EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

I am SO glad I don't know, and am unlikely ever to know this terrifying sector of society.

How right you are - this is what happened at one auction last year -

Voice A across the room - 'Who bid that then?' (bid was for an HD 0-6-2T in Southern livery).

Voice B (the bidder) - 'I did'

Voice A - You're not having it, £100'

and they then bid against each other until Voice A secured it for £125 simply in order to stop the other bloke buying it.

At another auction a considerable number of Bassett Lowke 0 gauge  LMS 'Princess' pacifics were lotted in varying condition and some were top notch.  A dealer duly swept them up for quite high prices. As the lots got down to the grottier ones a bloke - who was clearly a modeller type, not a collector - started to bid and every time the dealer simply outbid him.  Then came one in good mechanical nick but atrociously repainted - the modeller clearly had his chance and went for it at about £100 so the dealer started bidding against; determined either not to be outdone, or maybe to teach the dealer a lesson, the modeller just kept on bidding clearly making the dealer rather 'upset'.  In the end the dealer paid c.£1600 for something which wasn't worth much over £100 I would have thought - but he just had to buy every example in the sale to stop other folk getting one and at a rough count I reckon he had spent nearly £12,000 on this locos alone.

Coming full circle to this thread Aat another auction there was a lot of Nu-Cast kits - all in original boxes with tissue wrapping etc and several being GWRish interested me so I thought I'd have  a go.  A dealer duly started bidding against me but as i wasn't interested in all of them I dropped out at £200, someone else had a brief go and the dealer got them for £250 - they all subsequently appeared on EBay and the least he got for any of them was £105 - but he is known for his high BIN prices.  I also know just how much a dealer paid for various Kitmaster kits which appeared on his EBay site at a range of incredible BIN prices.  That is one good entertainment of auctions - I don't buy much but seeing what stuff goes for then watching it (sometimes) appear in this thread can be very amusing.

• Like 3

Lima Class 45

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-Lima-Class-45-Diesel-Loco-BR-Green-D201-VGC-Boxed-/251339305627?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a84fd729b

Check this out - pay close attention to the photo, and wonder at who has bid...

For sale is a I a Hornsby set there is about 4 set there all together and a lot of trains so it is a jot lot of stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-train-sets-Job-Lot-/231052579992?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35cbce9498

Edited by 'CHARD

Lima Class 45

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-Lima-Class-45-Diesel-Loco-BR-Green-D201-VGC-Boxed-/251339305627?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a84fd729b

For sale is a I a Hornsby set there is about 4 set there all together and a lot of trains so it is a jot lot of stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-train-sets-Job-Lot-/231052579992?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35cbce9498

Who on earth bids that sort of amount when all you can see in the bad photo is that there is some track and random other things, which could be in any condition? Weird.

I wonder if that was meant to say "Transformer"....(No, not a Robot that changes into a car, or other vehicle! ;) )

• RMweb Gold

Aha, that's the rare and collectable Woolworths purple glitter box, only produced from March 1997 to January 1998 by special order only, he's a canny buyer that one.

Mike.

Aha, that's the rare and collectable Woolworths purple glitter box, only produced from March 1997 to January 1998 by special order only, he's a canny buyer that one.

Mike.

And the equally rare white underpants lurking in the background :jester:  The red dog bowl - with water - might be rare, though :sarcastichand:

Have a read of this description...Very Rare !!  :no:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-SOUTHERN-RAILWAY-LOCOS-x4-/251337917187?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item3a84e84303#ht_603wt_1170

...and I found these...

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/gregrobinmurray1948/m.html?item=161109239632&pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Railways&hash=item2582dbe750&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I guess cheap rusty models are catching on down under... :nono:

Cheers, Gary.

Edited by gazmanjack

Good morning all

I like Stationmaster's comments above. A while ago I was watching an auction as I had some commission bids posted. There was a person obviously a dealer who bought several groups of kits for high prices. They appeared on Ebay within 48 hours as separate items with high starting prices, and there were bids for only a couple of them. I don't think this dealer knows much about locomotives as since them I have noticed many of his locos inaccurately described. Somebody I know picked up a rare loco which was described as a common one and didn't attract bids.

As for the auction, I won three lots (six locos) for £250 and when I opened the boxes one contained a brand new portescap. That went for the usual high price on Ebay, so I got the two kits in that lot for nothing. I was happy.

Earlswood nob

• Like 3

The only reason that would be rare is because it's so cr@p no-one would buy it!

Well, the SR coaches are described as "Locos" (Could this be a multiple unit....no, the coaches are new and mint, etc...). :no:

They haven't made the DMU and HST rusty!  Diesel favouritism that! (The 0-6-0 shunter doesn't count...they are Honorary Steam Locos! ;) )

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I bought the self same one of these from The Modeller not a month ago, and for half of that. Do people not do their research? I might list mine on there and then buy another! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I bought the self same one of these from The Modeller not a month ago, and for half of that. Do people not do their research? I might list mine on there and then buy another! 

I'll buy it off you !

• Like 1

I'll buy it off you !

I would, but I've just been to check, and The Modeller have sold out! I want to keep mine as I need it to replicate a delightful image as featured in Tony Fairclough's Great Western Steam in Devon - For route learning purposes, a GWR 43XX pilots a Southern T9 on a intermediate passenger service at Cowley Bridge Junction - with a Maunsell Van B slung between the T9 and the three coach Maunsell set. The date? 1947! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The BIN price of £925.00 may be perfectly reasonable, even if you only get two trains not all those shown

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Digital-Set-HL5-Huge-Jadlam-Layout-2-with-two-trains-included/330967533632?_trksid=p2047675.m1986&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17233%26meid%3D1491522277822872301%26pid%3D100013%26prg%3D8045%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D231052579992%26

but what gets me is that the seller has "More than 10 available". And they have other similar Hornby trains sets on offer too. Just who buys them? Shops?