EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Not everyone is internet savvy?

The buyer was internet savvy enough to find, register with, and bid, on Ebay. I don't see that any greater ability is required to check prices from other retailers with an online presence.

• RMweb Premium

That's nothing. When this pair was previously sold, the winning bid was £22.25. Looks like the winning bidder has removed the numerals he wanted and is now flogging the rest.....!

But the "7" is missing.

That makes them not just RARE but UNIQUE. :O

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The greater madness is that Peter's Spares have it less on their web shop than their e-bay listing!

http://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-digital-diesel.irc?cName=Bachmann-digital-diesel&pg=1

Keith

Peter's Spares is a small local shop and does not have the economies of scale that Hatton’s etc. can achieve in volume wholesale purchases. I am a regular customer of Peter's Spares and do not expect him to match Hatton’s prices, but you do get outstanding customer service, advice etc. not available from online purchases.

Come on chaps. Give the local shops our support not criticism.

Mike Wiltshire

The greater madness is that Peter's Spares have it less on their web shop than their e-bay listing!

http://www.petersspares.com/Bachmann-digital-diesel.irc?cName=Bachmann-digital-diesel&pg=1

Keith

Well I have come across another two with an web shop where the goods are cheaper, and the reason is that there are no ebay/paypal charges when you use their web shop, so the savings is passed onto the customers, and in one case they do say on the ebay shop that they charge more to recover the ebay/paypal charges.  

Well I have come across another two with an web shop where the goods are cheaper, and the reason is that there are no ebay/paypal charges when you use their web shop, so the savings is passed onto the customers, and in one case they do say on the ebay shop that they charge more to recover the ebay/paypal charges.  

I notice that Peter's Spares don't really list spares in their webshop. It's eBay or nowt.

But the "7" is missing.

That makes them not just RARE but UNIQUE. :O

Bernard

It's the gift that keeps on giving....

And why charge more than £18 extra for eBay purchasers?

I have a friend who runs her business on eBay and I can safely say that it's darn expensive being a business seller on eBay. PayPal and eBay fees, plus the cost of having an eBay "Shop".

The £18 difference is most likely how much extra he has to charge to make the same profit after giving a big chunk of the selling price to eBay.

Paint it yellow, now in O gauge. Although I don't think these are the correct prototype:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rivarossi-O-Gauge-Coaches-x-4-Repaints-/161190813705?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2587b8a009

And where have all the chassis' gone? The seller does have an appropriate name though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-GAUGE-Heljan-CLASS-47-LOCO-2-BODIES-/181295553175?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a360e9a97

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a friend who runs her business on eBay and I can safely say that it's darn expensive being a business seller on eBay. PayPal and eBay fees, plus the cost of having an eBay "Shop".

The £18 difference is most likely how much extra he has to charge to make the same profit after giving a big chunk of the selling price to eBay.

They (like many others) probably still rely on the perception "It's on E-bay so it must be cheap" and the punter will buy it.

I only ever look on E-bay after doing a general web search if I want to purchase something.

Many times I have bought cheaper elsewhere.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Paint it yellow, now in O gauge. Although I don't think these are the correct prototype:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rivarossi-O-Gauge-Coaches-x-4-Repaints-/161190813705?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2587b8a009

They don't count - they haven't got Network Rail stickers on......... :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Having a presence on eBay is a very effective way for customers to find your business. Using Peter's Spares as an example. On his About Me page there's full details about his retail shop and a telephone number. No doubt quite a few customers will choose to deal direct and cut out the middle man (eBay). But also looking at his feedback score, quite a few people are obviously quite happy to pay his prices.

Edited by Kev_Lewis

Having a presence on eBay is a very effective way for customers to find your business. Using Peter's Spares as an example. On his About Me page there's full details about his retail shop and a telephone number. No doubt quite a few customers will choose to deal direct and cut out the middle man (eBay). But also looking at his feedback score, quite a few people are obviously quite happy to pay his prices.

I have used his ebay store for something I needed (can't remember what though) It was worth the couple extra quid as I already had an eBay account and I was protected using Paypal. 

Using eBay is just easier sometimes. It is like being at the mall, everything under one roof as it were. 

• RMweb Gold

He's got a Hall that looks set to befall the same fate, but in addition he has this 1930's prototype(?) Blue Pullman set

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Train-Set-1930s-Blue-Pullman-/121248991745?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1c3b00ca01