EBay madness

Marcyg

The armour wasn't that much use against the 20mm AP shells that German fighters were using though.

24496.jpg.fb3562e7f2e402680bc1a0e2d4fd6d67.jpg

It took us a while to catch up and it wasn't until around 1941 that Spitfires were armed with Hispano Suiza type cannon instead of the Brownings that fired regular.303 bullets.

It says something for the skill and tenacity of RAF pilots (and the mistakes made by Luftwaffe high command) that we managed to stave off the raids in the battle of Britain.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

Fantastic model of that pinnacle of British engineering, the Advanced Pinewood Train.  Hornby know how to pick a winner...

Screenshot (218).png

Pinewood?  Could be a stop-motion drama...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, John M Upton said:

"Unopened and unused" apparently yet clearly shown to have been opened and "tested"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186625353610?

1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Porkies??

In their mind opening and testing is clearly different to opening and using.  Its the same sort of mindset that allows someone to get roaring drunk then drive a motor vehicle.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Interesting one I've had this week.

Prompted by being on a list on a Society website, I went to view a railway VHS tape. Opening bid of £5, (ie what the seller put on). Also the chance to submit an offer, which I did. I offered £3 (if you don't ask you don't get and I was prepared to haggle). Ebay tooK this and sent it to the seller. But even before I got that message come to me, the auction price was changed to £10 !. This wasn't a 2nd bid btw.

So I sat waiting for a response from the seller, which came a day later at £15. Far too high for me so I left it. Then 2 days later that offer expired; I got the usual ebay reminder so I checked again. 0 bids so far, still £10, due in a few hours. I thought about it, and in the last few seconds bid  £10.05p, and won it at £10. Ah well, I was reasonably happy about that, I thought; got all the usual ebay messages about paying (which I did straight away), payment accepted, etc. An hour later another message "your order is cancelled." .I think it was from the seller, saying it was a bit strange to offer £3, then bid £10 and win. Pressed the reply button which went back to ebay, but wouldn't let me reply. Looked like AI, going on about my tactics being suspicious and saying I was a bot.

I gave up at that.

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

My son was shocked at this. He started it at £99.99. Full lighting and sound. He was hoping for the mid £200s. Still 3 days to go.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 10/07/2024 at 00:29, The Johnster said:

I have a small collection of useless stones, some interesting geological specimens (bet you haven’t got a piece of Lundyite) and some just because they look nice.  They either sit artisticalky placed on shelves or decorate my fish tank.  Each has a little story that only I know attached to it.  

That's perfectly OK - I make a point of bringing a little bit of rock back from places I visit to add to bottom of the fish tank - trying to ensure that I'm not going to accidentally create sulphuric acid* in the process.

Yonks ago, ISTR seeing a news item about a woman who was in trouble because her rock "fetish" extended to chipping off bits of Stonehenge, the Colliseum, the Acropolis, etc, etc ...........................................

* other equally corrosive acids are available

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, JZ said:

My son was shocked at this. He started it at £99.99. Full lighting and sound. He was hoping for the mid £200s. Still 3 days to go.

That's truly impressive*

I hope for the seller's sake that once the bidding frenzy ends (Think seagulls on acid.) and the dust settles, the winning bidder actually pays up.

*Totally insane.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That's truly impressive*

I hope for the seller's sake that once the bidding frenzy ends (Think seagulls on acid.) and the dust settles, the winning bidder actually pays up.

*Totally insane.

He's checking on the bidders records later. If he get s it, I hope he's taking the family out for Sunday lunch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JZ said:

He's checking on the bidders records later. If he get s it, I hope he's taking the family out for Sunday lunch.

I hope he does, it's nice to have an unexpected windfall, especially from our hobby items which often just break even.

Don't let him cheap out with one of those carvery pub chains either! 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't let him cheap out with one of those carvery pub chains either! 😉

Bell at Buckland Dinham. Superb Sunday lunch. We've been there a few times.

• Like 3