EBay madness

Marcyg

Guest Belgian

I think some people look at old e-bay auctions to get an idea of 'value' and don't realise there are different versions of models. Why else would anyone think that an old Triang model of 'Sir Dinadin' is worth £60 - or even £79-50! - when recent versions of the fabulous modern 'King Arthurs' go for as little as £42?

Or are 'collectors' collectively mad?

JE

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

These appear to be sellers confusing 'cost' with 'worth'. The £1800 optimist might get half that from a dealer (assuming the dealer thinks there's a market, else it would be "No thanks!")

But he'd do a great deal better if he weren't so lazy. In these straitened times, no-one has £1800 - still less £3k - to blow on a semi-speculative collection. Selling individual items would appeal to the collectors - who as Jeremy points out, seem to lack any logic in their valuations, but apparently know which versions are rare, which are pants - and then the 4-figure sums might come in in little dollops. Drip-feeding is the way to make a success of it IMHO.
  • Like 1

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cbc57bf19

Must be that 'rare' J72 with the different chimney, Hornby/Triang couplings and no handrails along the boiler...

Apparently, one's already sold - don't hang about too much!

Love the way he describes it as "boxed" (with the quotes), meaning he's put it in a new box :rolleyes: The day Ebay implements a 'block seller' function and I can banish him, gosturd and various other shysters from my radar forever can't come soon enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone got a spare £40

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1e9c9fd3

Surely he is having a giraffe ??

I thought that the application of the Squadron Green putty was very well done, you can't see the joint line at all.

I'm going to buy it as it's got the instructions, and I'm going to see if he has a spare box to go with it as well.

Not

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

I thought that the application of the Squadron Green putty was very well done, you can't see the joint line at all.

I'm going to buy it as it's got the instructions, and I'm going to see if he has a spare box to go with it as well.

Not

OzzyO.

I believe the seller isn't too far from you. Maybe you could collect in person and save the postage? :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Not

OzzyO.

I like the way it's described as "hard to find". Airifx/Dapol must have produced tens of thousands of these kits over the last 50 years.

Anyway, that was the £40 badly constructed Airfix railbus. Here's the £60 one.

I like the bit where it states: "NOTE THESE MODELS CAN BE MOTORISED WITH A GOOD LEVEL OF SKILL" .....thats an under statement, well it could have been done if hadn't been slung together with a full tube of polystyrene cement!

• RMweb Gold

And all the top three bidders love retracting their bids so seller look out.

Ah I hadn't spotted that. So the highest bidder with no history of retractions is a more modest £250 instead of the £620 it's at now.