Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like fun, Jonathan. Just be careful they don't then tell you that you're not being paid!

Good weather in Cumbria - though I'm presently ignoring railways and reading my Kindlw.

Jeff

Morning Bill.

I've got a Standard 4MT 2-6-0 number 76020. Tends to get neglected in favour of its 4-6-0 rivals.

Don't worry about the G2A - I ordered one last Thursday!

Jeff

Way to go Jeff!  :imsohappy:  Big and green might look keen but 'twas scruffy and black which kept the wheels of industry turning (he say's badly mangling umpteen metaphors!). 76020. A Kirkby Stephen loco from 21/07/56 to 30/05/59 so right there on home ground! I'll probably end up sniffing around to see what kind of duties she had up there in the wilds now! :nono:

Hope the weathers better on that side of the Bay! :cry:

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Bill

My 2-6-0 has been a bit neglected, possibly because it has an early crest and I tend to run late crests. When I get home I'll have a look at the shed code. She may have to be weathered if she's going into service!

I'll put some pics up of the G2A when it arrives.

Weather has been lovely today across the Bay!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Lovely spring weather here folks, the garden is verdant!

Hasn't stopped me doing a pic of Hornby's latest... the Star in GWR colours... some are saying Hornby have failed with detail on this model, and quality control ain't perfect perhaps but it's still nice...

post-7929-0-23896700-1383616857.jpg

Nicely off-thread....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill - I can see you lurking....

Just got back from Barrow. The 2-6-0 has a Darlington shed code of 51A - it's initial code from 1948.

Had to use a magnifying glass to read it - my eyes aren't what they used to be!!

Jeff

Hi Bill - I can see you lurking....

Just got back from Barrow. The 2-6-0 has a Darlington shed code of 51A - it's initial code from 1948.

Had to use a magnifying glass to read it - my eyes aren't what they used to be!!

Jeff

Har! Missed this post! I must have scurried off before you hit the button Jeff. The nice thing about shed plates in 4mm scale is how easy they are to lose under a coat of grime!

As for your eyes not being what they used to be, I have to wear glasses to see the ruddy locos these days, never mind shed plates. You wouldn't believe how many 24D transfers it took before I got one onto 76080! The one on my left ear still won't come off. What with that and the shaky hands I'm beginning to think old age is creeping up on me. I only hope I don't start getting sensible like most of the old codgers in these parts! :senile: :nono:

Have fun!

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill.

Hope you've now managed to clean your left ear!

Busy day today, but hoping to get started on the other platform tomorrow. This is a bit more complicated, but it'll be good to start making something again.

I wonder how Bodgit is getting on. Is he relaxing or bored out of his head?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I've just been doing a catchup on this enjoyable thread, and have a couple of thoughts regarding recent photos. One is whether you have thought of a dust cover for the storage sidings, especially if you are keeping stock there when undertaking dusty modelling. Even a simply framed sheet of cardboard can keep off a lot of mess.

The other is that the platform framing could be simplified by using longer strips at about 45 degrees, triangulating the structure. Larger triangles could be subdivided as required. Less accurate cutting is needed compared with the current design.

Sorry if I've missed comments on this earlier, and keep up the great work

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I've just been doing a catchup on this enjoyable thread, and have a couple of thoughts regarding recent photos. One is whether you have thought of a dust cover for the storage sidings, especially if you are keeping stock there when undertaking dusty modelling. Even a simply framed sheet of cardboard can keep off a lot of mess.

The other is that the platform framing could be simplified by using longer strips at about 45 degrees, triangulating the structure. Larger triangles could be subdivided as required. Less accurate cutting is needed compared with the current design.

Sorry if I've missed comments on this earlier, and keep up the great work

Dave

Dave - many thanks for the comments. I hadn't thought of framing the platform in that way. It's a good idea and you're quite correct about it then needing less accurate cutting. The straight-across, notched bracers are easy enough to make, but a pain when you've got a few dozen to cut! I'll give your method a go when I start again tomorrow.

As for the storage sidings.... I actually only leave a couple of locos in the bunker, most being returned to their cabinets. However, it's been "playtime" recently - I'm a real sucker for standing watching the weathered locos and stock go round and round. So I've kept about 80 wagons in there. I normally put a couple of towels over the top, but a card cover would be just as easy (and more rigid).

Please keep commenting - an outside view is always helpful. That's why I value the dual rogues of Jason and Bodge so highly!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Rogue? I prefer Annoying Advisor myself :)

Umm.... annoying advisor?

No, I would say "contructive and sensible advice" advisor, though that doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

With what is likely to happen in the next year (if you take my meaning) your input will, no doubt, become even more valuable!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Polly, you are far TOO kind!

All I've done today is have a 30 minute play - and I mean PLAY. Had the Black 5 chuffing around and enjoyed sounding the whistle and listening to the coal being scuttled into the "boiler"... that fireman was working bloomin' hard!!

Out with the 2mm ply and craft knife tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed your coffee. I'm off to see a friend for coffee and curry shortly.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Polly, you are far TOO kind!

All I've done today is have a 30 minute play - and I mean PLAY. Had the Black 5 chuffing around and enjoyed sounding the whistle and listening to the coal being scuttled into the "boiler"... that fireman was working bloomin' hard!!

Out with the 2mm ply and craft knife tomorrow.

Hope you enjoyed your coffee. I'm off to see a friend for coffee and curry shortly.

Jeff

30 minute play and Black 5 sounds good to me.  One of those engines I make a beeline for at railway centres/museums.

I'm way behind you on the planning stage but, thankfully, I'm enjoying that bit and there's always a surprise or two round the corner.

I usually have tea that time of day, but looking out at the weather, a coffee fitted the bill just perfect.

Waiting to see what you do with the 2mm ply (and for The Return of the Bodgit).

Polly

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

30 minute play and Black 5 sounds good to me.  One of those engines I make a beeline for at railway centres/museums.

I'm way behind you on the planning stage but, thankfully, I'm enjoying that bit and there's always a surprise or two round the corner.

I usually have tea that time of day, but looking out at the weather, a coffee fitted the bill just perfect.

Waiting to see what you do with the 2mm ply (and for The Return of the Bodgit).

Polly

It'll be the main platform/support area for the station building, Polly.

I'll build this in 3 or 4 sections as it's got a curvy bit and the platform I built was relatively fragile - and the new construct is a fair bit bigger.

Once that's done (it'll take a week, maybe), I have no excuses for starting work on the main station building. Now that WILL be a new adventure for me and I'm looking forward to it!

Jeff

I have been away from KL for a few days and am suffering the side effects of SERIOUS MODELLER'S who have, or some have, GIVEN UP ON Hornby because they got the wrong number of spokes on the front bogie wheels of their new GWR Star models.

Also they have the front lamp bracket on top of the boiler on a 1935 version when it had been lowered to the smokebox, probably (teams of avid historians are researching as we speak) , in 1933. Shock! Horror!

I enhanced a photo of the model which by luck I received in NZ before most buyers in the UK... (air packet from Kernows took 5 days) and after I finished an astute observer pointed out plastic webbing visible on two rear driving wheel spokes, so I removed the webbing in the pic... NOW I am told by the GWR experts that some GWR drivers were not hollow...

Help me someone to regain my composure!

I am trying new format here too, click to enlarge;

post-7929-0-24112200-1383769336_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Rob, that's a superb photo. I love the angle and the fact that you are closer to the model than previously. More, please!

I had a look at the thread and saw all the people bemoaning the fact that the model should have 10 spokes, not 12. Such a lot of angst! Yes, Hornby should have got it right, but I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Jeff

Edit: Or is it 12 and they've done 10?!!  

Edited by Physicsman

Hornby put 12-spoke wheels on all the Stars so far, should be 10-spoke. I've edited my picture to 10-spoke, easy to do, but have 10-spoke wheels from Peter's Spares to fit at some point if I wish.

Wouldn't happen on the Midland!

edit;

Actually it is a superb model!

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Regardless, people will buy it in great numbers. The Black Five needs a fair bit of fettling but I bet they have sold tens of thousands of them. Would Bachmann have done a better job? Possibly, but I bet it wouldn't run as well. My Hornby steamers far out perform the Bachy ones.

Jeff, if you can hold off starting the station building for a couple of weeks, I can give you some pointers which may help.

• RMweb Premium

Regardless, people will buy it in great numbers. The Black Five needs a fair bit of fettling but I bet they have sold tens of thousands of them. Would Bachmann have done a better job? Possibly, but I bet it wouldn't run as well. My Hornby steamers far out perform the Bachy ones.

Jeff, if you can hold off starting the station building for a couple of weeks, I can give you some pointers which may help.

Yes, that's fine. I'll do that!

I've sent you a PM.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I have been away from KL for a few days and am suffering the side effects of SERIOUS MODELLER'S who have, or some have, GIVEN UP ON Hornby because they got the wrong number of spokes on the front bogie wheels of their new GWR Star models.

Also they have the front lamp bracket on top of the boiler on a 1935 version when it had been lowered to the smokebox, probably (teams of avid historians are researching as we speak) , in 1933. Shock! Horror!

I enhanced a photo of the model which by luck I received in NZ before most buyers in the UK... (air packet from Kernows took 5 days) and after I finished an astute observer pointed out plastic webbing visible on two rear driving wheel spokes, so I removed the webbing in the pic... NOW I am told by the GWR experts that some GWR drivers were not hollow...

Help me someone to regain my composure!

I am trying new format here too, click to enlarge;

attachicon.gifGWR_Star_4018_3a_r1200.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Rob, that's a stunning photo, as always, and more than does the model justice.

You should know better than to cross swords with followers of "God's Wonderful Railway", they seem to be far more fanatical than equivalent devotees of the Midland or other regions. I'm not sure why that is, but it's how it feels sometimes.

Yes, Hornby shouldn't have got such an obvious thing wrong as the wheels, but they're manufacturing for the mass market, and if the front truck and wheels fit loads of different models, why do a special run just for the Star?

Whatever they may claim, they're not building scale replicas, they're building trainsets...

(dons tin hat and flame-proof overalls)

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Rob, that's a stunning photo, as always, and more than does the model justice.

You should know better than to cross swords with followers of "God's Wonderful Railway", they seem to be far more fanatical than equivalent devotees of the Midland or other regions. I'm not sure why that is, but it's how it feels sometimes.

Yes, Hornby shouldn't have got such an obvious thing wrong as the wheels, but they're manufacturing for the mass market, and if the front truck and wheels fit loads of different models, why do a special run just for the Star?

Whatever they may claim, they're not building scale replicas, they're building trainsets...

(dons tin hat and flame-proof overalls)

Al.

Just as well you donned such apparel - Hornby have used the correct wheels on all their other recent GWR tender engines , so why get it wrong this time?  Some of the other detail on the 'Stars' is excellent but if somebody is going to sell me an engine for just shy of 150 quid I would at least expect the right wheels when I know the manufacturer not only makes them but will be putting them on something that will retail for just over 80 quid.  It is but a minor detail - although one that is very obvious in low angle views - but I don't like being taken for a dummy or being told by the manufacturer's representative that they are right and I am wrong (especially after I checked my facts).

Incidentally it seems certain LMS locos also have incorrect bogie wheels and have had for some time.

• RMweb Gold

Oops... sorry Mike.

I have not been a party to the discussion, and wasn't aware that you had had dealings with Hornby's rep. I agree totally that they should get such fundamental things correct - as should other manufacturers, it's not just Hornby who make glaring errors some times - and for them to claim they got it right is ludicrous.

I'm waving a white flag here... can you see the bit which hasn't been scorched? :)

Al.

• Like 1