EBay madness

Marcyg

That tinplate coach looks very much like the 'bonus finds' I get when dragging a 250 Franny Barnett out of a coal shed. There's always something like old Triang Hornby with rusty axles or an old Primus stove with the jets bunged up. 

It would be worth a bit if it wasn't knackered!

It's rarely like my sister who was given a small teapot by a work colleague that was "clearing all the rubbish out of a great aunt's house before selling it" and knew she liked "weird old bits of pottery".

You've probably already guessed that the weird teapot was a Clarice Cliff circa 1931.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It's a bit of a rustbucket....

Looks like the AI can now present in tabular* form!

"Guard Surburban Coach" is a new one, why not just call it a Brake Third? 

And it does mention its a 3-rail model hidden in the item specifics, but not in the main description....

* Or even "bullet point"? 🤔

I’m intrigued as to how the (presumably) AI-invented name of this poor wee contraption also ends up listed as a ‘feature’ 🤔

Edited by 40152
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

On 30/08/2024 at 17:33, MrWolf said:

I think that if I was paying over a grand for four six wheel coaches I could expect to be chased around the garden by a slightly unhinged young lady armed with a sword....

Sounds like the model railway episode from Game of Thrones!?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

It's a bit of a rustbucket..

Not 'arf it is.

As the name TinTracks might imply I'm, more than slightly, inclined to the 3 rail persuasion. Stuff like that poor thing is always welcome at TinTracks Towers as suitable repaint fodder. --At the right price-- say a quid or 50p each at a bootsale. I showed Lady TinTracks  the ebay add and she reminded me of an ''incident'' one time we visited a certain model shop in ermmm lets just say Wales. Let me explain-----

Pre Covid we used to stay at the Goat Hotel, Llanfair Caereinion about 3 or 4 time a year. Great Pub and lovely people. When it comes to the ''Real Thing'' we're both commited Narrow Gaugers and Llanfair is central to all the major NG Lines. The missus is also modeller in 1/12th so a shopping trip to look for bargains, items of interest, is always on the cards.

On entering the un named model shop we noticed that the shop was empty apart from the Gaffer who was deep in conversation with a couple of blokes. We had a little toddle round and I spotted the ''bargain bin'' here we go thought I.

There was a box full of scrap HD 3R stuff, Subs, Staniers and Gresleys, in worse nick than this poor thing. Total scrap.Then I noticed the asking price. From memory about £15.00 each!!!!

I'm deeply ashamed of the next bit. I burst out laughing and, without thinking, said aloud '' If these are worth £15.00 each then you and me are xxxing millionaires. This outburst was really out of character for me. I'm normally a very quiet, conservative old Yorkshire geezer.Whoops. Boy did we get dirty looks. I haven't dared set foot in there since and it must have been 15 years ago.

The thing is there are still people who think '' Hmmm Grandads Trains, sez Meccano, must be worth a fortune , seen it on telly'' 

Ah well, that passed 20 mins. Rant over

Regards to all. Rich

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, TinTracks said:

I'm deeply ashamed of the next bit. I burst out laughing and, without thinking, said aloud '' If these are worth £15.00 each then you and me are xxxing millionaires. This outburst was really out of character for me. I'm normally a very quiet, conservative old Yorkshire geezer.Whoops. Boy did we get dirty looks. I haven't dared set foot in there since and it must have been 15 years ago.

The thing is there are still people who think '' Hmmm Grandads Trains, sez Meccano, must be worth a fortune , seen it on telly'' 

Ah well, that passed 20 mins. Rant over

Regards to all. Rich

Go in next time you're in town, satisfy your curiosity as to whether they are still for sale, plus inflation!

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Those Hattons coaches  went for over a grand in the end.  I reckon they will be relisted due to non paying bidders pretty soon though.

There was a retracted bid from a new entrant (another 'private' bidder) into the fray for £1360....  All very fishy...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Those Hattons coaches  went for over a grand in the end.  I reckon they will be relisted due to non paying bidders pretty soon though.

There was a retracted bid from a new entrant (another 'private' bidder) into the fray for £1360....  All very fishy...

It got upto £1600 at one point, then obviously bids were retracted.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

People mucking about??

Sounds like it.

Accounts that bid it up to £1600 should be investigated* by ebay, but that won't happen, will it.

* And cancelled, but that won't happen either.

• Agree 4

On 30/08/2024 at 21:30, John M Upton said:

Interesting, the two main drivers of the insane bidding, one has a feedback score of just three, the other has hidden their feedback as private.

I smell a rat, the seller will be putting in a non paying bidder report I reckon.

shill bidding I suspect

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

somebody who never existed

Sorry, there is corroborating proof of the existence of such a man in the surviving Roman records.

As to his relationship to any deity,  the Romans wouldn't put that down in writing...

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186579133195

"Split by Jesus himself.. allegedly"

image.png.6d43edef88dcf2d8887b9cf8dba67ada.png

I've got a 1951 Triumph headlamp rim, dented by Miss Riding Hood.*

There's documented proof that she exists, so it's got to be worth at least half a million...**

*When using the prop stand, thou shalt always ensure the ground beneath be solid. Here endeth the lesson.

**She has also performed miracles, such as putting up with me since 2019.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3