Copenhagen Fields

CF MRC

I believe it was the 1914-18 spat which caused the change of name from German Silver to Nickel silver.

Jim

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’m still amazed by what you, and others, do in 2mm finescale. Sometimes it’s only by the size of the file marks or blobs in the solder (no criticism intended) that you can tell how small the parts are that you are working on. Inspiring. 

• Agree 7

On 09/05/2024 at 21:03, Caley Jim said:

I believe it was the 1914-18 spat which caused the change of name from German Silver to Nickel silver.

Jim

A look through my 1940 volume of The Model Railway News reveals both Nickel Silver and German Silver are used, German Silver as late as the December issuie.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

A look through my 1940 volume of The Model Railway News reveals both Nickel Silver and German Silver are used, German Silver as late as the December issuie.

Hello Mick. During WW1, it seems that the attitude towards Germany was not as anti as might be expected in some places. I have some pages from an old Engineer Magazine from during WW1, which has superb drawings of the GCR 2-6-4T loco. The articles on the back of the pages are fascinating in the way the war and Germany are covered. There is nothing overtly anti German to speak of. A typical example is a story concerning a factory being opened in this country to produce slide rules "due to difficulties obtaining them from the previous supplier". Another talk about steel factories in Germany doing well financially due to large orders from the government but suffering manpower shortages. So to see the term German Silver still in use doesn't surprise me greatly.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

And then, of course, there were the British cement manufacturers who put profit before patriotism and sold their product to the Germans via neutral Dutch intermediaries in considerable quantity throughout the conflict. The Germans apparently considered British cement to be far superior, particularly for the construction of blockhouses, to their own domestic product. Annual sales of cement to "the Netherlands" during the conflict were some four times higher than they had been in peacetime. Trading direct with the Germans would, of course, have been illegal.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

Trading direct with the Germans would, of course, have been illegal.

But was done. Germans did not have rubber and Britain could not grind glass to make lenses for binoculars, so for the duration of the war they traded these as a straight swap. I personally have never understood why. You can do without binoculars, but rubber for wheels and seals would really slow the Germans down. Modern equivalent: oil and gas from Russia. 
Richard 

• 4 weeks later...

Tim,

The fine mortar courses in the brickwork are very nice - what are you using for the brickwork plasticard? Is it some of your own make?

Cheers,

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is made by a hot forming process on an etched zinc plate, originally manufactured by Dave Hammersley of Roxey Mouldings. 
If we use Slaters brick sheet, the surface detail is sanded off until it virtually disappears and that also gives a finer appearance. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

The real trick with the Salters brick sheet is to paint it a dingy greyish colour (perhaps a bit variable in shade) and let the paint dry really thoroughly, and only then to sand it down.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, bécasse said:

The real trick with the Salters brick sheet is to paint it a dingy greyish colour (perhaps a bit variable in shade) and let the paint dry really thoroughly, and only then to sand it down.

Not sure that will work for London stocks in 2mm scale, David. 

Tim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Not sure that will work for London stocks in 2mm scale, David. 

For London Stocks I would use a dark grey (GW wagon grey perhaps) with some yellow added (how much might need experimentation) - and then give the sanded down "bricks" a very light (use a make-up brush) dusting with a black powder paint. A further dusting with a light grey powder paint might be finally necessary, possibly only in places, but London Stocks generally went remarkably dark quite quickly until the Clean Air Acts came along in the 1950s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, CF MRC said:

The beautiful Coronation set was made by John Aldrick and is more normally seen on Peter Kirmond’s superb York layout.

Two top blokes.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Morning Tim et al

Many thanks for the guided tour around the layout at Buxton; as it was my first time seeing this beauty I was somewhat over-awed, and grateful for the commentary.

I won't bore you with the dozens of photos I took as I'm sure you know what it looks like by now!

A truly outstanding achievement, and fascinating to see how it's developed over the 40 years' building.

Thanks again; hope you had a safe journey home.

Best wishes

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1