EBay madness

Marcyg

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I see that the chassis has Magnadhesion too, so its pre mid 70s when Hornby went over to nickel-silver track, which makes it pretty elderly...

And remember the Hornby LMS 2P which had a 'chuffing' mechanism in the tender? Comprised a strip of sandpaper rotated by a tender axle that made a scraping/chuffing noise! Those were the days!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And remember the Hornby LMS 2P which had a 'chuffing' mechanism in the tender? Comprised a strip of sandpaper rotated by a tender axle that made a scraping/chuffing noise! Those were the days!

Now we have expensive sound decoders that produce the same scraping noise from certain suppliers.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

45 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I had the B12 with one of those ‘sound units’ fitted way back when. Thought it was the dogs’ wotsits when I got it. Own your very own:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313980619002?epid=941286051&hash=item491ab408fa%3Ag%3Ak1YAAOSw7ltib-jH&LH_BO=1

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, 40152 said:

I had the B12 with one of those ‘sound units’ fitted way back when. Thought it was the dogs’ wotsits when I got it. Own your very own:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313980619002?epid=941286051&hash=item491ab408fa%3Ag%3Ak1YAAOSw7ltib-jH&LH_BO=1

On second thoughts, it might have been a B12!  It all seems such a long time ago!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Now we have expensive sound decoders that produce the same scraping noise from certain suppliers.

1 hour ago, 40152 said:

37 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

On second thoughts, it might have been a B12!  It all seems such a long time ago!

The B12 had a chuffing tender, so did Albert Hall*.  Once you got bored of sandpaper chuffs, it was easy enough to slide the cam across the axle to defeat it.  The sound effects you could make yourself were more satisfying!

* There may have been another one, but I had a B12 and a Hall** so I know they had 'em!

** A very eclectic layout...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The B12 had a chuffing tender, so did Albert Hall*.  Once you got bored of sandpaper chuffs, it was easy enough to slide the cam across the axle to defeat it.  The sound effects you could make yourself were more satisfying!

* There may have been another one, but I had a B12 and a Hall** so I know they had 'em!

** A very eclectic layout...

I remain a self-chuffer to this day - but only in private! 😎

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 33C said:

Flying Scotsman had one! And, glowing firebox...

Oh yes, the first "glowing firebox" era!

Must admit, I do have one of those Flying Scotsmen but it rarely emerges from storage, that's my excuse for not remembering it. The M7 of that time also had a glowing firebox, PLUS you could open the smokebox door to see the boiler tubes!

Another loco of that era, Duchess of Sutherland*, had illuminated express lamps, very dull and very flakey...

* You could also get the Duke of that Ilk too, though that didn't have any special effects...

Edited by Hroth
More, more!!!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Must admit, I do have one of those Flying Scotsmen but it rarely emerges from storage, that's my excuse for not remembering it. The M7 of that time also had a glowing firebox, PLUS you could open the smokebox door to see the boiler tubes!

Another loco of that era, Duchess of Sutherland*, had illuminated express lamps, very dull and very flakey...

* You could also get the Duke of that Ilk too, though that didn't have any special effects...

"PLUS you could open the smokebox door to see the boiler tubes!" - One could get away with all manner of smut back in the 1970s!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Synchrosmoke! Magnadhesion! Glowing firebox! Frontal lights! Chuff-Chuff sound! Wet Trousers!

• Funny 11

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

I see that the chassis has Magnadhesion too, so its pre mid 70s when Hornby went over to nickel-silver track, which makes it pretty elderly...

The "Front Wheel Drive" chassis is a late 1970s design, from Mid 1978.

The intention was to leave the cab clear of motor, unlike the original "Jinty" chassis.

Screenshot_20220623-230521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f36b1164068397b6dadbfe0260a3fa73.jpg

Unfortunately, the front axle worm gear wheel tended to depress uncoupling ramps, making it harder to uncouple from that end.

This led to the development of the Super Strong Pulling Power, or SSPP, chassis, with the new (type 7?) motor driving the centre axle.

The FWD chassis was used on the earlier new tooling "Jinty", and the LBSCR E2 (before the tooling was modified into Thomas!)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

The exhaust Steam Sound boxes were not fitted to the Horrnby Railways 2P (Modified from the SR L1 4-4-0) tender, which was the R.33 tender originally designed to go with the R.251 Deeley 0-6-0 loco...

The Hall, (including Lord Westwood), B12, Flying Scotsman, Britannia (I think), Princess Elizabeth (and the last of the Princess Victoria models in 1974), the 1542 version of the Transcontinental Pacific, using a Flying Scotsman non corridor tender, all had the sound box tenders.

The last available being the China made B12 models from the original Margate tooling. (No, not the Super Detail recently released B12!)

The Duchess of Sutherland, for some reason didn't carry class a, or class 1, express passenger (etc.) Headlamps.

That's one over each buffer.

The Horrnby Railways model has the lamps over the LH buffer, and on the centre lamp iron.

That's a Parcels or Perishables train, consisting of coaching stock...

Screenshot_20220623-232654_Chrome.jpg.f88e25808f4a7a31f97ecd5aa59f49b7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Well they do say they take a genuine recording from a prototype. They just neglect to say that the prototype is a 1970s Hornby loco...

I have the Flying Scotsman with the self chuff. it lives in a display cabinet as it's one of my keepsakes that used to be my Grandad's :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, rab said:

Sorry to be a spoil sport but I queried the price with the seller and they acknowledged their error 

As a sequel, I had an email this morning from eBay

advising me of a price reduction of £4252 on this item. :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

The "Front Wheel Drive" chassis is a late 1970s design, from Mid 1978.

The intention was to leave the cab clear of motor, unlike the original "Jinty" chassis.

Screenshot_20220623-230521_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f36b1164068397b6dadbfe0260a3fa73.jpg

Unfortunately, the front axle worm gear wheel tended to depress uncoupling ramps, making it harder to uncouple from that end.

This led to the development of the Super Strong Pulling Power, or SSPP, chassis, with the new (type 7?) motor driving the centre axle.

The FWD chassis was used on the earlier new tooling "Jinty", and the LBSCR E2 (before the tooling was modified into Thomas!)

I suppose the reasoning for perpetuating Magnadhesion was that they had to accommodate legacy layouts using Super4 and early System6 steel track.

As for the Duchess, mine in deep storage so I didn't remember the actual headcode. Parcels or Perishables eh? A bit of a comedown from express passenger duties, especially in LMS livery!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 18/06/2022 at 17:22, Paul H Vigor said:

I'm SO GLAD i'm a 'normal person'! 🥸

On 18/06/2022 at 17:35, Hroth said:

Are you sure???

Hehehe....

On 19/06/2022 at 23:41, newbryford said:

There are two types of people.

Those that are normal, and those that think they are..............................

😀

On 20/06/2022 at 02:07, 33C said:

What is "Normal"? 🤔

I know this is going back nearly a week, but it's been niggling at me  since then, mainly because I couldn't remember what it was called...

Never mind, it's finally clicked!

And the answer is:  We are!!!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

"Price reduced by £4,252.05

Buy it now for £42.95 Hornby LMS JINTY/J52/J83/27XX CLASS LOCO CHASSIS ONLY - No.1

Since you last browsed, Hornby LMS JINTY… is reduced to £42.95

Hornby LMS JINTY/J52/J83/27XX CLASS LOCO CHASSIS ONLY - No.1

£42.95

For a limited time

Only 1 left at this reduced price.

View item"

• Like 4