A couple of days ago I posted the following plea in DCC questions and so far I have had no replies so I was wondering if I would have any better luck here.

I involves what I believe is a decoder problem that is driving me round the bend and I will try and explain what it is and see if anyone can help me solve it.

I have 2 Athearn SD45s both of which were run-in for an hour or so in DC and they both ran well. I then fitted each one with a TCS

T4X decoder and the running was abysmal. I use a Power Cab and on step 1 they run smooth but when I notch up to step 2 there is a noticeable “surge†before settling down again with the same happening with each step increase. This happens whether I increase the speed in single steps or in momentum and in both the 28 and 128 step range. I then changed the decoder for a TC1 and they both ran smooth throughout the range but as soon as I put the T4x back in, the old problem returned. I then swapped the T4X for a T6X that I had in a very smooth running SD40-2 and again the SD45s ran smoothly, and although the SD40-2 was not perfect, it ran a lot better than the 45s had when they were fitted with the T4X!!

I have tried switching the BEMF on and off and it seems to make no difference.

So, anyone got an idea where I can go from here?

Thank you

Willy.

I think its probably best to ditch the T4X decoders and use one of the others.

Remember with the TCS decoders theres the goof proof warranty. You coud send them back for replacements just in case you have two from a dodgy batch.

I have used there warranty before and although it takes a few weeks I got a brand new decoder off them.

All the Best

First off, do a reset on the T4X decoders. Heck, reset them twice just to be sure. If they're still running poorly I'd email support at TCS and see if they have any suggestions or, if you can stand the cost from France, telephone them...they're very good on the phone. There's also a TCS mailing list at Yahoo tcs-decoders@yahoogroups.com ...you'll have to join the list to post questions of course. If no success then yes, return them for exchange.

Thank you both for the prompt reply.

I have reset at least half a dozen times Craig and there is still no improvement so I was begining to despair. I think I will take your suggestion and email TCS support and see what they have to say and if that doesn't help then I will do as you both suggest and return them. I bought them together so they well be from a dodgy batch as Steves says.

Willy

After several exchages with TCS support and several ideas as to different settings for the BEMF they asked me to read the following CV's on all T4X's that have the surging and let them know what the values are:

CV7

CV250

CV251

CV252

I gave them the values and I got an email back straight away saying "Interesting, if you could send them back under warranty I can take a

look at them and repair or reprogram them if necessary".

So, that is the situation and again thank you both for your assistance.

Willy

Sorry I'm late to this thread... very interesting one though as I thought of the BEMF as soon as I started reading it - had to turn it off to get my Athearn loco to run okay with a TCS T1.

I have a couple of T4X's on order at the moment... will keep an eye on this thread in case I get similar trouble....!!

Sorry I'm late to this thread... very interesting one though as I thought of the BEMF as soon as I started reading it - had to turn it off to get my Athearn loco to run okay with a TCS T1.

I have a couple of T4X's on order at the moment... will keep an eye on this thread in case I get similar trouble....!!

I will update with any information I get from TCS.

Willy

I will update with any information I get from TCS.

Willy

Just noticed this, I have an Athearn Genesis MP15 and an GP15 which are both fitted with TCS T4Xs and run as sweet as a nut when partnered with an NCE Powercab.However I also have a second GP15 that runs with an A4X which is nowhere near as good as the T4X. I have already checked that both locos run equally as good in DC mode. Both were 'run in' in accordance with my usual regime, and both have had my now customary 'level 5' exam and modifications before entering laout service (probably complete overkill, but as a habit I ensure all wiring is replaced and properly colour coded; wheelsets are removed, cleaned and b2bs checked; both bogies are disassembled, cleaned and proberly lubricated; all electrical wired connections are permanently soldered). Strange how you can have so much inconsistency in performance in DCC chips from the same manufacturer! I must say though I have used TCS chips for years and have never had any problems with them. Good luck, I hope your problem gets sorted soon.

Cheers

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I received a package from TCS today containing what appears to be 2 new decoders. There was no covering letter of explanation but I have fitted them and the locos run beautifully so I am a happy bunny. After all that it is a pity that these locos will soon be appearing on Marketplace after all that.

Willy

Archived