Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Recently came across this fantastic picture from the Bath Chronicle in 1914. I really should get my tender cabbed 7F painted - plain black so no excuse really!

Jerry

image.jpeg.0f1d8b7f3421c4cda3e898859bd2b6f5.jpeg

IMG_0880.jpeg.b9d07a2458c09f5422ef72676ca9fdb9.jpeg

Thanks for posting this Jerry, I've not seen this image before either and find the view of No.5 just as interesting as No.80 as I intend to build one of the Fox Walkers as my next S&DJR 3mm locos; I was looking for a suitable chassis at our AGM last Sat but couldn't find one although there's always a chance that I've already bought one in readiness but it needs 'unearthing' from the mess that my modelling room is currently in, it's just taken me several days to find my part built mail van kit that I'd only seen a few weeks ago ... it was in a clear plastic box right next to my seat but underneath some other things !! (LoL ... hangs head in shame.)

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, queensquare said:

You could be describing my bench Ian! 😊

IMG_1151.jpeg.c5a715681ae680fb1d42f3f502dbb13c.jpeg

No81 being towed to the paint shop by Fox Walker No1

Jerry

Seems to be a familiar refrain; I have trouble finding the bench let alone anything in the piles of ‘stuff’ on it!

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I looked to catch up with you at railex, the layout looked really good. I could not get through as every time I got back to see it, you were surrounded by groupies several rows deep. Clearly very popular.

richard 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/05/2024 at 16:35, St Enodoc said:

With a fair wind and following seas, there's a slim - very slim - chance that I'll get to Railex.

Unfortunately, family business prevailed so I wasn't able to make it. Another time.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, queensquare said:

My liking of eight coupled locos, even if not strictly suitable for the S&D just got out of hand!

At the excellent Aylesbury show last weekend I was given this beast. A member had been left a large collection of unboxed stuff which had had a hard life. The monster B&O 2-8-8-4 has a few bits and pieces missing but is otherwise in good shape and runs superbly. The comparison with the 7F highlights just how huge it is, particularly when it’s remembered it’s actually to the slightly smaller scale of 1:160.

It will just about squeeze through Windsor Hill but is way out of gauge for Combe Down/Devonshire. It will therefore sadly be restricted to trip working between the colliery and the sector plate! Mind - there are no low bridges on the Midland and I'm not bound by the weight restrictions on the bridges over the Avon……!😊

Jerry

IMG_1203.jpeg.ebceaea82cd095ac77889370bc0736a1.jpeg

IMG_1206.jpeg.5820bca3592f2025af59593a7d94b018.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg.39077cc45eec1862e707de488ffb6caa.jpeg

if it could clear the tunnels would it need a banker? 😁

• Funny 3

On 31/05/2024 at 04:17, queensquare said:

My liking of eight coupled locos, even if not strictly suitable for the S&D just got out of hand!

I'm currently sorting out an illusive 2-6-0 for a few people. That should be done in the next month or three.

I have a beyer garrat on my long term list. I could be persuaded to hook you up Jerry... :)

60proto2.jpg.f8d099a968bd330f44af2b9619577064.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

I'm currently sorting out an illusive 2-6-0 for a few people. That should be done in the next month or three.

I have a beyer garrat on my long term list. I could be persuaded to hook you up Jerry... :)

60proto2.jpg.f8d099a968bd330f44af2b9619577064.jpg

That’s a beast Bruce.

Those allusive 2-6-0s did run into Bath - a red one even spent the summer of 1927 there on trial!

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Funny, my original 00 S&D loft layout, set in the 1950s had a couple of Crabs lingering on way past their actual departure date along with a couple of Ivatt 2.6.0s. Both types a favourite of mine so simply put, they stayed ! 

Rob. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Those allusive 2-6-0s did run into Bath - a red one even spent the summer of 1927 there on trial!

You'll enjoy lining the tender, Jerry...

• Funny 1

I recall as a teenager making a visit to Hamilton sheds. The entrance to the shed itself was an arched passageway through the offices. All you could see at the far end of the passage was the cylinders of a crab!

Jim 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

I recall as a teenager making a visit to Hamilton sheds. The entrance to the shed itself was an arched passageway through the offices. All you could see at the far end of the passage was the cylinders of a crab!

Jim 

I remember on one of our visits to the NRM going in the cab of the Midland single followed shortly after by the Crab. The latter was like a barn in comparison- those little Midland cabs may have been elegant but offered scant  protection!

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, queensquare said:

I remember on one of our visits to the NRM going in the cab of the Midland single followed shortly after by the Crab. The latter was like a barn in comparison- those little Midland cabs may have been elegant but offered scant  protection!

And yet a Crab cab felt distinctly insecure - probably a psychological effect caused by the combination of the tender being significantly narrower than the loco cab together with the way the motion caused the loco to constantly pitch left and right at any sort of speed.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2024 at 01:39, CF MRC said:

If Steve wants to see CF, it is fully up at Keen House this week. 

Tim

Im not sure of Steves itinery, or how much longer he is in the UK but I have pinged him a message so he may well be in touch,

Jerry

Larkrail2024copy.jpg.a391004abd89d5fe776635de396e0eea.jpg

• Like 4