EBay madness

Marcyg

OK

Own up. Which of you is now in selling mode after hoovering up all of WHSmith's stock? :jester:

You may be closer to the truth than you think!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-BR-MAUNSELL-CORRIDOR-BRAKE-COACH-REPAINT-EX-UB-/130991158760?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7fae75e8

"has been tastefully repainted to the dark green late-crest livery of British Railways" apparently using a pastry brush.

I take it he was using a LOT of thinners..... Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-00-BR-MAUNSELL-CORRIDOR-BRAKE-COACH-REPAINT-EX-UB-/130991158760?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e7fae75e8

"has been tastefully repainted to the dark green late-crest livery of British Railways" apparently using a pastry brush.

If that's tastefully I'd hate to see his tasteless version. :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rivet alert:  BR '3' should have a straight edge to the top and not round (am sure there are proper calligraphy terms but I don't know them)

To be fair he just says he's been collecting for years, not necessarily these, and possibly he got them first time round (at £2.99). In any case his start price is less than cost (ignoring the track, which is pretty worthless IMHO). The only thing I would contest is their compatibility with Hornby - the Hachette windows are the right size and in the right place.

I've just noticed that they've been valued more than a pair of Lima mark Is

Yes, the seller must have had some collection before the Partwotrk arrived....

the Tri-ang TT that is also listed hasn't been easily available for some time.....

And some of the N Gauge stuff is also getting on a bit....

Edited by Sarahagain

Rivet alert:  BR '3' should have a straight edge to the top and not round (am sure there are proper calligraphy terms but I don't know them)

***Pedant Alert***

I thought BR didn't actually label the Third Class compartments at all....Only First Class had the class numbers on the doors.

Also, by the time (Post 1956) that the Southern Region was painting coaches green again, with the coaching stock roundel (Also from 1956...) Third Class was gone....replaced by Second Class.

(Sorry, but I couldn't stop myself! ;) )

• RMweb Premium

From the looks of the pictures of BR ex Southern stock in my books that paint job ain't far off. ;)

Sasquatch. Eating a pastry as I type. (Glazed peach scone, in case you were wondering)

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

It is possible to have a new unused item that has been taken out of its box and the box is no longer available. In that situation it would only be honest to point out that there is no box as that situation does not fit E bay's definition of "new". Also it would not be correct to say the model was "used" if it had not been.

yeah, right

This implies an element of disbelief.  I can't comment on whether the seller is telling the truth, but in the absence of any evidence I would not say otherwise.

• RMweb Gold

It is possible to have a new unused item that has been taken out of its box and the box is no longer available. In that situation it would only be honest to point out that there is no box as that situation does not fit E bay's definition of "new". Also it would not be correct to say the model was "used" if it had not been.

This implies an element of disbelief.  I can't comment on whether the seller is telling the truth, but in the absence of any evidence I would not say otherwise.

I was looking at the accumulation of dirt/dust/gunge (call it what you will) on the roof.  My interpretation of the photo as a buyer would be that it had been in open storage for quite some time and thus really should be described as used.

After all, plenty of sellers say something like "I've listed this as used because <insert reason here> but it's in 'as new' condition.

There was a jamieson hand cut Brass/nickel kit for the Decapod.The last ones were sold through Ray Rippon Model Shop in the 1970's

Mike Wiltshire

Jamieson Kit?

More like an aid to Scratchbuilding in my opinion. (Perhaps a kit in its day).

Nothing wrong with that as I have a Jumbo one which will hopefully bring up the DJH one to a more reasonable standard.

Edited by andytrains

After all, plenty of sellers say something like "I've listed this as used because <insert reason here> but it's in 'as new' condition.

I notice the seller of the dirty-roof carriage is in Margate .. could have been part of a long abandoned layout project, built slowly, to the tune of Johnny Cash.. 

"I built it one piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime"   :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold

It was on my watch list as anything 'Franco Crosti' always interests me! I would've been prepared to go to around £40 ...... the cast tender was quite desirable but........!

Does anybody have any views on the quality of 'Crownline' castings? I do have a side chimney casting (from I know not who) which is almost unusable. Scratchbuilding (or a quality brass lost wax casting, if there was one ) will have to be the best option.

Edited by Re6/6