Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the kind comments David. We had quite a few people who had travelled to see the layout and the venue was very stylish.  I was home by 0130 on Monday morning.  We took 2h 15m to take down and load the van - not bad considering. 

Tim

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Back to working on the big engine (Raven 4-6-2 class) with lubricators, sandbox filers and a small footplate handrail.

IMG_9996.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The lubricator was ‘lost plastic’ cast from a very detailed 3DP courtesy of Simon Grand. It is amazing how the detail has picked up in the casting. 

IMG_9983.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The base peg was used to help locate the steel running plate that is also held down by magnets. The sand box filler also started off as a peg through a hole into the brass sub-structure. As always, easier to start with a large component - to hold whilst soldering - and then trim to size. 
IMG_9991.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The little nickel silver handrail was bent up with two locating holes in the running plate and a spacer gauge whittled from a scrap of paxolin. IMG_9993.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b
This was then soldered in place clamping the handrail between some jaws of titanium tweezers (they don’t take solder) and soldered in place from underneath. Any excess solder and wire was simply filed away.
IMG_9992.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b
Finally, a picture of the prototype for comparison. IMG_9995.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Tim

That looks excellent Tim. I'm glad the lubricators have proved to be useful. Full size the NER lubricators look quite distinctive. That the 2mm model still shows some of that character despite them being tiny is pleasing. However, it's my brother Andy who you should thank for the prints. He did the design and printing. I just photographed and offered up a ruler to the real thing on the surviving Q7. 

Simon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, CF MRC said:

Turning attention to the cab spectacle e on the NER 4-6-2 class, I have put in the quarter light separator bar within the window frame. This was made from brass strip let in to a notch cut in the spectacle plate itself with a large piercing saw blade.

IMG_0002.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

IMG_0004.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The over width strip was then paired down to be flush at the front.  I’m not sure how much lining out was applied to cab fronts on NER engines, but the brass window surrounds will probably just be achieved by scraping the edges of the windows. 
IMG_0011.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The gap between the firebox and the cab will be covered by a cleading strip. 

IMG_0773.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

The steel cab roof has also now been fitted, making for a suitably rigid structure.  Does anyone have any details of the cab roof ventilators on these Raven cabs?

IMG_0010.jpeg?width=960&height=720&fit=b

Tim

PM sent. Normally a variation on a sliding ventilator between two runners. All quite tight to the cab roof:

Mike 1501 Flickr image of preserved Q6 63395

Rober McCulloch Flickr image of the same loco:

The Q7 and A2 were slightly different in that the ventilator slid between end stops so it was effectively in a frame:

Jacobite52 Flickr image of preserved 901.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The latest copy of the Manchester Model Railway Society's bi-monthly The Link journal has a splendid photo by Phil Sweet on its front cover of Copenhagen Fields from a rather unusual angle.

MMRSTheLink0824CF.jpg.bf07bb7ff384f79716d62732ae5c2bf5.jpg

It is a rather sobering thought that the MRC's Copenhagen Fields and the MMRS's Chee Tor 2FS layouts were started at roughly the same time, albeit several decades ago, but while CF continues to grow, Chee Tor was sold on years ago and now, I believe, hibernates somewhere in the USA.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 10