EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Gostude sale of optimism strikes again........another of them well known Lima GUV "kits" that has been built to the highest quality, he has so much neck on him he has even left the £10.00 hand written price sticker on the box, probably just to keep the box pristine.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d050cfa95

Free postage though. :jester: The blokes a dreamer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope this isn't too far off topic but would be interested in what other readers think. I'm Secretary of a charity that funds tram restoration by publishing and selling quality books about the history of road transport in Leeds. this is done entirely at our own expense and risk and I do the distribution. We recently published a book and it has turned up for sale on Ebay at approximately double the cover price listed by an outfit called RoxyMedia. They claim to have 10 copies of all our 8 items, which even at wholesale rates would ahve cost them well over £1K and I would have been aware of the transaction as I would have had to package and post them.

From research on the web it would appear that it is a form of scam in that they don't have any stock but list items at grossly inflated prices then when anyone is foolish enough to place an order they obtain the book/record/cd etc from Amazon or some other source and post it on.There appear to be some other similar schemes in the USA. I've reported the items to Ebay as suspicious but got no response. Has anyone else come across this firm?

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

Has anyone else come across this firm?

No, but I do not think they are doing anything illegal. This would be especially true if they are simply buying from you and reselling at a higher price. There asking price is merely an "offer to treat" no one is forcing a customer to pay that price (or indeed not to buy elsewhere Amazon or direct). The only thing that matters is that the item is genuine and not a copy/fake. As far as I can see you still get the price that you are offering it at on every sale, no matter who the end customer is. If the items are second hand then again there is nothing wrong with that either, people do not have to pay the inflated prices we often see on here, they really do have a choice. If an item is genuinely hard to get/rare then it is a market and the buyer(s) compete to obtain the item for their "collection". If the item can be obtained cheaper elsewhere then the buyer is simply foolhardy for poor research or choosing to pay over the odds for the convenience or "fun" of the auction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No, but I do not think they are doing anything illegal. This would be especially true if they are simply buying from you and reselling at a higher price. There asking price is merely an "offer to treat" no one is forcing a customer to pay that price (or indeed not to buy elsewhere Amazon or direct). The only thing that matters is that the item is genuine and not a copy/fake. As far as I can see you still get the price that you are offering it at on every sale, no matter who the end customer is. If the items are second hand then again there is nothing wrong with that either, people do not have to pay the inflated prices we often see on here, they really do have a choice. If an item is genuinely hard to get/rare then it is a market and the buyer(s) compete to obtain the item for their "collection". If the item can be obtained cheaper elsewhere then the buyer is simply foolhardy for poor research or choosing to pay over the odds for the convenience or "fun" of the auction.

A regrettable fact of life. Mind you I do wonder if Jamie could legitimately refuse to supply them (if he can identify them) should his charity happen to have any sort of restrictions on the resale of the goods it markets - although that would not prevent a re--seller selling things as 'second-hand' of course.

Mind you I do wonder if Jamie could legitimately refuse to supply them (if he can identify them) should his charity happen to have any sort of restrictions on the resale of the goods it markets

I stand to be corrected, but I think such restrictions would themselves be illegal unless they were universally applied. So no wholesale to Amazon for example. Of course they may apply this discretely rather than discriminatoryly, but then as you say this does nothing to stop the second-hand auctioning. You or I might choose to purchase direct and then having read and enjoyed the item, sell it on without further donation to the originator. This is much the same as any book where the originator does not get two cuts at the same cake for their royalties.

It is all just business, same as most items on this topic, we might not like the prices paid or asked for some of these items but either the model works and they make a profit or it doesn't and the items remain unsold.

Edited by Kenton
  • Like 2

I hope this isn't too far off topic but would be interested in what other readers think. I'm Secretary of a charity that funds tram restoration by publishing and selling quality books about the history of road transport in Leeds. this is done entirely at our own expense and risk and I do the distribution. We recently published a book and it has turned up for sale on Ebay at approximately double the cover price listed by an outfit called RoxyMedia. They claim to have 10 copies of all our 8 items, which even at wholesale rates would ahve cost them well over £1K and I would have been aware of the transaction as I would have had to package and post them.

It's perfectly legal not a scam. Why not compete and put some copies of your own on eBay and sell direct thus cutting out he middleman? Start with a reserve close to your cover price and see what they go for. You might end up with more money for your charity.

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

Bit different as its TT, alot there yes but I like his wording, as he has not actually paid for the reserve function he states as a base price for selling, if you bid less and win and he refused to sell it to you is that a punishable offence in ebay eyes?

AFAIK Yes! (Otherwise why have a reserve facility) and I consider there could be a legal issue with the contract (ie you could sue him for the goods - as I understand it, the contract with eBay is legally binding - I'm sure they can employ better lawyers than I can!).

Also, I wasn't too keen on the 'shouting' and poor punctuation (I found it quite difficult to make sense of it) and I think eBay would have issues with his attempt to use their site to sell items privately. (I'll leave aside his misuse of "WORTH" when he meant "valued at".)

Do the books show the normal price, and either have a priced list of other publications, or a link to a list? Buyers of overpriced copies would then only do it once, and may leave negative feedback, and spread the word about this seller.

• RMweb Premium

From research on the web it would appear that it is a form of scam in that they don't have any stock but list items at grossly inflated prices then when anyone is foolish enough to place an order they obtain the book/record/cd etc from Amazon or some other source and post it on.There appear to be some other similar schemes in the USA. I've reported the items to Ebay as suspicious but got no response. Has anyone else come across this firm?

Jamie

As others have said not a scam but just a way to make a bit of money.

I have come across a similar experience, but in this case the dealer was more open and was prepared to share any "excess" profits.

I was at a motor cycle race meeting some yeras ago with a good friend who is the author of several books on the subject.

We were approached by the son of a very famous rider and he offered to add the books about his father to his web site.

The author does not have a web site of his own but sells books at race meetings and through regular retail outlets.

His books regularly come up on ebay at grossly inflated prices when a phone call to the author would have resulted in a copy being offered at RRP.

The deal was that the chap would offer them for sale at an inflated price and then contact the author to send out the copies direct to the customers.

The price offered to the author if he agreed to the deal was way over the price he would have got through the trade.

One way out in this case is I suppose that when your ebay seller has sold a copy of a book and tries to order it from your stock to fulfill that order you could always manage to "loose" his order.

Bernard

Bernard

This is the third time I have seen these BLI hoppers listed for £29.80 . Listing says they are no longer available, Hattons have some for £19, less if you buy the bulk packs of 4 or 8. You would have thought by the 3rd attempt at selling them he would have realised he was asking too much.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181040941178&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

• RMweb Premium

As others have said not a scam but just a way to make a bit of money.

I have come across a similar experience, but in this case the dealer was more open and was prepared to share any "excess" profits.

I was at a motor cycle race meeting some yeras ago with a good friend who is the author of several books on the subject.

We were approached by the son of a very famous rider and he offered to add the books about his father to his web site.

The author does not have a web site of his own but sells books at race meetings and through regular retail outlets.

His books regularly come up on ebay at grossly inflated prices when a phone call to the author would have resulted in a copy being offered at RRP.

The deal was that the chap would offer them for sale at an inflated price and then contact the author to send out the copies direct to the customers.

The price offered to the author if he agreed to the deal was way over the price he would have got through the trade.

One way out in this case is I suppose that when your ebay seller has sold a copy of a book and tries to order it from your stock to fulfill that order you could always manage to "loose" his order.

Bernard

Bernard

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. I'll answer some of the points:-

1. The books don't show the normal price just the grossly inflated one.

2. RoxyMedia don't order from me as far as I know. I suspect that they order them either direct from Amazon or through one of the two main wholesalers that I supply. I never get to know who the wholesaler's customers are. That's just the way the book trade works.(I've had a crsh course over the past year).

3. We already list them on Amazon and end up making about the same as if we sell them via a wholesaler order, after the amazon fees have been deducted.

4. I will certainly look at whether or not it is viable for us to list them on Ebay. I don't want to commit us to continuing listing fees but it may be worth a try. There are no listing fees on Amazon, only the fee that they take when you sell via them.

I suppose the main point that I was trying to amek was that they tell lies when they advertise the books as they say they have 10 of everything in stock. As I have been in control of all sales for 2 years now I know for certain that they don't have that stock so they are telling lies to prospective buyers. delivery dates are quoted as being several days, which gives them chance to order the item from Amazon or myself. I would urge anyone else to be very careful if they order anything from this seller. Ebay don't seem bothered as they list over 2 miilion items and with my cynical hat on I would suspect that Ebay make a fortune in listing and seller fees from them.

In the US one of the similar sites has stopped listing books from some small independent publishers after threats of legal action by the publishers.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Well I am quietly surprised.

The books are no longer listed on Ebay so perhaps they have done something. All I can find are one secondhand copiy of One of our earlier books that I am still selling new copies of. I will certainly look and see if I can get them listed for a reasonable price.

Perhaps Ebay have lsitened but not bothered to tell me.

Jamie

I never get to know who the wholesaler's customers are.

they don't have that stock so they are telling lies to prospective buyers

In the US one of the similar sites has stopped listing books from some small independent publishers after threats of legal action by the publishers.

Are not those first two sentences contradictory. As you do not know the wholesaler's customers (and rightly so - that is entirely their business) you also do not have any idea of the stock level of this seller.

The laws in the US are likely to be different and who knows the effect of any bullying persuasive tactics employed by the big publisher over the little man.

While I see this particular seller has removed the listing - I think they may well feel aggrieved at any similar persuasive tactics shown here. It might not feel right in your eyes or those of any others. But this practice is all part of honest business. Stock levels are meaningless as they are always a flux withing the day-to-day operation of a business.

• RMweb Premium

Are not those first two sentences contradictory. As you do not know the wholesaler's customers (and rightly so - that is entirely their business) you also do not have any idea of the stock level of this seller.

The laws in the US are likely to be different and who knows the effect of any bullying persuasive tactics employed by the big publisher over the little man.

While I see this particular seller has removed the listing - I think they may well feel aggrieved at any similar persuasive tactics shown here. It might not feel right in your eyes or those of any others. But this practice is all part of honest business. Stock levels are meaningless as they are always a flux withing the day-to-day operation of a business.

Thanks. The only reason I know they haven't got the stock is that I know exactly how many books have been despatched to the wholesalers over the past two years and the numbers don't add up. I'm aware that it isn't illegal It just seems wrong that someone should advertise goods for sale when they don't have them. As the seller and legal publisher I just didn't want unsuspecting buyers being ripped off. Even on Amazon they are shown as 'temporarily out of stock' which means that Amazon don't keep them in stock, however there is a listing for '2new at £.....) the link from which takes buyers to my listing which shows them as being in stock. I have noticved however that when I sell a few of the the same item via Amazon I then get an order via the wholesaler and Amazon then list them as being in stock.

In the US the lagal action over these sites has been taken by small independent publishers to protect their own reputation after complaints from customers.

The book distribution world is a strange one. My local branch of Waterstones (in Leeds) isn't allowed to buy direct (delivery by me the next day with no carriage costs) but have to order via the wholesalers in Eastbourne who then get charged £8.50 post and packing. The wholesalers then send it back to Leeds. (total of approx 5oo mile round trip) The RRP then gives Waterstones just over £1 profit on the book less any charges that the wholesaler applies. At least WHSmiths allow local purchases from independent publishers and have their system set up to do that. It's a strange world. One firm demanded a %55 discount on the rrp to stock the books which would have meant me selling at a loss. the main thing for me is that the books cointinue to sell. the earlier volumes are now well paid for so sales generate direct income for the Society that enables me to purchase the bits we need for the tram and enjoy my Wednesdays modelling at 12" to the foot.

Jamie

• Like 1

This is the third time I have seen these BLI hoppers listed for £29.80 . Listing says they are no longer available, Hattons have some for £19, less if you buy the bulk packs of 4 or 8. You would have thought by the 3rd attempt at selling them he would have realised he was asking too much.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...ME:B:SS:GB:1123

Technically he is correct 37-327B is no longer available.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann 32-781DS - CLASS 37/0 - 37057 - VIKING - DCC SOUND

NEW/STILL IN TISSUE PAPER

TEST RUN ONCE

It must have taken great skill to test run the loco then put it back in the box and replace the tissue paper without tearing it.

• Like 1

Guest Belgian
Here's an optimist. Those coaches would fetch around £5-00 each in a junk antiques shop I would have thought. Nothing wrong in asking for £30 each for them, but I think it qualifies for this topic's title - e-bay madness it is! Edited by Belgian

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

I love the way the weathering effects have been carefully observed and replicated on this superb example.....

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43b6b82676

BEFORE WEATHERING THIS ITEM WAS BRAND NEW AND COMES WITH THE ORIGINAL BOX.

Well that wording should overcome the remarks often made on this thread about a weatherd model also being new.

Edited by Colin_McLeod