EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Deeps said:

Hopefully, therefore, you weren’t one of those doing the cutting N shutting?

Around that time, well a decade and a half before, I learned lots about cutting and shutting with gas axe, welder and grinder building a steel* narrowboat, so I suppose I could have turned a hand to it.

* Apparently a lot of the steel used was offcuts from Cammel Lairds...

Edited by Hroth
Echo removal...
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, PatB said:

Didn't everyone?

Not me, I ran a Mk2 Astra GTE, a proper hot hatch that also went around corners... 😆

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, 33C said:

If I have to weld another Fiesta (non) floor, .....

I'll be Even Better at it!

Learn to weld.

Buy a Transit!

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Misread as: 'Learn to weld - Buy a Train set'! 😎

It's why some people complain about poor running. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

18 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Misread as: 'Learn to weld - Buy a Train set'! 😎

15 hours ago, kevinlms said:

It's why some people complain about poor running. 

No wonder some of you have trouble with your DCC chips if you're putting 180 amps through them.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Adding salt and vinegar not recomended either!

You have to use real vinegar as flux, not that "non-brewed condiment" rubbish...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Mendacious Chiseller Alert 

Check out this listing - absolutely misrepresenting the item for sale both in the description and in the capitalised NEW in the title…

IMG_5563.jpeg.775c7315444e34a20cb8db454bd32255.jpeg

Admittedly, there were new, once long ago…

Although I’ve never known Hornby (or Triang, or even Hornby Dublo or even Graham Farish) ever produce weathered Pullman coaches from new!

Steve S

• Like 3

On 02/06/2024 at 20:49, Hroth said:

Pyss*-taking is done by those who want to replace what heritage we have with something "relevant"...

* Is this what is referred to as "vowel-shifting"? 🤔

No, he's just speaking with a Welsh accent.

• Like 2

On 12/06/2024 at 04:24, pH said:

Nearly $50 (including postage) for an empty box??!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/196439603085

Not just postage, there's the cost of the packaging ...

He can't put anything in the box to resist crushing in transit, or it won't be an empty box.

So he'll have to wrap it in a larger, stronger box to ensure that it doesn't get crushed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this a little overpriced?

Oxford Rail 7 Plank Wagon

I wondered if the seller had seen another similar listing for a set of THREE of these wagons for that same price, and mistook that price for a single item, so before messaging I checked their other items for sale…

Nope, good old fashioned mendacious chiselling, as I know for a fact that I bought the Oxford Rail Banana Van from a retail shop for just over £16… 

Strange really - when I sell things second hand, I expect to get less for them (as they have been used and depreciated in value) not double their value!

Well, not unless I have a Rembrandt or a Stradavarius to sell…

Steve S

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well, not unless I have a Rembrandt or a Stradavarius to sell…

Knowing my luck, I'd have the world's only Rembrandt violin and Stradivarius painting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/06/2024 at 13:07, SteveyDee68 said:

Mendacious Chiseller Alert 

Check out this listing - absolutely misrepresenting the item for sale both in the description and in the capitalised NEW in the title…

IMG_5563.jpeg.775c7315444e34a20cb8db454bd32255.jpeg

Admittedly, there were new, once long ago…

Although I’ve never known Hornby (or Triang, or even Hornby Dublo or even Graham Farish) ever produce weathered Pullman coaches from new!

Steve S

They look suspiciously like the ones I had about 1980.

Except that the bogies appear to have the holes in the axle boxes for the wire axle as fitted by Triang back in the sixties?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

They look suspiciously like the ones I had about 1980.

Except that the bogies appear to have the holes in the axle boxes for the wire axle as fitted by Triang back in the sixties?

I had a response to my message … it makes for interesting reading …

I admit I may have been a little short in my original message …

”The coaches you have shown are not NEW - they are from Triang Hornby days of big tension lock couplings and non pin-point bearing wheels. These are not even as good as the Railroad models currently available from Hornby. I am contacting eBay as this is obvious misrepresentation in your item description.”

However, I think I have got my facts straight - @MrWolf’s comment above throws even more shade on the items!

The seller responded:

“Thanks for your message, Steve.

Whilst it is your prerogative as to reporting the listing to eBay, I'm happy to confirm that these are new.

They were part of a new set which I have split to sell. As explained in the listing, these are the Railroad style models - which though largely unchanged since their Tri-ang days and not currently available at Hornby, are still part of the Hornby range  and a staple of many of their sets - or they were until recently if not released again.

Please note that any part of the pictures that leave you with the impression that these are not new, should be considered part of the weathering - as it will be - but they are new.

I hope that this is of help.

Best regards

Bryan CT”

Is @Ruffnut Thorston about? I feel the need for some authoritative knowledge regarding these coaches is needed -

1) When did Triang/Hornby start using clips to mount bogies to coaches instead of rivets?

2) When did Triang/Hornby stop using the open axle box bogie side frames (as used with non-pinpoint axles)?

3) Have Triang/Hornby ever produced weathered Pullman coaches as a factory applied finish?

4) If weathering is applied post purchase, does that nullify any description of an item as being “new” as it is no longer in the state in which it was originally sold?

Curiouser and curiouser!!

Steve S

PS

Unusually, I have included the seller’s name (as signed) just in case it is someone known to the RMWeb collective!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added questions after accidentally posting early!!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Okay - maybe I am getting a bit fixated, but I believe that the Pullman coaches provided in the “boxed” sets (the ones with the separate drawers for loco, coaches, track etc in a kind of “chest” formation) were the more up to date “Railroad” style coaches.

This listing is ringing all sorts of alarm bells for me…

IMG_5575.jpeg.60cbc43a69ae2c75e8500123c19ae351.jpeg

First off, the big METAL couplings which I think were phased out quite some time ago. Secondly, the holes in the axle boxes on the bogies, which makes me think “Triang Hornby” which certainly predates the “Railroad” branding. And thirdly, no pictures of the coaches outside of the box - for example, the undersides, which would provide a hell of a lot more information about the provenance of these models.

I have this deep sense that older models have been placed into more modern packaging (which, of course, they fit) in an attempt by the seller to pass them off as more modern models. If that is the case, it isn’t mendacious chiselling but straight up fraud😡

Thoughts*, my fellow madness watchers?

Steve S

* Other than “Yes, Steve, you are becoming fixated” 🤣

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmmmm

I’ve just second guessed myself by staring at lots of Railroad Pullman coaches on eBay, and the holes in the axle boxes seem to be present on nearly all of them, although some appear to be “filled in” whereas others appear to be “right through”…

I guess I need someone authoritative on RMWeb about when mouldings on these models were updated to break me free from my current obsession, or point me in the right direction to research that myself!

Cheers

Steve S

• Like 2