EBay madness

Marcyg

As stated there are sniping programmes available, which save waiting to the last moment. You still are limited by your maximum bid, bid it stops anyone else overbidding at the last moment. However for two equal bids the first bid bid wins.

I always go on the principle that like buses there will be another along later, when I'm outbid. There's also one less bidder to contend with. (Unless they're greedy and want two, of course.)

Edited by Il Grifone

The great thing about snipe bidding (yes, you can do it yourself - if you are quick and prepared to be logged on ebay all the hours, or you can download one - if you leave your PC on all hours and have a superfast broadband, or use some third party web site - I use several but ez-sniper seems to win most often for me, so the great thing is that you do not expose your bid until the dying seconds often as little as 1-5 seconds (faster than most hand operators could manage). Most snipe bidding use a credit system you buy snipes and use one for each item (success or fail) but a snipe bid will only be entered if your maximum exceeds the price at the point bidding is made. Some snipe programs allow conditional bidding, so your bid only goes to an item you have a chance of winning and if you win the other items are cancelled. But as said above - your bid must still be high enough to win - and you need to be aware that there are other snipers out there who may well be bidding more.

With this sniping thing, if you have put your max bid on EBay at say £50 and your winning at £35, you join one of these sniper sites, would it know that it was you that was winning at £35, but you have decided to have your sniping total at £70. If some one came in and put a bid in at £47.50 and the Ebay bid went to £50 for you would it still try to win it from you. If you see what I mean.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

With this sniping thing, if you have put your max bid on EBay at say £50 and your winning at £35, you join one of these sniper sites, would it know that it was you that was winning at £35, but you have decided to have your sniping total at £70. If some one came in and put a bid in at £47.50 and the Ebay bid went to £50 for you would it still try to win it from you. If you see what I mean.

OzzyO.

The sniping tool I use will always put a bid in, whether I am the current high bidder or not, as long as the current price on the item hasn't gone over my maximum limit. It doesn't matter if you are currently the top bidder, the sniping tool uses your existing Ebay login so Ebay knows it's you bidding.

It's no different to you increasing your bid during an auction when you are already winning, Ebay doesn't change the item price but other bidders would now have to bid more than before to outbid you.

Martin

OzzyO.

Yes it would know - well the ones I use do. But it doesn't matter does it. If you are winning at £35 then you can make another bid through ebay directly at say £50 and it doesn't increase the end price, just comes into effect if someone outbids you (may be a snipe) but never bid more than you are prepared to pay - even if that might seem madness to some. if you desperately want something then bidding over the odds (or the odds perceived by others only interested) might be the only way to get the item. But if the item is available from a different source at a lower price then that is either poor research or plain madness.

Yes it would know - well the ones I use do. But it doesn't matter does it. If you are winning at £35 then you can make another bid through ebay directly at say £50 and it doesn't increase the end price, just comes into effect if someone outbids you (may be a snipe) but never bid more than you are prepared to pay - even if that might seem madness to some. if you desperately want something then bidding over the odds (or the odds perceived by others only interested) might be the only way to get the item. But if the item is available from a different source at a lower price then that is either poor research or plain madness.

Hello Kenton all,

the reason that I asked was I was bidding on some G.W.R.Js. (0 - 30) so 31 of them (I only wanted 12 of them, so the rest will go for sale). I was winning them at £41 and had a top bid on EBay of £50, as I had been out bid by 0.50p in the last seconds on a previous bid and did not want to be outbid on these, so I joined one of these sniper sites, that was why I was a bit worried that it may take my own bid of £50 and out bid me. I put a max. bid of £90.00 on the sniper site.

I know that £90 + P&P may sound a lot but as some of the book sellers are asking up to £5 for some copies I could have had to pay up to £60 just for the 12 + P&P on each one.

In the end I got them for £41 + P&P.

Lets just say that OzzyO is a happy man, skint but happy.

So if your after some early G.W.R.Js. keep an eye out on the market place or EBay. More than likely the market place first.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

• RMweb Gold

£111k, and reserve not met at time of posting this. This is all getting rather silly.

...and sad ....... these people who were chosen to run with one seem to care so little about it or are just plain greedy. There would have been thousands of people who'd love to have been able to run with one and been able to keep it....despite what you might think about the olympics, I think that it's just plain disrespectful....but that's just my opinion.

• Like 11

...and sad ....... these people who were chosen to run with one seem to care so little about it or are just plain greedy. There would have been thousands of people who'd love to have been able to run with one and been able to keep it....despite what you might think about the olympics, I think that it's just plain disrespectful....but that's just my opinion.

and I bet that it wont go to a charity.

• Like 3

Well I thought there will be only one any way, as the torch will be passed from one runner to the next so it is a con. I wonder how long before it is taken down.

• RMweb Premium

Also part of the way it is being transported by car between key locations. We are waiting for it to encounter Woodgate Level Crossing in a few weeks time which is on our patch, the prediction is that one of our Class 313's will join in the Olympic spirit and break down on the level crossing just before it gets there.... :butcher: :jester: :triniti: