Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How to get lynched at a model railway show

BR60103

The support group is on wednesdays in the church hall, you're welcome to join us.

Brilliant, do I get to dress in black and recite mass backwards? Sounds great. :jester:

PS.I hope this isn't a stupid question but do I need to bring a sacrifice?

Edited by iainp

Some of the stories relayed above reminded me of an incident that occurred at an exhibition many moons ago whilst I was manning the club display stand.

Part of the exhibit included a selection of my then fledgling assortment of Newton Abbot locomotives. One of which, 'Castle Class' 5071 Spitfire, became the subject of scrutiny from a smartly dressed elderly gentleman. "Spitfire was a Southern loco and would not have been sheded at Newton Abbot" said he, "Also it was to the best of my knowledge never rebuilt, so would not have run without its streamlined casing as you have modelled here". His parting words were "You need to do your research in this hobby young man". Despite the exuberance of youth I restrained from replying and was consoled by a wry smile from my colleague who simply exclaimed "I'll go and get the brews lad"!

Looking back now, all of his proclamations were actually factually correct, non more so than the advice concerning research! I do hope that gent enjoyed his remaining years and is now at peace.

Regards,

Andy. 

Edited by Andy M
  • Like 7

The problem with experts is that there is always someone who knows more about something than you do. In the model railway world, it could be almost literally anything - cows, farm vehicles, buses, chip shop signs, canal locks, army uniforms, and so on and so forth.

I find we all have our own obsessions too, and are blind to some faults, while other faults glare at us. (For example, I hate plain plastic wagon interiors, but it's obvious from observation that there's lots of folk, possibly a clear majority, to whom this doesn't matter one bit.)

So I think the best way forward is to be tolerant. Or as the Bible has it, to be aware of the beam in ones own eye before trying to remove the mote in our brother's.

• RMweb Premium

I never liked to be referred to as an expert at work, at least since I heard the definition.   X--- for the unknown, and spurt ---- a kind of drip.

Derek

Or as I heard it once:

Ex = has-been

Spurt = A drip under pressure

Thus:

Expert = A has-been drip under pressure 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some of the stories relayed above reminded me of an incident that occurred at an exhibition many moons ago whilst I was manning the club display stand.

Part of the exhibit included a selection of my then fledgling assortment of Newton Abbot locomotives. One of which, 'Castle Class' 5071 Spitfire, became the subject of scrutiny from a smartly dressed elderly gentleman. "Spitfire was a Southern loco and would not have been sheded at Newton Abbot" said he, "Also it was to the best of my knowledge never rebuilt, so would not have run without its streamlined casing as you have modelled here". His parting words were "You need to do your research in this hobby young man". Despite the exuberance of youth I restrained from replying and was consoled by a wry smile from my colleague who simply exclaimed "I'll go and get the brews lad"!

Looking back now, all of his proclamations were actually factually correct, non more so than the advice concerning research! I do hope that gent enjoyed his remaining years and is now at peace.

Regards,

Andy. 

That gent may have advocated research, but he plainly hadn't researched wheel arrangements or he might have noticed that your "Spitfire" had two less wheels than BR/SR 34066!

• RMweb Premium

The problem with experts is that there is always someone who knows more about something than you do. In the model railway world, it could be almost literally anything - cows, farm vehicles, buses, chip shop signs, canal locks, army uniforms, and so on and so forth.

I find we all have our own obsessions too, and are blind to some faults, while other faults glare at us. (For example, I hate plain plastic wagon interiors, but it's obvious from observation that there's lots of folk, possibly a clear majority, to whom this doesn't matter one bit.)

So I think the best way forward is to be tolerant. Or as the Bible has it, to be aware of the beam in ones own eye before trying to remove the mote in our brother's.

Hi Poggy

I have learnt a lot for experts in areas I did not have the knowledge base to work from. I think your will agree it is not the expert himself/herself that is the problem but how he/she presents this knowledge. Most do so in away that is pleasant and there inforamtion is most welcoming. Others......well........

Regards,

Andy. 

That gent may have advocated research, but he plainly hadn't researched wheel arrangements or he might have noticed that your "Spitfire" had two less wheels than BR/SR 34066!

Even though the West and South are far away lands of which I know little, I could see that there was confusion here, but I followed my usual practice: LOOK THINGS UP BEFORE YOU STICK YOUR NECK OUT. I'd guessed right, as Colin confirms, but I still think that's good practice.

A true to Southern fan,  posing as a non-expert,......A wind-up ?... by all accounts.

There are quite a few, in close-knit closets

Edited by Ceptic

Expert Modeller: Someone who can open a bottle of liquid poly with one hand

Andi

Dunno about poly but I can do it with a bottle of flux, usually whilst juggling hot things with the other mitt. Nice to know it makes me expert rather than disorganised and with poor planning skills :D.

• Like 2

I think what would be most helpful at exhibitions would be to provide a dustbin for all the packaging that comes with locos and rolling stock purchased from traders at these shows. Think about how small all those rucksacks could be if we just got rid of the waste packaging. Nay, why bring one into the exhibition hall at all? Perhaps traders could offer a supermarket carrier bag with each purchase.

As an aside on heritage galas the most offensive thing I've ever managed to do was when swmbo and myself took a bottle of wine along to have with our lunch. 

Just after we got settled in the carriage a High Vis Jacket and his mate got on. I understand high vis jackets are de rigueur for the more serious enthusiasts to show that they are more knowledgeable than everyone else.

On spotting us and the bottle the HVJ says to his mate: "I'm not sitting next to wine, let's get out of here."...and stormed out of the carriage.  

Priceless. 

• Like 2

At the Southampton show this last weekend, somebody mentioned the loco colour on the Neath & Brecon loco's was wrong....

Now, I don't know anybody who is better informed on the N&B than Tudor Watkins, and they are his Loco's and he was 'operating' the layout at the time.

For us other operators, it was priceless, Tudor was lost for words..... then he told the gentleman to come to the end of the layout where he (Tudor) hoped to find out where the correct information could be obtained, the chap said that he (Tudor) should have contacted a 'Tudor Watkins', who this chap knew extremely well, for the correct livery colours etc., before painting the stock, wrongly .............  

Those who know Tudor, will understand why we were so amazed he didn't explode....

But many and varied Welsh expletives followed the chap into the distance......

• Like 3

I hardly ever comment on a layout - except positively - unless asked to do so. One day, at an EM gauge event a nice chap asked me if I could see anything wrong with his (ex Midland) layout, and I ventured an opinion that having a signal placed half way through a point was wrong. He agreed with a smile - saying he had done it for reasons of compression.

A few months later I was looking through a book about LNWR signalling - and guess where that august company had placed one of its signals? Exactly as per layout! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At the Southampton show this last weekend, somebody mentioned the loco colour on the Neath & Brecon loco's was wrong....

Now, I don't know anybody who is better informed on the N&B than Tudor Watkins, and they are his Loco's and he was 'operating' the layout at the time.

For us other operators, it was priceless, Tudor was lost for words..... then he told the gentleman to come to the end of the layout where he (Tudor) hoped to find out where the correct information could be obtained, the chap said that he (Tudor) should have contacted a 'Tudor Watkins', who this chap knew extremely well, for the correct livery colours etc., before painting the stock, wrongly .............  

Those who know Tudor, will understand why we were so amazed he didn't explode....

But many and varied Welsh expletives followed the chap into the distance......

Absolutely priceless !!

• RMweb Gold

At the weekend some one asked if the layout was a model of a real place.

I thought that the opened folder of photos of the real Banbury was enough evidence let along the guide write up and info sheets on the front of the layout!!

Don't believe all you read about a model of a real place.... www.hvr.org.uk

• Like 2

At the weekend some one asked if the layout was a model of a real place.

I thought that the opened folder of photos of the real Banbury was enough evidence let along the guide write up and info sheets on the front of the layout!!

So is it or isn't it? ...... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Don't believe all you read about a model of a real place.... www.hvr.org.uk

Many years ago  when I first built Appledore, a friend doctored some black and white photos of Seaton by putting Appledore on the station names and we created a history stating that the LSWR rebuilt the line after WW1 then the Southern  rebuilt the station. We did get a few people say that they remembered being there !!

• Like 3