EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Due to 'The Cuts' the NRM can no longer afford its previous levels of care and maintenance on Evening Star

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TRIANG-SCRAPYARD-EVENING-STAR-LOCO-TENDER-CLASS-9F-92220-WEATHERED-LOOK-/221634131104?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item339a6c74a0

Looks like rising sea levels put the NRM under water for a couple of years.

Isn't that the same seller with the locos overgrown with grass?

• RMweb Gold

Looks like rising sea levels put the NRM under water for a couple of years.

Isn't that the same seller with the locos overgrown with grass?

Ha ha looking at that photo, I keep expecting to see a goldfish swim past.

Neil

• Like 1

Due to 'The Cuts' the NRM can no longer afford its previous levels of care and maintenance on Evening Star

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TRIANG-SCRAPYARD-EVENING-STAR-LOCO-TENDER-CLASS-9F-92220-WEATHERED-LOOK-/221634131104?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item339a6c74a0

Reminds me of the problem I had before I took the chewable probiotics from Holland & Barrett :jester:

You have to wonder how it got to a Canadian or US Scrapyard. . . .

Andy

The description says it's authentic but seeing Evening Star has never been allowed to get into that condition, how can it be?

This one is so rusted it's almost starting to look like a European 0-4-0!!! HAR HAR!!! :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scrapyard-00-GAUGE-GWR-0-6-0-pannier-tank-loco-heavily-rusted-and-weathered-/301441071104?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item462f49b800

So much for descriptions ;)

and some misguided soul paid over twenty quid for it!  :O :no:

Where did I put the orange paint??

Edited by Il Grifone

This one is so rusted it's almost starting to look like a European 0-4-0!!! HAR HAR!!! :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scrapyard-00-GAUGE-GWR-0-6-0-pannier-tank-loco-heavily-rusted-and-weathered-/301441071104?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item462f49b800

"As the items I sell are scraped or abandoned" - scraped from the bottom of a barrel of junk, I guess.

• RMweb Premium

I notice even the brickwork behind the loco is going rusty!!! :scratchhead:

Keith

and some misguided soul paid over twenty quid for it!  :O :no:

Where did I put the orange paint??

I think we all need to invest in some orange paint.

I've just totalled up his ebay sales from these Scrapyard bits alone and he's sold 51 items in the last month totalling £766.35 .

His P&P charges seem to be fair and so not included in that price so taking off his ebay fees at about 10%(not sure if business sellers pay less??) leaves him £689.71.

I'll have to guess at what he pays for his "stock" and paint but as everything is non working I would probably say it wouldn't be more than £5 average per item 51 items x £5 = £255 on stock and paint so he's probably making around £500 profit each month. £6000 extra a year not a bad business if you were house bound or retired and had the time. 

Not bad for some scrap bits and some orange paint and he never has to worry about "its not working" or its damaged as thats how its sold so will maintain his Top Seller status and get a discount on his fees..

So maybe not madness for selling, hes found a market but more madness for those buying as even giving it a go would produce the same if not better results.

Steve

Edited by Steve-e

I think we all need to invest in some orange paint.

I've just totalled up his ebay sales from these Scrapyard bits alone and he's sold 51 items in the last month totalling £766.35 .

His P&P charges seem to be fair and so not included in that price so taking off his ebay fees at about 10%(not sure if business sellers pay less??) leaves him £689.71.

I'll have to guess at what he pays for his "stock" and paint but as everything is non working I would probably say it wouldn't be more than £5 average per item 51 items x £5 = £255 on stock and paint so he's probably making around £500 profit each month. £6000 extra a year not a bad business if you were house bound or retired and had the time. 

Not bad for some scrap bits and some orange paint and he never has to worry about "its not working" or its damaged as thats how its sold so will maintain his Top Seller status and get a discount on his fees..

So maybe not madness for selling, hes found a market but more madness for those buying as even giving it a go would produce the same if not better results.

Steve

I totally agree with you on this Steve -but you have to admit that  he is definitely managing to take the 's' out of 's'crap yard!

Oh most defiantly I'm not approving of what he does, they are certainly not worth the prices paid when you could achieve the same effect yourself for a fraction of the price but people do pay which is the strangest thing I find.

Personally I wouldn't have the balls to sell the stuff in the first place.

Steve

£6000 extra a year not a bad business if you were house bound or retired and had the time. 

Steve

If he is housebound, how does he get to the Post Office to mail said items...

As I've said before, I think it's all harmless fun and there are plenty of people out there who would consider such work beyond them. I'd rather see this happen to second-hand stuff than know it was continually being peddled on the swapmeet circuit for more than it was worth.

Many carriers do offer a collect and deliver service if you were house bound so what a strange thing to pull me up on.

I was saying it would be an ideal business Idea IF you were housebound or retired and wanted to make some money although you would need to take a bit more time to actually research the item and weather it to suit.

So Yes re-cycle old stock but do it sympathetically and with care and you would have a justified business and Yes many people want the items to put in a siding so as proved by this person there is a need but again research and authenticity would improve things. 

As many have said the issue with just taking any old item and painting it orange deceives the buyer and does not do the original justice most of the comments on this thread are from an it just isn't right perspective.

Edited by Steve-e

Just read the blurb on this piece of junk. Does anyone really want a Dublo 4MT chassis fitted with a Tri-ang 3MT body? (Above all at this ridiculous price!). There appear to be loading gauge issues too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-TRI-ANG-LOCOMOTIVE-FOR-THREE-RAIL-RUNNING-/131382358735?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e96ffb2cf

Note the N2 tank in the photo is not included, but is on sale separately with three modern Hornby coaches. (more amusing blurb!). incidentally the Hornby coaches will derail on Dublo pointwork (Been there, done that, didn't bother with the T-shirt!).

Edited by Il Grifone

That's as maybe, but he's selling his efforts.

Presumably the taxman knows about this extra income, or doesn't it count?

Mike.

He's perfectly at liberty to sell, if someone is prepared to buy (caveat emptor).

Yes, the taxman would be interested........

As I understand it, the odd item is OK, but repeated sales should be declared and tax paid. I don't know where the border line comes, but I would assume that hundreds of pounds come into the zone of interest.

In this case, he's registered as a business seller, so he's definitely in the eye of the taxman

Edited by Il Grifone