EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Seeing as we've drifted off, my main gripe is (and I hope someone is listening- but I doubt it) why can't manufactures produce vehicles with a decent Retro style....

It wouldn't be impossible to build new Retro style vans without costing more than a country's GDP ...

Its been done with the Fiat 500,  the Chrysler P2 Cruiser (please Mrs B can we buy one) 

A small van along the lines of a Morris Minor, or Bedford HA or CA...

At least it might be better built than my Citroën Dispatch... (rubbish leg room poor build quality)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Misread as: "... meaty condition!" 😎

I don't think Dinky did a butchers van version.  If you could find a sheap cheap playworn one, it could be reliveried as a Dewhurst van...

Edited by Hroth
sheap? SHEAP??? I dunno...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Posted 6 hours ago

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've got one of those, but in a more minty condition! However its minus its all important box in good condition...

There's a whole gamut of play wear / minor chips / near mint / very near mint until you hit MIB condition and silly money.

Way back when I had hair on my head and a slim trim waistline I used to buy R&B and blues records from  a chap called Sailor Vernon. He advertised in the (I think) Melody Maker. You sent him a postal order for a few bob and by return he would send you a printed availability list of fab records, mostly USA imports. You made your selection, sent him another PO, and a week or so later you received your vinyl.

He graded the records Mint etc etc but he had a special category for the badly damaged records POBAC  (Previously owned by a cretin) Made me laugh out loud every time I read it. 

Regards, Rich

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Copies of the Sun/Star...

At the risk of being slightly more cynical than usual, we're not talking about your working class slightly right wing rusty Transit LDV or Renault Trafic driver here.

Anyone flogging vegan flatbreads for £9 a go or ethically sourced hot chocolate for a fiver out of the back of a sixty grand retro van is going to have The Guardian App on the dashboard screen....

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Posted 6 hours ago

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've got one of those, but in a more minty condition! However its minus its all important box in good condition...

There's a whole gamut of play wear / minor chips / near mint / very near mint until you hit MIB condition and silly money.

Way back when I had hair on my head and a slim trim waistline I used to buy R&B and blues records from  a chap called Sailor Vernon. He advertised in the (I think) Melody Maker. You sent him a postal order for a few bob and by return he would send you a printed availability list of fab records, mostly USA imports. You made your selection, sent him another PO, and a week or so later you received your vinyl.

He graded the records Mint etc etc but he had a special category for the badly damaged records POBAC  (Previously owned by a cretin) Made me laugh out loud every time I read it. 

Regards, Rich

May I suggest that 'POBAC' joins the 'ebay madness' thread lexicon?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

May I suggest that 'POBAC' joins the 'ebay madness' thread lexicon?

An excellent suggestion. May the memory of my late mate ''Sailor Vernon'' live on in this thread . May Gawd Bless Im for the joy he sold me in me youth

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Swill-Testament-Hilarious-Unexpurgated/dp/0954706846

Thank you Paul.

Regards and Best. Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334824557411?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=y46nE-HvTti&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=AWm0wiuHSXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

With Trout's at similar prices it would seem that ballast hoppers are the new bitcoin!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, RFS said:

For some inexplixable reason, this is described as brand-new! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185826659159

Yet another mandacious chiseller. He has broken down a number of perfectly good models to sell for parts at inflated prices. If you add the prices for all the bits of this model he has for sale (including the box) it comes to £124.80. You can buy a whole model for far less. And that will include the electrical DCC gubbings that's missing from his.

I assume that the broken con rods etc. are as a result of his rush to dismantle the thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, John Mat said:

Yet another mandacious chiseller. He has broken down a number of perfectly good models to sell for parts at inflated prices. If you add the prices for all the bits of this model he has for sale (including the box) it comes to £124.80. You can buy a whole model for far less. And that will include the electrical DCC gubbings that's missing from his.

I assume that the broken con rods etc. are as a result of his rush to dismantle the thing.

Looking at his negative feedback he may have unintentionally killed his customer's father. Could be the pressure cooker he's got for sale😉

Edited by Sjcm
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, John Mat said:

Sadly, looking at his sold items it appears quite a profitable business. Seems to sell a lot of boxes at £14.95 each as well ....

Edited by RFS
  • Like 2

As a frequent user of the said auction site I have to admit I have bought several loco's that have been kit built to the highest standards & are an absolute joy to run & look at.  One is the Premier kit of the GWR 4-6-0 County with top quality Mashima motor & is a silent runner, cost £185, but so superior to anything from  the main manufacturers that it seems an absolute bargain, another is a 94xx with compensated chassis & Mashima motor, another near silent runner cost £150. I have bought several propriety loco's such as a Waterman special Castle, the latest version, "Earl Cairns" the box had never been opened so was brand new for £72. A latest version of the Jubilee for the same money. So there are occasionally some really good buys to be had but you have to be careful not to get carried away & study feedback & of course never touch anything that hasn't been photographed  well & we all look at the Gostude stuff when we want a good laugh as most of it has been there for years.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"Sold as seen, all the running gear has fallen off, all there I think but how you fix it all back is beyond me. Not test run , (obviously), so hopefully motor OK. Priced accordingly "

Or not. 

Perhaps he chopped it off with his mendacious chisel?

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Cokebreeze said:

You could always eat it if it didn't run so well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225526898849

Capture.JPG

It's a Proto 2000, trust me it won't run well.  Notorious for cracked gears almost universally so the cheesecake (available from various sources) would be a better bet.

• Funny 4