EBay madness

Marcyg

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Surely it would now be Dr Miss Riding Floppy Hat? 🤔

Only has two hats, one is crash helmet, other is summer hat which is bigger than she is and makes her look like Bond villain.

PS, floppy hats are for Coldplay fans and she really doesn't like Coldplay.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

That sounds like an average Monday now my other half is officially Dr Miss Riding Hood.

Tomorrow the world...

'The Doctor will see you now.' 😉

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Can't think why those sets aren't available anymore!

They still are - you just need to find the shops that North Korea frequent.

49 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Not many, apparently only 5000 kits were sold as as they were a bit more expensive than the usual "mad scientist" chemistry sets* that were sold in the USA.  Some Universities bought them...

* Some of the chemicals provided in US chemistry sets were a bit lethal.  UK Merit chemistry sets of the time contained magnesium ribbon, but that was about as far as we were provided with!

Magnesium ribbon. A perfect fuse for thermite.

Not that I would know that of course, and I certainly did not "borrow" any ingredients from my secondary school chemistry department. Nope, not me.

• Funny 6

1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

Not that I would know that of course, and I certainly did not "borrow" any ingredients from my secondary school chemistry department. Nope, not me.

Making gunpowder was always quite amusing......

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Making gunpowder was always quite amusing......

One of our chemistry teachers also did the lighting and other effects for the school productions - musical, gymnastics, plays and so on.

One particular play had the need for a loud bang at the end, so he dipped into his chemistry background and came up with something. He knew it was going to make a bit of a big bang, so opted to place the charge in an old metal water tank, one of the thick galvanised steel riveted together jobbies.

Worked very well. Except on the last night of the show he decided they should go out with a bigger bang - so tweaked the recipe. The resultant kablam popped quite a few rivets, splintered the table the tank was sitting on, and took out several stage lights that were 20ft above.

I suspect some of the actors and most of the audience are still suffering an element of PTSD.

• Funny 9

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Because some unknown kid combined the two, and 'Kitten Kong destroy Slough!'

You're thinking of Sir John Betjeman who, before he was appointed as Poet Laureate, wrote

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn't fit for humans now,
There isn't grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Sparklers work rather well and are easier to get hold of.

So I'm told....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

My partner isn't 'that kind of doctor' either, but sometimes I just can't help myself! 🎓 😎

It worries me when in so many instances the title of Doctor is preceded by Mad, Evil and suchlike in modern culture!

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

It worries me when in so many instances the title of Doctor is preceded by Mad, Evil and suchlike in modern culture!

Mike.

Its the residual distrust of too much learning, of those clever beggars who know more than you do.  As the vice-chancellor of my university said while shaking my hand as he awarded me my MSc, "I hope it was worth it".

Its not what you want to hear, and no, it wasn't...

A Doctorate is a "Floppy Hat" degree because the academic dress includes a soft Tudor bonnet, rather than the hard mortar board of a Bachelors or Masters degree.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

'Is there a doctor in the house?' But which doctor?? 😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

No, I don't want the witch doctor.  I want a proper doctor.

He was much better in The Navy Lark...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its the residual distrust of too much learning, of those clever beggars who know more than you do. 

It starts early too, got lots of stick at junior school for being a "Boff", not being into football etc ceter-bloody-ra. 

This was made worse by the fact that I was no fun to pick on because I would get annoyed and John Wayne you with a chair...

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

As the vice-chancellor of my university said while shaking my hand as he awarded me my MSc, "I hope it was worth it".

Its not what you want to hear, and no, it wasn't...

Likewise, not once has anyone asked to see any of my academic qualifications, I was asked for a copy of my IPAF certificate once and found that interviewers are more impressed by my blink and you'll miss it military career.

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

A Doctorate is a "Floppy Hat" degree because the academic dress includes a soft Tudor bonnet, rather than the hard mortar board of a Bachelors or Masters degree.

She grumbled about both as it messed with her hair.

Yet it's never an issue with a crash helmet, I suspect hair concerns are overridden by enjoying herself.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

My partner isn't 'that kind of doctor' either, but sometimes I just can't help myself! 🎓 😎

That's the trouble with the term 'Doctor', it's usually assumed that it refers to a medical doctor.

But a large number wouldn't know a thing about medicine.

At a previous job someone pointed out that a particular doctor, should get a priority service, due to the title. Until someone pointed out that this individual 'doctor' was actually a doctor of music and so deserved no priority at all!

• Funny 4

Posted (edited)

It doesn't always work out well, I remember some years ago when a paediatrician ended up with a lynch mob outside his house who clearly had literacy problems.

Fixed it @The Johnster

Edited by MrWolf
General illiteracy
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

His house had literacy problems?  But, but, most do, don't they, buildings are not renowned for their literary ability...

IIRC that was on the Dyffryn estate, Newport, back in the 80s; not Wales' proudest moment! 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

His house had literacy problems?  But, but, most do, don't they, buildings are not renowned for their literary ability.

Yes, I did scribble that in a bit of a rush and autocorrect was busy trying to trip me up.

I will stay behind after class and write 1,000,000,000 lines etc.....

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

IIRC that was on the Dyffryn estate, Newport, back in the 80s; not Wales' proudest moment! 

I thought it was the 90s, but to be honest those decades were a bit of a blur... 😜

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Careful! That may become a thesis! Then you may become Dr Wolf!

I'll stick with being Mr Wolf, it gets more laughs...

19 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As long as he doesn't become a Fokke Wolf!

Mike.

There are those who already believe me to be a bit of a Fokke...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'll stick with being Mr Wolf, it gets more laughs...

Oh I don't know? There would be endless opportunites for: 'Step behind the screen' moments. And the old classic: 'You will feel a sharp scratch'!

• Funny 2