered the NER line crossing the stream - I had it all along the left bank. 

Your idea is visually more pleasing. The branch viaduct could certainly be used, though it wouuld have to have about 10-15cm trimmed off its "legs" to lower it sufficiently to get the track height to the right level. That isn't a problem!

Jeff

• Like 1