Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Donw said:

Very neatly done Jerry. It is a fair sized frame what are you using for point motors?

Don 

Tortoise for  all the mainline point work .

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, queensquare said:

Progress on Bath is painfully slow at the moment - not just because I’m busy with work/garden/grandsons etc but also because the job in hand is painfully slow  - and deadly dull!

Im working on the wiring up of the main panel so that when the point motors on the main run into the station are fitted I can connect them to the lever frame properly and not in some temporary lash up that would almost certainly remain temporary for years!

All the point levers are now connected to D plugs. This main frame only controls the signals and all the points necessary to run in and out of the station, the various yard points will be on their own, much smaller, local panels. Two nine pin D plugs are sufficient for the points, the 25 pin D plugs are for the signals - it may be some while before they are needed!

Jerry

IMG_1964.jpeg.1eec25b8adaee30c9316e54860c0663a.jpeg

Nice work, Jerry.

Before you go much further, may I suggest that you label each end of every wire? I use a labelling machine, wrapping the tape round the wire to that it sticks back on itself, if you see what I mean. Saves a lot of grumbling if when one falls off.

Edited by St Enodoc
speling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice work, Jerry.

Before you go much further, may I suggest that you label each end of every wire? I use a labelling machine, wrapping the tape round the wire to that it sticks back on itself, if you see what I mean. Saves a lot of grumbling if when one falls off.

Good call. The reason I went for the D plugs with screw terminals is they are numbered so that it’s easier to keep track of the various wires. It’s also why I opted to have separate plugs for points and signals. I shall do the same with the smaller, yard panels which won’t have any signals but will have points and uncoupling magnets. I  have a wiring diagram with them all noted on. 

Im trying to be as methodical as I can with the wiring so that any fault finding will be reasonably straightforward to trace. I’ll be honest in that I’m not particularly enjoying it but I’m determined to do it myself so I can fix it if needed! I’m way out of my comfort zone with this sort of work, I’m much happier cutting things out and sticking them together! 😊

Jerry

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think it is true that other things like other layouts and doing all those shows may have slowed progress but hey you have enjoyed yourselves.  Sticking to just doing the big layout could well have become a chore if it stopped you doing anything else. You could even have abandoned it.

As it is I think you have been making good progress and enjoying the build. The rate of progress seems to have sped up in recent years. I think you should be pretty pleased with how its turning out.

Don

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I gather these engines were originally provided with tender cabs because they were too long for the turntables so were expected to spend half their time running tender first. When were turntables enlarged and tender cabs removed?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad you’re going to keep the lettering, Jerry. It’s a bloody decent job, and we all should hold on to a bit of our modelling history, just to remind us we’re making progress. Nice to see all three in consecutive posts…

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I gather these engines were originally provided with tender cabs because they were too long for the turntables so were expected to spend half their time running tender first. When were turntables enlarged and tender cabs removed?

Morning Stephen. The tender cabs proved unpopular with crews because of poor ventilation in the tunnels on the climb out of Bath - they tended to fill with smoke. In addition, manoeuvring long fire irons on the enclosed footplate was also an issue. The tender cabs were therefore removed, exactly when is unclear. Some sources state by1920, others a couple of years later. Either way, they had all gone by the time the second, large boiled batch of 7Fs arrived in 1925 so my picture of 81 and 88 above is a complete anomaly - oh well!

The 42’ Bath turntable was replaced in 1935 which meant the 7Fs could then turn there although they still spent a lot of time running tender first on the coal traffic as  there was never a turntable at Radstock and the too small table at Templecombe remained until the end. They could turn at Evercreech though, without looking it up, I'm not sure when that table went in - I suspect around the same time as Bath.

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks. Does that mean that for 1920 they should all be the same way round?

Chimney first heading south out of Bath seems to have been the convention so, yes, up until the new turntable was installed they were all the same way round. This seems to have continued for coal trains from Norton /Radstock until the end.

I can’t remember ever seeing a picture of a 7F heading out of Bath tender first but that’s not to say it never happened!

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1