EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Seen on another thread:

"Farish Class 40 - How to remove bogies?"

I was SO TEMPTED! - 'Grasp tissue and blow hard!'

I was considering saying "send it to Crewe".

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Deeps said:

This is quite interesting:

IMG_0486.png.ec124ff9595b213855feda6fd9179c3f.png

Normally its just the tender thats displayed back to front. 🤔

As for the description... 🤪

• Agree 2

In fairness the starting price is fairly reasonable, and someone may end up with a bargain (if they are after a Schools). Whilst we may wax lyrical about faulty descriptions this is the sort of thing we dream of - a model offered for sale where the seller doesn’t know what it is or what value it should have.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355927103426

"WILL NEED SOME TLC AS SOME PIECES MISSING/DAMAGED BUT OVERALL GOOD - (I AM UNABLE TO TEST SO SOLD AS SEEN)"

I PACK WELL.  Why bother when you've already thown it on a concrete floor a times ?

Overall good?

Eh?🤔

Looks like its been severely mauled and kept in a dust-rich environment.  Then there's the completely missing motion work ON BOTH SIDES.

I don't think I'd even take it off him for free, if only to give it a decent burial.....

Edited by Hroth
missing 'e'
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I don't think I'd even take it off him for free

Oh I would, if only to beat him mercilessly about the head with it, and I'm not even a kettle fan, but there are limits to ones levels of acceptability!!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Overall good?

Eh?🤔

Looks like its been severely mauled and kept in a dust-rich environment.  Then there's the completely missing motion work ON BOTH SIDES.

I don't think I'd even take it off him for free, if only to give it a decent burial.....

There seems to be an increasing number of damaged items that are appearing for sale with the ‘derelict / abandoned’ title slapped hastily on them. How long until we see this gem bought, upcycled with a quick haze of matt brown, a liberal sprinkle of static nose hair and bingo! another ‘scrap loco ideal for scrapyard scenes’ at double the price shown here?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

On 07/08/2024 at 12:11, Michael Hodgson said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355927103426

"WILL NEED SOME TLC AS SOME PIECES MISSING/DAMAGED BUT OVERALL GOOD - (I AM UNABLE TO TEST SO SOLD AS SEEN)"

I PACK WELL.  Why bother when you've already thown it on a concrete floor a times ?

Maybe a more accurate description would be:-

"A rare oppurtunity to own a model of Tornado, which was once part of Pablo Escobar's UK outline model train collection. The dust on the solebar can't be identified as legal, minor damage suffered when his property was raided. Do not miss this unique oppurtunity to add this once in a lifetime opportunity, to add this highly detailed model to your collection. Comes boxed, police raid may be optional."

• Funny 4

34 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Maybe a more accurate description would be:-

"A rare oppurtunity to own a model of Tornado, which was once part of Pablo Escobar's UK outline model train collection. The dust on the solebar can't be identified as legal, minor damage suffered when his property was raided. Do not miss this unique oppurtunity to add this once in a lifetime opportunity, to add this highly detailed model to your collection. Comes boxed, police raid may be optional."

one of his pet hippos trod on it during the ensuing raid?

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Metr0Land said:

An interesting concept though?, shame about the 3d print quality.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

An interesting concept though?, shame about the 3d print quality.

Mike.

I know its one of ours, but I don't think the level of armour plate would help protect it if a rocket-firing Typhoon had misidentified it.  And if it were Typhoon proof, it probably wouldn't be able to move under its own steam...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

Pedantic hat on. Even if such things had been built, they would not have been shipped over to the continent on D Day, there being no tracks in Allied hands in France for some time afterwards!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I suspect that someone took a look at the RHDR locos?

Mini-Armored-Train.jpg.d9f16b436bb0703ed2b898f127577451.jpg

Photo: We are the mighty

Operated by the Home Guard. I believe, for Coastal Defence.

Not much protection for anyone on board, and one wonders if it would have been much protection if strafed by an Me109...

It reminds me of the "just making the effort" of GWR streamlining!

• RMweb Premium

It is reported that the RH&D armoured train was strafed by a German fighter. The pilot thought it was a full size train and as a result flew into the ground.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Pedantic hat on. Even if such things had been built, they would not have been shipped over to the continent on D Day, there being no tracks in Allied hands in France for some time afterwards!

Such things were built, 150+ I believe, but they were only proof against small arms fire. The only useful thing about the armour was it increased the weight and improved the traction qualities.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1