EBay madness

Marcyg

Wow you guys are brutal, no wonder people can be put off posting their work if this is how some behave.

Is it really that bad? and for £9 seems like a decent price.

Yes it really is that bad. £9 for a tri-ang moulded brake van which is worth about £1.50 unweathered. The standard of weathering has taken that £1.50 value down to around 25p.

• Like 1

Wow you guys are brutal, no wonder people can be put off posting their work if this is how some behave.

Now you know why people are very slow to put their work out there.

It must be very difficult being that perfect.

Maybe there should be a section for "Perfect People Only"

Only genius's need apply.

Criticism is all very well but it should be constructive.

• RMweb Premium

O/T

If anyone was to come on here (or more correctly in the weathering/painting section) and ask "how does this look?", I'm certain there would be constructive criticism.

One area of interest to me, is NR yellow stuff and if anyone asks me, I'm usually helpful as I hope a number of people would concur. Why else would I be doing step-by step guides in my workbench thread? Lots of others on here also have specific areas of interest, such as track, signals, LMS, etc and I know are similarly helpful. There are far too many examples of good constructive criticism on here to pick one.

Back on topic

What's happening here, is the peddling of this stuff on ebay to the unknown.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Now you know why people are very slow to put their work out there.

It must be very difficult being that perfect.

Maybe there should be a section for "Perfect People Only"

Only genius's need apply.

When the seller uses phrases like 'weathered to the highest standards' and the model fails to match the hype then it's not unfair that the gloves come off. Further down the description lies this priceless piece of utter b*ll*cks:

'Each item is individually weathered by hand and airbrush using a variety of techniques. Other sellers only use airbrushes creating unrealistic generic weathering. Each item in the real world is different and as such deserves our unique individual treatment in model form. The Weathering Works... It really does.'

The mismatch between tragic victim of The Weathering Works professional attentions and their self proclaimed abilities would be laughable save for the attempt to infer that other sellers use inferior techniques resulting in inferior models. If it was a one off, a rare aberration in a sea of excellence then I might have some sympathy with the point of view that the boot has gone in too hard but there's eight pages of 'Pro Weathered Look' nonsense, self promotion and disappointment to wade through.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 6

The Weathering Works dude was a member on here some time ago...

So rather than carry on slagging off a current member of this site, might it be better to stick to the more light-hearted side of things in this thread, which provides harmless entertainment for most of us? Anyone who really feels the need to take issue with his workmanship can possibly use the personal messaging function instead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So rather than carry on slagging off a current member of this site, might it be better to stick to the more light-hearted side of things in this thread, which provides harmless entertainment for most of us? Anyone who really feels the need to take issue with his workmanship can possibly use the personal messaging function instead.

Best off just ignoring his ads if you don't like the finished products.

Although its fair game for banter on his choice of football team - Everton?

• RMweb Premium

I think it's almost inevitable that e-bay madness as a topic will lead to some brutally honest points of view being expressed and given the size of the membership of RMweb that some members sales will come under the spotlight. Would I or should I moderate my comments if I knew the sale in question belonged to someone here? I honestly don't know, there are arguments both ways. I tend to think that there should not be one set of standards for those in the club and another for those outside. Perhaps the question is more about whether one should make negative criticisms at all? Then again if individuals didn't set themselves up as targets in the first place .....

However here's a refreshing piece of honesty; fantastic craftsmanship and a desire to ensure that any potential buyers are fully aware of the drawbacks.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I felt that the £9 brake van was worthy of inclusion in this thread as it was:-

a) described as Pro weathered or something on those lines.

B) rather expensive given the probable value of the original item.

That to me renders both the item and the seller open to sarcastic, critical. and wee wee taking comment.

Brutal? Me? You should see me when I do put the boot in.

It should not matter if said seller is a member on here or not.

However if the same item were to be posted on the forum under "first attempt at weathering using a scrap wagon of little value as a test piece" I am sure that the poster would receive a very different set of replies.

Bernard

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Starting price of ninety four notes for this piece of old crap which doesn't even have a box or its other half!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-R156-4-sub-EMU-Power-Car-S1057S-2nd-LAST-VERSION-NEAR-MINT-/221129004913?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337c50d771

Starting price of ninety four notes for this piece of old crap which doesn't even have a box or its other half!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337c50d771

It is highly collectable - you appear to need to part with £40 just to obtain the common versions (Don't ask me why...) - and this one is in nice condition.

Also we are dealing with another in the Gostude tradition..

This junk for example - a tenner at most?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-0-4-0-Class-V100-040DE532-SNCF-blue-1980s-set-version-NEAR-MINT-/221128999004?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item337c50c05c#ht_842wt_1346

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item337c50d771

Nice of him to put the Power Car on a correct looking Tri-ang box for the photo, but only in the small print does it say it is actually unboxed.

As a side issue, if it is 'un-run' it should have a sticky label tag on one of the power bogie axles. You would have to take the tag off to run it.