EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

otherwise it would become a tip like the railway Bench of Bodge, that one used to be one of those 70s pine breakfast bars.

My "Bodge Bench" was once a worktable in a 1930s bespoke dressmakers workroom. The top is covered in pinwheel marks, so I slightly sanded it down, then flooded the top with yacht varnish, to preserve the indentations and have a smooth working surface.

Like yours, its still a tip...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Here begineth the deluge of Christmas tat.

Even my other half, who was a huge Potter fan, knows what the loco really was and prefers it in green.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

My "Bodge Bench" was once a worktable in a 1930s bespoke dressmakers workroom. The top is covered in pinwheel marks, so I slightly sanded it down, then flooded the top with yacht varnish, to preserve the indentations and have a smooth working surface.

Like yours, its still a tip...

Oddly enough, I found mine when we went to collect a 1930s Deco shop counter from a domestic garage that had been used as a workshop. I was asked if I'd take the table for firewood as the owners late husband was a graphic artist and had used the table for screen printing. I sanded the ink off, varnished it  fitted a shelf underneath and then covered it in junk. I work on about a twelve inch square front and centre f it!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I was also looking at the position of the wheels. Biiiiiig overhang at one end, none at the other. Ratio body wedged over a Hornby Palethorpes van chassis maybe?

I would hazard a guess that its a cut-back Triang clerestory, with a Ratio 4w coach end, sat on a Palethorpes chassis?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not at all railway, something that popped up in the "you may also like" that was so bizarre I had to share it.

Almost makes smoking worthwhile...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394277559990?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=p_DWuhWtQIa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

'Smoko' at RoS!?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Our friend Go$turd never fails to provide fodder for this thread …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363124243397?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

In his description, he shouts (using caps lock) -

VERY GOOD USED

I dread seeing something he thinks might be in POOR condition! (Mind you, in his opinion none of his listings are anything other than VERY GOOD or EXCELLENT in their condition, and are usually KIT BUILT and RARE too)

HOURS OF FUN!

I always thought Plymouth was a Westcountry not a Merchant Navy... and besides it now looks like a Q1 hiding under there... 

Perhaps the Warn box carries a government health warning

At least it isn't suffering from the dreaded paint shrinkage warping the body

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Our friend Go$turd never fails to provide fodder for this thread …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363124243397?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dUl0TI1oQ1m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

In his description, he shouts (using caps lock) -

VERY GOOD USED

I dread seeing something he thinks might be in POOR condition! (Mind you, in his opinion none of his listings are anything other than VERY GOOD or EXCELLENT in their condition, and are usually KIT BUILT and RARE too)

HOURS OF FUN!

I would have thought with looking at that, there should there really be a decimal point between the £1 and 49?

Edited by Guest

54 minutes ago, John Besley said:

BTW am I the only one who finds the Diggitrains scrolling advert not only annoying but now messing up the way notifications load...

Driving me up the wall 

Agreed, because if you're using a mobile (like a caveman!!) You click on the menu bar and the Digitrains advert comes up over it. There's just enough room to click the notification icon and when that comes up, the banner covers the new topics. Luckily theres enough room to click view all and go to that page. 

It's tedious so I've never even bothered reading the content of the ad or turning up the sound.

Sorry, didn't read your post properly, advertising in the way.

PS You can ditch it by clicking the top right corner of the image and an X comes up, click that and it goes away from the topic until you change topic.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Agreed, because if you're using a mobile (like a caveman!!) You click on the menu bar and the Digitrains advert comes up over it. There's just enough room to click the notification icon and when that comes up, the banner covers the new topics. Luckily theres enough room to click view all and go to that page. 

It's tedious so I've never even bothered reading the content of the ad or turning up the sound.

Sorry, didn't read your post properly, advertising in the way.

PS You can ditch it by clicking the top right corner of the image and an X comes up, click that and it goes away from the topic until you change topic.

We are expected 'not to mind' them?

• Friendly/supportive 1

I don't mind advertising at all, as much as is necessary to keep the site funded. But when a banner follows as you scroll down the page or worse, centres over the pages navigation system, then its just plain clickbait.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Judging by the photo, this Hornby 37 has evidently decided to end it all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255830431653?hash=item3b90ae97a5:g:GlMAAOSwIe1jdKvw

Looks like the photo was taken with the loco resting on the bannister at the top of the stairs, an odd place to perch it for a product shot!

Don't think much of their choice of carpet, perhaps they're selling the loco to get some better stuff....

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266003652041?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=5f039bf841bf455693b3f5410a71d855&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20221123012535&segname=11021

This includes a product description which is a straight lift from the manufacturer's website.  It is also described as "new". Does this therefore contravene Breach of Copyright under Fair Dealing?

"does using the work affect the market for the original work? If a use of a work acts as a substitute for it, causing the owner to lose revenue, then it is not likely to be fair".

While this may seem rather pedantic, I object to any retailer making a profit by using someone else's marketing efforts to undercut them.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

19 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

All their other stuff is similarly photographed - sideways on.

My first thought looking at the carpet and top of the stairs photos is they are emptying an elderly relatives house and they have found it all in the attic and photographed it on its way down

1 minute ago, ianmacc said:

20 notes though not surprised it sold. Big market still for those old stagers. 

soon to be found up for sale for £70 in rocket railways shop 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

From the same seller as the class 37 which went for a bargain twenty pounds.  Prices are all over the place.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255842398687?hash=item3b916531df:g:EKwAAOSw-7djdKzW

Reminds me of our local antique shop which currently has a lovely window display of 00 trains.   Some current Hornby coaches, including Pullmans with working table lamps all for 29 pounds each, yet he is asking 175 pounds for a Lima class 50 in Network South East livery.

• Like 1