Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

I see Steam at Swindon mentions that there will be a 2mfs model of Bath Queens Square. This must be you what are you taking? Unfortunately I may be away then.

Don

Hi Don. Depends what I can get up there without a van. I will either take one of the baseboards or just some of the buildings. Either way there will be a selection of models, buildings, stock etc along with lots of photos, maps and other research material.

Jerry

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick update regarding Pete Wrights book 'loco bits and pieces'. I helped Paula Martin on the 2mm Roadshow last weekend at the excellent RailWells and noted that the book, in slightly updated form from my copy, is still available. This really is a superb little booklet and I can highly recommend getting yourself a copy, regardless of what scale you model in.

Re. making Salter valves, Pete advocates using fine tube from a hypodermic along with wire and brass shim which is broadly what I was going to do. Hoping to get that job ticked off in the next couple of evenings and will post progress.

Jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I helped Paula Martin on the 2mm Roadshow last weekend at the excellent RailWells

Jerry

And very busy you looked, there always seemed to be a crowd round you.  And you were very handily positioned, right next to Ynys Gwyntog

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wells was, as usual a very enjoyable weekend although I was starting to run out of voice by the afternoon. The policy of not only providing lunch but homemade cakes mid afternoon is, however, a great aid to a chaps stamina!

Jerry

• Like 1

Managed to get a bit more done on the 1F this week. By far the most time consuming addition was the smoke box door, fourteen pieces and about six hours - it's remarkable how much time having these sort of things available as castings saves.

Lovely. I want one.

Edited by bill-lobb

Finished and ready for a good scrub and painting.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

jerry

Jerry

Do you have a photo of underneath of chassis showing brake rigging cross members and how you did them?

And I notice there are rubbing contacts on top of rear drivers, does this mean it is not conventional split axle insulation picking up from chassis/axle each side? or are they just additional "belt and braces" pickups?

Oliver

• RMweb Gold

Superb bit of work Jerry. On my screen that close up photo is much larger than the real thing yet nothing shows up that is a 2mm model  except perhaps the size of the motor.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Jerry

Do you have a photo of underneath of chassis showing brake rigging cross members and how you did them?

And I notice there are rubbing contacts on top of rear drivers, does this mean it is not conventional split axle insulation picking up from chassis/axle each side? or are they just additional "belt and braces" pickups?

Oliver

Hi Oliver, the brake rigging is assembled with the wires and rigging going from side to side to make sure everything lines up. When happy I snip a couple of mm out of the middle and slide some fine black electric sleeveing on and just touch the ends with a bit of superglue. You can see the black sleeveing if you look under the front of the loco although I will take a picture of the underside for you.

It is conventional split chassis, the extra top wipers are indeed, as you say, belt and braces. Reliable running is all about pickup in 2mm so I always fit extra fine wipers to tank engines. I tend not to bother on tender locos as with every wheel picking up the extra complication is not necessary. The front wheels have Simpson springs but there is little room at the rear so I use top wipers which are easy to fit and adjust and are out of site under the tank.

jerry

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well it was wet and miserable here today so I couldn't go out to play in the garden. I therefore thought I would progress the 3P a bit. She now has the worm and worm shaft fitted and I decided to fit a flywheel which I turned up on the Unimat. I dont normally fit flywheels so this is a bit of an experiment - it does at least add a nice bit of weight over the drivers. The drive shaft is only a temporary one which is long enough to fit in the minidrill in order to spin the gears.

post-1074-0-95692000-1447534701_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-90282500-1447534524_thumb.jpg

Jerry

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don, that's probably because many of the UJs I see are far more complex than they need to be:-)

The UJ, other than being on the back of a flywheel, is my standard design. Having one end of the shaft attached through a hole is really useful in that the shaft can't fall out and get lost. The other end will be of more conventional design.

I'm in the workshop today and hope to make the motor end so will take some pictures.

Jerry