EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly something dredged out of the town fountain at Pripyat?

It has done for years, which is why "coppers" became copper plated steel around 1993.

I've got jars of coppers dating back to then, so it might be worth my while to sift the proper money out before dumping them at the bank, before it gets shut down....

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've got jars of coppers dating back to then, so it might be worth my while to sift the proper money out before dumping them at the bank, before it gets shut down....

Ours closed down two years ago, so what was a four mile round trip for any out of the ordinary items is now a fifty eight mile round trip.

It's easy to say use internet banking or a tedious and phone memory sucking app blah blah, but some hill farmer selling the rusty remains of an old Velocette only deals in cash.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

So what about Vectis Madness?

Firstly I thought their auctions were on a particular day but I seem to have found an ebay type auction with an end date.

Anyway, a pair of Class 37s, estimate £110 to £130, current bid with 3 weeks to go, £180. I'd assume that will increase but  there is 22.5% on top of the final bid plus VAT plus £19.95 for postage.

So the £180 is already £284.55 if my maths is correct.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Just seen a modern tooling Farish Large Logo Class 37 go for the thick end of two hundred sheets plus postage.  They were available freely for ninety to a hundred and ten originally.

Seems to be some sort of insanity whenever one of those comes up, even a wrecked one the other day got nearly a hundred!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Just seen a modern tooling Farish Large Logo Class 37 go for the thick end of two hundred sheets plus postage.  They were available freely for ninety to a hundred and ten originally.

Seems to be some sort of insanity whenever one of those comes up, even a wrecked one the other day got nearly a hundred!

Beyond nutz!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Ours closed down two years ago, so what was a four mile round trip for any out of the ordinary items is now a fifty eight mile round trip.

The branch closes on 8th July - they had a notice in the window.  Bustards!

We're going to get one of those "Banking Hub" thingies, where the "big" banks will have a drone in attendance once a week* for face to face consultations and a post office countery thing for cash and cheque** transactions.  Probably some generic cash machines*** too.  There might be one of those ripoff Coinstar machines for "convenience".

* Until they discontinue the service because "nobody uses it".

** Aimed at pensioners, apparently.  That'll probably go too.

*** It'll eventually become a cash machine only operation.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I understand that this is maybe not ebay madness in the true sense of the word but why oh why do people list things as "Job Lot" when it is one train set, or train pack. It is one item for heaven's sake, not a "job lot"!

Sorry to take you time with my ranting, but I have now got that off my chest thanks to you dear friends!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

On 07/05/2024 at 17:45, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

That’s about all I have positive to say, the locomotive had ZERO padding inside the box and was loosely floating about (no damage I can see, but still a bad choice on his end), not to mention he only sent the locomotive in its GraFar box, wrapped in bubble wrap and covered in a plain white plastic wrap, no second box to protect the quite thin, feeble GraFar box, nope!

That's pretty poor but par for the course for some sellers, sadly. I resell on ebay and our packing for that item would be to wrap the loco in bubble wrap, then inside corrugated cardboard roll to keep it fixed inside it's box. We would then wrap he GraFar box in bubble wrap and enclose the whole thing in twin wall carboard, we use A3 sheets which we cut into a simple box profile. Then tapes up with Fragile tape and covered in "OO Heaven FRAGILE" stickers. It takes a little effort but only five minutes and it ensures things get where they are going in the condition they should do. It's about taking care I suppose

• Like 5

When I worked for a clearing bank, there was a visible pattern to cash flow.

On Friday afternoon the pubs would come in and want large quuantites of coin, to issue as change over the weekend.

On Monday morning they'd come in again with a large sum in banknotes.

The Vicar would also come in on Monday, with a large quantity of coin (although nowhere near what the pubs had taken out)

Some branches had a net inflow of notes and outflow of coin.  Other branches were the reverse.

The bullion van came round to rebalance it allon a pre-planned basis.  This was at irregular intervals to minimise risk of a raid, and the route varied on a carefully pre-planned basis to avoid it building up very large sums part-way round its trip.

Regional cash centre collected all the grotty notes unfit for reissue, and the Scotch & Irish Notes, and would supply new notes - which were usually used in the ATMs as they were rather picky about the paper quality.  They, with the BofE, dealt with inter-bank imbalances of distribution of cash in circulation.

• Informative/Useful 6

6 hours ago, PMW said:

I understand that this is maybe not ebay madness in the true sense of the word but why oh why do people list things as "Job Lot" when it is one train set, or train pack. It is one item for heaven's sake, not a "job lot"!

Sorry to take you time with my ranting, but I have now got that off my chest thanks to you dear friends!

Better out than in!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 298 said:

Athearn B&O observation coach? Looks more like a pile of spare parts from RTR and Ian Kirk? kits...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226069236587

Seems to be a common problem with UK based sellers and US HO scale stuff, particularly Athearn Blue Boxes.  Useful boxes, often used for storing bits in, but then when a junk dealer like this one clears the house, they often take what is printed on the end of the box as gospel and sell accordingly.  More often than not the contents of Athearn boxes and what is written on the end are of absolutely no relation whatsoever, this is an extreme case mind!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/05/2024 at 12:51, PMW said:

Job Lot" when it is one train se

You're misreading it - the sellers name is actually Jo Blott...

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If your into Lilliput Lane models they're a bargain, they fetch big money.

I think the prices paid by collectors will like anything be dictated by size and most importantly its rarity. As for scale I have no idea what if any scale comes into it ?

The only thing that comes to mind that may increase the value is the wedding couple rather than the removal firm, but then I have my railway modelers cap on rather any knowledge on the subject. Looking at eBay only looked at 2 page worth but no bids

Google states

common models can be picked up for a few pounds.

Confirms my sisters small collection will go to the charity shop if I have to deal with them 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Love the guy pushing a piano across the lawn, all on his own. I rather suspect he won't get far!

Dad! Do you know the pianos on my foot?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Dad! Do you know the pianos on my foot?

"You hum it son, I'll play it...."

(Gawd, that shows my age...)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3