Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

• RMweb Premium

After my recent operation, there's been plenty of that. Daily Fybogel and prunes combine to provide considerable, er, fuel.

Roll on Scaleforum, that's what I say.

Hmm, thanks for the warning - think I'll maybe give it a miss this year!

Edited by Colin

roundhouse, on 12 Sept 2014 - 13:09, said:

All of us looking forward to a decent cooked breakfast with loads of BEANS this Sunday morning at the B & B before we head back to work the layout at TINGS!!!

You have been warned!!! :stinker:

Should have Modelled LA instead of Santa Barbara then. Genuine scale smog. :no:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good evening all. Thought this might make you laugh and if not, well............

I attended the Shipley Show on Saturday and good it was too. However, despite preparing myself carefully, I discovered that my so called clean shirt started to stink of onion once I had entered the Hall. I was thinking, blimey who is that that stinks.....and then the metal money piece dropped and I realised it was me. Oh dear.

Then I spotted some very attractive OO Box vans, and a couple of unfitted opens and a SR Pill Bog Brake Van.... folowed by a SR bogie van in Crimson and they all went in my mini rucksack (normally not a person basher). Shipley has a rather crowded venue and as I stood by Leicester South several people bashed into the rucksack (note, I didn't bash them.....).

At that point I decided it was time to clamp arms tight to my sides and slip carefully out into the refreshingly damp afternoon.

So what then? Well I have truly sinned at an Exhibition and this is my first confession on RMWeb. :sarcastichand:

Concluding I must apologise to the attendees of the above stated show.

Sincerely, Mad Duck of 36E :onthequiet:

• Like 2

I've been close to being lynched a couple of times, by fellow exhibitors, due to us allowing (in fact actively encouraging) younger visitors to operate the controller of the shunting yard at the front of the layout. This is the very reason we designed the layout.

The best reaction I did observe was this year at Brighton Modelworld, late on the Sunday afternoon I was in need of a lift of spirits and one of my fellow operators sent through to the shunting zone a pair of bogie bolsters containing a Barbie's leg in place of the normal steel billet load; there was a rather rectal-cranial type nearby who actually swore in front of children and looked like he was about to grab this load off the layout to stamp on it, neadless to say my giggling didn't help his lack of sense of humour.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I've been close to being lynched a couple of times, by fellow exhibitors, due to us allowing (in fact actively encouraging) younger visitors to operate the controller of the shunting yard at the front of the layout. This is the very reason we designed the layout.

The best reaction I did observe was this year at Brighton Modelworld, late on the Sunday afternoon I was in need of a lift of spirits and one of my fellow operators sent through to the shunting zone a pair of bogie bolsters containing a Barbie's leg in place of the normal steel billet load; there was a rather rectal-cranial type nearby who actually swore in front of children and looked like he was about to grab this load off the layout to stamp on it, neadless to say my giggling didn't help his lack of sense of humour.

I like it. I once shunted the yard on Long Preston with my UP 4-8-4 which had a santa fe caboose as a match truck for the couplers.That caused a few raised eyebrows when teh loco was the length of 5 wagons.

Jamie

• Like 1

I like it. I once shunted the yard on Long Preston with my UP 4-8-4 which had a santa fe caboose as a match truck for the couplers.That caused a few raised eyebrows when teh loco was the length of 5 wagons.

Jamie

Was that at the Wakefield show where I was running my Hornby Bill and Ben up and down long preston's narrow gauge line?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was that at the Wakefield show where I was running my Hornby Bill and Ben up and down long preston's narrow gauge line?

Probably, we hadall sorts atdiffernt times, including a spam can at Redruth and the Spurn Point sail powered trolley at Warley. The other good Sunday afternoon one was to take the loco off the single (Which wasn't powered and then run 4 clerestories arond pulled by the tender which weighred 3lbs and had two motors in it.

Jamie

Ah but annoying the No-Sense-Of-Humour brigade is hilarious in itself.

It sometimes makes me wonder if some people don't actually enjoy the hobby but suffer from it instead.

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

Winding up the humour deprived can be one of the most enjoyable parts of exhibiting. Once upon a time we had a working drift mine on a layout. The main operation was loading aquarium gravel "coal" into the narrow gauge cars off scene. The cable then pulled the cars out of the mine where they side dumped into standard gauge wagons. During the course of a weekend the coal was likely to be replaced with many other things. One Sunday afternoon one of the group replaced the signage on the mine office and it spent the rest of the day operating as a Smartie mine. Kids loved it. Parents had a giggle, and the humourless a-holes stayed away in droves. One jerk even went so far as to complain to the show manager about how inappropriate it was. I won't repeat what the manager's response.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Stand at a layout for about 15 minutes....

Catch the attention of an operator....

Casually mention; "You know, this layout would look much better as Great Western/ Midland/Northern/Southern/Modern Image/Industrial" (*)

(Delete as appropriate).

Wear running shoes....

Ian