EBay madness

Marcyg

48 minutes ago, Peterem said:

I just wish he'd brushed down his worktop before taking the pictures - unless he's got a sideline in static grass and ground cover...

Or he's one of those 'nose hair' scrapyard guys??

• Funny 3

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Or he's one of those 'nose hair' scrapyard guys??

My day was going quite well until you reminded me of that…

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

"Tested & runs well" - Now, this I'd like to see! 😎

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

The quartering appears to be out.....

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I think it's called halfing?

Mike.

Taking it carefully...

As the drive is to the rear axle, it probably runs, after a fashion...

Looks like its been hung, drawn and quartered!

That could be hobbit-forming...

And at that price, I think I'd be looking for a Heljan 47xx instead!

Interesting to see it has an HD/Peco Simplex coupling on the tender.  It must be yay old...

Edited by Hroth
I pressed the wrong button
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

An "ex runner"? 🤔

And I don't think those R1 locos are particularly scarce...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

An "ex runner"? 🤔

And I don't think those R1 locos are particularly scarce...

I bought one last year to revisit an old school Model Railway Constructor project.

Original condition with a few dings in the footplate but an excellent runner once oiled properly - £22.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I bought on a few years ago to replace the motor of the one in the HD 2007 passenger set which probably needs remagnetising.  Actually, I just swapped the bodies, so now I have a green one which works well, and a black one that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding...

Edited by Hroth
digital tippex
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not eBay Madness as such, but definitely madness of some description…

From the Bargain Hunters 2 thread, I got directed to the latest TMC sale, and one item caught my eye for all the wrong reasons…

DJMOOJ94-003 DJ Models OO Gauge Class J94 8064 LNER Black Original Bunker Scrap Weathered by TMC (Version 4)(Non runner)

£89.99 
Regular Price £249.95

1 AVAILABLE

In Stock

No, not advertised on eBay but I am nominating TMC for this month’s Mendacious Chiseller Award…

Firstly, “regular price” of £249.95?!!

I did a double take at that, then re-checked that I wasn’t looking at an O gauge loco by accident…

No, it’s a bl@@dy DJM OO gauge J94!!

Hang on, it’s been weathered by TMC, perhaps that is what has pushed its value so high?

WTAF?! What is that in brackets in the description? “Non runner”?!

So, apparently TMC believe that they can price a (typically) non-running DJM loco at £250 because they slapped some weathering on it?!

Meanwhile, they want to sell it for £90 in their “sale” … for a non-runner. Just to say that again, for a NON-RUNNER!

Rails of Sheffield were selling the new EFE J94 at that price point very recently, in fact slightly less than that, which of course uses the DJM body shell on a massively improved Bachmann chassis that actually works

I shouldn’t be ranting about the above here as it’s not for sale on eBay, but the denizens of this thread have a shared loathing of Mendacious Chisellers and for once I ask that we bend the rules slightly and agree that TMC would appear to be MCs of the highest order in this particular instance?!

Or is it just me?! 

Steve S

• Like 6

I've definitely previously thought that at least some of TMC's pricing is, shall we say, optimistic. Especially for their "weathered" stuff, which I generally don't think looks that great.

• Agree 4

In my opinion the trouble is that eBay trades as both a sales platform and an auction site, coupled to this it is used by both professional sellers/businesses and private sellers

Unless I have an immediate need for an item, I steer away from buy it now. Usually the items I am interested in are put up for auction and as its an auction I am looking for a good price

Buy it now usually means you are paying retail price and or setting a high price so later it can be reduced stating its reduced if no one bites at the first price

In all auctions its buyer beware !!!  eBay somewhat uniquely attaches some limited forms of guarantees.

On the other hand these is risk and reward, something I am happy to accept. But beware not every time is it reward. This is where skill and or luck comes into play

As for a DJH kit built loco, if it looks to be a tidily built loco, I doubt if there is much of an issue in getting it running (I rather rebuild a decent kit than a modern ready to run loco) £89 is not a bad price given the cost of complete kits. £89 would just about pay for the wheels and motor & gears !! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

“Ex” being short for “excellent”?

But I chose to read it as being similar to an ex parrot (lovely plumage)... 🙂

Also, they might move excellently light engine, but will grind to a halt with a couple of coaches!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Also, they might move excellently light engine, but will grind to a halt with a couple of coaches!

I dunno, my two R1s (one HD, one Wrenn) + the one I converted to Thomas for my brother (HD) all run rather nicely, even with my Triang 9” carriages with the stiff plastic bearings that are probably well overdue for a service!

• Like 1

Bet you were all wondering what might be found in those newly-spotted lunar pits on the moon:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce784r9njz0o

And a well-known online auction site had the answer all along!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126593527574?

Plus with that knitted backscene clearly made from Blue String Soup, compelling evidence proof that The Clangers really did colonise the Moon before emigrating to the NMTFT in Bradford.  Bonus!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, 40152 said:

Bet you were all wondering what might be found in those newly-spotted lunar pits on the moon:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce784r9njz0o

And a well-known online auction site had the answer all along!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126593527574?

Plus with that knitted backscene clearly made from Blue String Soup, compelling evidence proof that The Clangers really did colonise the Moon before emigrating to the NMTFT in Bradford.  Bonus!

Who recalls a time when we were driven into a frenzy of excitement over 'Chicken and Chips in a basket'!?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Who recalls a time when we were driven into a frenzy of excitement over 'Chicken and Chips in a basket'!?

Some of us still are…

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3