EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

This one has been running for what seems to be years, if he ever sells it I shall be very annoyed as I have thrown about 30 away in better condition and with foam inserts!

Mike.

I think some people have gone a little bit mental when bidding on Hornby's archive stock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/OO-Gauge-/122601/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&LH_Complete=1&_armrs=1&_ssn=hornbyhobbiesltd

I dont see why any of the items differ to any general releases? Fair enough, they may be a couple of years out of production, but 250 notes for a Hornby A4? With no sound? Ow!

Especially seeing the 70 years of Hornby* limited edition, which might be collectable one day is going for 70 quid less at the moment.

*I'll refrain from any comment re the use of 'Hornby', beyond it's 50 years next year!

Edited by Il Grifone

....whilst others were spending someone else's money.....?

which would be all those borrowing money that they could never have expected to be able to pay back (remortgaging and spending on new TVs,holidays,cars...)

Like starting a business, I think there should be some competency test in economics and financial management before anyone should be able to take out a loan or start self-employment.

I think the really silly season has ended on ebay (when the kids sell of their toys to pay for the latest Xbox, whatever. Then you are just left with the traders with strange business models (and a packed stock room/ access to land-fill).

Just occasionally you still get a fight between two who just do not seem to have the same comprehension of value and get carried away by the event rather than realising the item is still available elsewhere. Then the seller who's inner greed just seems to be fed by hapless bidders.

But there also seems to be some pretty honest sellers out there disposing of items simply for what they can get (I bought from a fair few) rather than throwing things away.

I still despise the empty boxes and my suspicion of those who buy them (those that sell them are simply feeding the dubious market) and the apparently increasing number of "parts" sales. (almost always photographed on a wooden table or 60's 'plastic' patterned tablecloth) and probably consist of their latest scrap purchase dismantled, or fret leftovers.

I do wish ebay would listen to my emails and generate a new classification "rubbish" that we could assign some of these items to, and know where to go for entertainment rather than serious purchases.

• RMweb Premium

Yes they are genuine signs, huge billboards, all over cities. The product though is decidedly dodgy, sold in their centres by non-medical staff - need I say more?

• RMweb Premium

which would be all those borrowing money that they could never have expected to be able to pay back (remortgaging and spending on new TVs,holidays,cars...)

I still despise the empty boxes and my suspicion of those who buy them (those that sell them are simply feeding the dubious market) and the apparently increasing number of "parts" sales. (almost always photographed on a wooden table or 60's 'plastic' patterned tablecloth) and probably consist of their latest scrap purchase dismantled, or fret leftovers.

I do wish ebay would listen to my emails and generate a new classification "rubbish" that we could assign some of these items to, and know where to go for entertainment rather than serious purchases.

This particular recession/meltdown was caused mainly by the financial institutions in the US throwing away all the lending criteria that have been developed over years on the basis of a theoretical mathematical model. 'You (theoretically) cannot lose money' and 'these sub prime borrowers are lucrative' are two phrases that attract both honourable banking institutions and sharks alike. Very little of the crisis started here and all those countries who are not fixated by home ownership have already recovered. The US will do what it normally does and pretend that AIG and Enron never actually happened and that collateral damage is to be expected......and ignored.

Boxes have always been useful selling tools. They reduce packaging costs and are purpose made for transit preventing damage in transit. It is a really useful aid to sales if you have the box and is worth several pounds as a result, hence the market in empty boxes.

Remember that one man's poison is another man's meat. There is no better example than E Bay of that maxim.

Another hatchet job but to be fair to the seller he started at 99p + p/p.  I wonder if I should drip feed my 7 onto that auction site?

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=111168499124

I would be put off by this sellers 'terms and conditions'. Sounds a bit of a bleat to me and I am working on the basis that somebody like that will say 'honest' on the end and might well not be.

which would be all those borrowing money that they could never have expected to be able to pay back (remortgaging and spending on new TVs,holidays,cars...)Like starting a business, I think there should be some competency test in economics and financial management before anyone should be able to take out a loan or start self-employment.I think the really silly season has ended on ebay (when the kids sell of their toys to pay for the latest Xbox, whatever. Then you are just left with the traders with strange business models (and a packed stock room/ access to land-fill).Just occasionally you still get a fight between two who just do not seem to have the same comprehension of value and get carried away by the event rather than realising the item is still available elsewhere. Then the seller who's inner greed just seems to be fed by hapless bidders.But there also seems to be some pretty honest sellers out there disposing of items simply for what they can get (I bought from a fair few) rather than throwing things away.I still despise the empty boxes and my suspicion of those who buy them (those that sell them are simply feeding the dubious market) and the apparently increasing number of "parts" sales. (almost always photographed on a wooden table or 60's 'plastic' patterned tablecloth) and probably consist of their latest scrap purchase dismantled, or fret leftovers.I do wish ebay would listen to my emails and generate a new classification "rubbish" that we could assign some of these items to, and know where to go for entertainment rather than serious purchases.

A similar test might be desirable before breeding...

Yes they are genuine signs, huge billboards, all over cities. The product though is decidedly dodgy, sold in their centres by non-medical staff - need I say more?

Seriously? If you've managed to prolong the art of love making through nasal techniques, can you not adapt it to some of your cricketers (mainly batsmen) with regard to prolonging their stay at the crease? :nowinkclear:

<snip>

<snip>

That's a little bit unfair.

When moving, we amassed about 40 empty boxes, the majority for for models that were stolen and a few that were destroyed or accidentally sold without the box (at a discount, when we couldn't originally find said box)

I could have skipped them, but as it is we've made a couple of hundred pounds, recouping some of the losses in the process.

Surely it is good business?  somebody clearly has a need/want for them so what is wrong if two or more people are prepared to bid them up? - though I do admit to being surprised at some of the prices realised (£21.50 for a Heljan 47 box anyone?)

• RMweb Premium

Seriously? If you've managed to prolong the art of love making through nasal techniques, can you not adapt it to some of your cricketers (mainly batsmen) with regard to prolonging their stay at the crease? :nowinkclear:

http://www.amiaustralia.com.au/?q=node/101

They've had an on again/off again battle with authorities, but bounce back with a new series.

http://agencyne.ws/ami-ads-banned-by-ad-watchdog-again/

But the nose isn't where you put the nasal spray, allegedly.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1375569/erectile-nasal-spray-simply-didnt-work/

Some people have too much money & too embarrassed to complain, I suspect.

FWIW

Not 'my cricketers', I'm still officially a POM (41 years), and I get told so on those occasions when Australia win!

Boxes have always been useful selling tools. They reduce packaging costs and are purpose made for transit preventing damage in transit. It is a really useful aid to sales if you have the box and is worth several pounds as a result, hence the market in empty boxes.

You will note, if read, that I didn't object to, or question the motives of the seller. Heck if I had a loft full of empty boxes (or even full boxes) I would be there with the rest selling what to me has always simply been packaging to dispose of asap.

To me, the fact that someone is prepared to pay good money to inflate the appearance/quality/price of a used item just seems dubious at the least. They also often seem to be sold without the moulded inserts, anyway bubble wrap is pretty cheap along with a recycled box from Azda, etc. If I buy something in the manufacturer's box I expect it to be complete AND new (Mint and only exposed for the camera). In fact with a kit I'd rather they didn't open it even to take a photo as all too often parts get disturbed, etches bent and fingered and delicate castings broken. Stunning how many complete DJH kits arrive without wheels when they were originally sold with them!

Edited by Kenton

• RMweb Premium

An example in good condition complete with the headlamp which has usually been broken off, so it's not overly expensive, when you consider what inflation has done to the 57/6d. (It's value as a model is a different argument of course...)