Cheap HO scale step-van

There is a bit of an unfortunate ritual in our house, which is to buy our son Elliot a Matchbox or Hot Wheels car every time we go shopping, as long as he's well behaved (He'll be three at the end of next month and already has quite a collection). If it was only down to me then we'd always end up with American muscle cars, as they look nicest and seem to roll the farthest on the Hot Wheels track, but sometimes Trina lets him choose so anything goes. Anyway, he recently came home with this Matchbox step-van, which I think is about right for HO scale. It doesn't have the scale marked underneath, but looks about right for a small van when compared to other scale models.

The detail isn't brilliant, but at £1.09 it'd be easy to build up a small fleet for an appropriate scene on a layout.

The dimensions are:

Overall length: 76.2mm

Width: 26.2mm

Height: 34.0mm

Wheelbase: 42.0mm

Load area length: 45.6mm

Load area height: 21.0mm

I couldn't find any accurate dimensions or decide exactly which model it was based on, but I'll still have to get myself one to repaint and detail....

post-6819-0-30606300-1329767044_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-00143600-1329767099_thumb.jpg

Andy, Not seen the closed door version before, but If you want an open one I'll do you a swap - mine came from USA, but I'll need to do a dig to confirm what it says on the bottom,

AFAIK there are only 3 in UK so it won't appear at every show! :no:

Edit 0854

Shovel found, digging done. Sizes appear to be the same. Mine has cab doors both sides open - rear door lifts. W/S Wipers vertical each side of central divider in window - a dab of paint on them and the divider would be good

Words on bottom

MATCHBOX Thailand

MB787

Express Delivery TM

©2009 Mattel Inc.

Hi,

Here's a pic of a Matchbox Lincoln Navigator purchased recently very cheaply at ASDA (Walmart). The lettering on the underneath of the chassis is very similar

to the one described by Shortliner.

However, it also shows 1:68, so presumably that is the scale of these models.

post-7898-0-64285000-1329817588_thumb.jpg

regards,

Mal

Mal - the smaller Matchbox/Hot Wheels items aren't designed to one scale but are generally scaled to fit their standard box, so something the size of the the step van should be close to 1/87th scale, the cars will tend to be in the 1/60s - bigger stuff like plant may be 1/100 or so.

A dissassemble plus some detail painting (black round window edges etc) and taking the shine down a couple of notches ought to make both those step vans start to look pretty good.

Matchbox/Hot Wheels (same company nowadays so there seems to be a lot of crossover of tooling) have done some interesting ones over the past few years, I noticed a nice security truck a while back but I could only see it in a multi-pack so didn't get it.

Andy, Not seen the closed door version before, but If you want an open one I'll do you a swap -

I think it's a bit too modern for my era, but I am tempted to model this Frito-Lay step van we saw parked across a spur on Pine St. in Yakima in 2004.

post-6819-0-12144000-1330342042_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention the body is plastic so a bit of surgery would be quite easy, but let me know if you want one Jack and I'll see if there are any left in our local Morrisons.

This week's misguided choice is this Dodge Van:

post-6819-0-66608700-1330341840_thumb.jpg

It's to the usual Hot Wheels dimensions so is probably nearer to 4mm/ft than HO.

• 2 weeks later...

The closed and open door versions that I have differ in that the closed door one has a plastic body and the open one has a die cast metal body. Apart from that the mouldings appear virtually identical.

post-14508-0-82791400-1331451342.jpg

At a guess I'd say that the plastic van has closed doors for additional strength, but I'm probably wrong.

Archived